R4 or M3? Help me decide. I'm talking about just REGULAR M3.

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by TerranigmaFreak, Jul 28, 2008.

1. TerranigmaFreak
    OP

TerranigmaFreak Newbie

Ok, I already own an M3. I got this almost 2 years ago. Right now, I'm considering R4, I don't know whether it's worth it if I already own an M3. I don't have a pass card for the M3 though. I originally bought it for GBA homebrew and DS wasjust starting up. Although it does play DS. I heard R4 only uses micro SD? Is there a version that supports regular SD cards? I really don't feel like buying more memory cards.

Also, is there software for writing on the DS? I just want to write (or type) into it, save it as a file, and then transfer it into my computer when I get home. A laptop costs too much just for writing on the go.

2. Sephi

Member Sephi fool

United States
    The R4 is a Slot-1 device, Slot-1's only use MicroSD. If you want a Slot-1 go ahead and get a CycloDS Evo, or Acekard 2 or EDGE. Slot-2 is pretty much dead.

You can use DSO for typing.

3. TerranigmaFreak
    OP

TerranigmaFreak Newbie

Wait what? What's CycloDS Evo, or Acekard 2? Are you saying it's best to just upgrade to R4 instead?

4. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    No, CycloDS Evo and Acekard 2 are flashcarts that are better than R4

5. Sephi

Member Sephi fool

United States
    R4 = downgrade

6. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom

the R4 will work as a passcard for the M3 and you will also be able to use patched opera browser with R4 and your M3 card .....

you can use GBA EXPLOADER 057 to load gba games from the SLOT 1 card to the SLOT 2 card for GBA roms [​IMG]

micro sd's are pretty cheap now anyhow for a 1gb and even for 2gb cards ....

look online for best deals [​IMG]

to those who slate the R4 yes it has its flaws a couple of games that dont work but do by patching and no SDHC not everyone wants SDHC and some of those already have a 2gb micro sd that they want to use instead of buying another one [​IMG]

@TerranigmaFreak at the end of the day its YOUR MONEY your spending spend it how you want on what you want ...

just remember if you choose R4 to get a genuine one not any kinda R4 ADVANCE or R4 SDHC as they are fakes!!!

theres a guide in my signature that will help you know what a real R4 looks like [​IMG]

7. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    DOn't get an R4, get something else.

8. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    Buying a R4 at this point will make you a retard. I'm serious. That will be the stupidest mistake you'll make in your life.

Get an Acekard 2 for $23 dollars, which is WAY better than the R4.

Or if you have quite a bit of money, get a CycloDS. It's the "king" of all flashkarts.

9. Sp33der

Member Sp33der GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    yup buy everything except a R4/M3DSS, maybe a Acekard or Cyclo or M3Real

10. TerranigmaFreak
    OP

TerranigmaFreak Newbie

Wow, I'm glad I asked. I was still under the impression that R4 is the king for DS flash carts.

Can someone tell me about the advantages to the devices you guys just mentioned? Most important of all; how's the battery life on these things?

11. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    CycloDS-
    - SDHC support (Supports micro sd memory card over 2 gigs)
    - Incredible support (The team has their own forums, and they answers your question directly, within a few hours or minutes)
    - Features (Realtime save: It lets you save anywhere, anytime. Realtime guide: It lets you use a guide anywhere in the game. slow-mo: Exactly as it sounds. Native 3-on-1 support, and a lot more.)
    - Based on a European team, that can speak flawless English.
    - If there's a game that doesn't work, it'll get fixed fast, on their beta updates, which come out frequently.
    - In game brightness settings
    - True 100% compatibility. R4 has games where you have to patch in order for them to work.
    - Saves firmwares on their own cart, instead of the Micro sd. Just put the firmware on the micro sd, and it gets saved in the CycloDS's own memory, that's made for firmwares.
    - Really easy to use. Customizable GUI
    - And A LOT MORE.

Acekard 2
    - Has the best GUI around. Looks fantastic, and easy to use.
    - Multiple save slots, so you can share any games.
    - Gets all the open sourced firmwares from it's big brother, the Acekard RPG.
    - Only 23 bucks.
    - SDHC support.
    - A support team that actually does something

The cons of each, are

CycloDS
    - No multiple save slots.
    - Pricy. Usually sold around 53 dollars.

Acekard 2
    - The build quality is still questionable.

The R4?

- Overpriced.
    - No SDHC support
    - No support, and gets support from firmwares that weren't ment to be on the R4 in the first place.
    - May brick your DS in September.
    - Have to patch few of the newer games, because they don't work without it.

I hear the Cyclo takes out a bit more battery life than other Flashkarts, but I don't think so. Not as much as using a Slot-2 at least.

12. TerranigmaFreak
    OP

TerranigmaFreak Newbie

I just read the review for both CycloDs and Acekard 2 and I'm very impressed. My money's on Acekard 2 right now, but the review forgot to test power consumption. Is it comparable to other flash carts? They usually take only about 30 minutes from the battery. If it's similar to the others, then I'll get Acekard 2.

13. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    It should be similar.

14. TerranigmaFreak
    OP

TerranigmaFreak Newbie

Thanks for all your help!