R4 or wait for CycloEvo

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by r1co281, May 22, 2007.

May 22, 2007

R4 or wait for CycloEvo by r1co281 at 4:39 AM (4,660 Views / 0 Likes) 41 replies

1. r1co281
    OP

Newcomer r1co281 Member

United States
    I recently made the mistake of buying a DS-X. But thankfully I was able to return it for a full refund cuz the 16gb thing didn't even work. (Though they just fixed the bug that was in it but I kinda don't care anymore)

So now I'm thinking about buying an R4 or should I wait for the CycloEvo? (like 15 days away?)

lately I've been hearing about the R4's spring breaking allot for the microsd thing? So im not sure if I should go with the R4. Whats everyones opinion.

2. ProjectVirtue

Newcomer ProjectVirtue Advanced Member

Canada
    i'm waiting for the cyclo. it seems better all around

3. aslacker55

Member aslacker55 I like pie

United States
    I say wait for the reviews of the cycloEvo and then make a decision. But if you can't wait that long, just get a R4.

4. ImprezaSTi

Newcomer ImprezaSTi Member

Canada
    the cyclo seems like its worth the wait

5. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    I thought the same for the G6DSR. It wasn't worth the wait [​IMG]

6. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    Nothing is worth the wait if a currently available product meets your needs and fits your price range.

You could wait for the CycloDS, and it might be really good, or it might have big problems and annoyances. It might be available when they say it will, or it might take an extra four months. Meanwhile, the R4 and the N-Card (and its clones) are available now, they work, they're cheap, and you know what you're getting.

A better product will always be coming out soon, but that doesn't matter. You could be playing now.

7. R4seller

Member R4seller GBAtemp Regular

Hong Kong
    Wait and see the comment of the Cyclo

8. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    Most people have the R4. You can get them really cheap now at bamboogaming, £16 including postage last time I looked. The CycloEvo has better download play, but how longs it going to be before one of the other card companies, looks at the firmware and upgrades their card so it has the same feature.

9. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
    Buy a R4 it might not be perfect, but it's close to that and it's really cheap.
    Worth every penny.

10. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    I have to say that's quite an ironic post looking at your username! [​IMG]

11. Monkey01

Member Monkey01 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Oh my god, are they still doing that? [​IMG] (releasing shit that doesn't work and let the customers wait for a fix for months)

Anyway, I think it depends on how important you think download play compatibility is. If it doesn't mather that much, I don't see much reason to wait...

12. H8TR

Member H8TR GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I'd wait for the Cyclo DS Evo review. It can't be much longer anyway. 1-3 weeks max. As for G6 DS Real, its only gonna get worse. I'm predicting a $95-110 USD price. Just enough that they can say "We beat the DS-Xtreme's price!".
    I got my M3 DS Simply a week before the first reviews we're going up. At that time, there was no confirmation that M3 DS Simply and R4 were the same, only speculation. I'm so happy it was true.

13. somekool

Newcomer somekool Member

Canada
    everybody always talks about the R4.... what about the EZ-Flash V...
    there is no goodies, but seems to be excellent product. what do you guys think?

14. cory1492

Member cory1492 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Love my EZ5, and recently dealxtreme added them at the lowest I have seen yet, $28.28USD inc. shipping... but I still have to say R4 is the cat's arse (so to speak) and the one I use when I just want to go ahead and play something.

Sure there is the deficiency of download play which cyclo may solve, but it is nothing that any of the other cards can't fix with some form of update if they decide it's time to fix the problem.

The only thing I wonder at this point, is at what juncture are R4/M3DSS going to stop being updated. Hopefully they are not in fact M3 team posing, and as such intend to keep their only current product alive for a loooong time (when you start seeing a device in a DS in magazine photo shoots, you gotta think they have sold a lot of them).

15. Xeijin

Member Xeijin GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Yep, there's never a good time to buy any kinda' technology. Tomorrow will always bring something bigger and better.

16. shooshoo

Newcomer shooshoo Member

Canada
    I was waiting for the G6 DS Real because I liked the idea of having the memory integrated so you wouldn't have to worry about buying a certain kind of micro sd card in order to avoid game slowdowns. I hear some people saying the G6 DS Real is already out, but I can't find it for sale yet.

Never heard about the Cyclo until today (I am a noob to DS flashing). You think they will be picky about the type of memory card? I would consider getting this card but if the price is going to be like $100 then there's no point. I would rather spend half that or less and get an R4.

17. aslacker55

Member aslacker55 I like pie

United States
    You can preorder a cycloevo at Divineo for $54.99 USD. Is it worth it, I don't know. But I do know one thing, I'm happy with the R4 that I have.

18. fli_guy84

Member fli_guy84 GBAtemp Fan

Malaysia
    All in all, the CycloDS with 1GB microSD will cost about the same as a 8Gb G6DS.

Tough choice [​IMG]

19. shooshoo

Newcomer shooshoo Member

Canada
    Ok one thing I keep noticing is that some of these flash cards are described as 8Gb, 16Gb etc. Can anyone explain what that means?

20. TLSpartan

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    A byte is 8 bits shooshoo

Gb-Gigabit
    GB- Gigabyte

8Gb is 1 GB
    16Gb is 2GB