Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.nederlaget.no
XP
Country
Norway
Hi guys,

Yup, I'm that annoying newbie starting a new topic in his first post, and a not very interesting one at that.

That being said...

I'm contemplating buying a NDS slot-1 thingie, and the two alternatives i've landed on are DS-X and R4. I was just wondering what you guys think is the "better one"? I don't really care about the price (i'll buy like a 2gig micro-sd for the r4 anyways, so it'll be the same price), storage space (if i can store 8 or 80 roms doesn't really matter to me), or anything like that.

What I care about is game compatibility (which seems to be pretty much equal?) and layout/ease of use (which one has the better "os"?) and homebrew comp.

The downloadable play thingie doesn't really matter too much either, i'll just force my friends to buy one aswell.

Sooo, what do you think? And I don't need a flame-war between fanboys, I just need an honest opinion. Which one has the most potential, which one do you prefer (if you have both)?

Thanks,

-apignarb, the disillusioned alien

5uck3rpunch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get an R4. Not much of a difference but I have an R4 & it worx GREAT. So great that I sold my SuperCard DSOne! Get an R4 from www.realhotstuff.com .

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Get an R4. The DSX is good, but unless you need download play for (nearly) every game the R4 is better, especially since it costs less that half as much. The R4 has slightly better compatibility and performance in most cases. Castlevania PoR is crashy on the DSX, but much less so on the R4 if (and only if) you have a fast microSD card.

The DSX may have better homebrew support for old/dead apps.

DSX compatibility list
R4 compatibility list

Don't get a 2GB microSD if you want to play PoR. The 2GB cards are slow, and slow cards are very bad for that game. Most other games don't care about the SD card speed on the R4.

leetdude_007

Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
M3/R4. They got the primary features working. Everything is streamlined and it's working great! All I want now is the EZ-flash expansion... if only they sold it separately and it worked with M3!!! :'(

NOTE: because R4/M3 aren't as much on the pricey side of your budget, you can always buy another slot solution later... "upgrade" if you will. See what's happening in the future, like M3 Real, etc.

Mars

Radioactive Propaganda Minister
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I agree, R4 gives you almost everything the DSX had but for a much cheaper price and more memory.

rippon

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, R4. I've not had a single problem with mine, and two other guys I work with have since bought them, and we're all quite happy with our choice. That, and I really do think that the ability to have multiple SD cards is a huge selling point which the DS-X lacks.

rice151

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Although I don't own either, seems like the Verdict is the R4. Personally, I was going to get a DS-X ONLY because most Single Card Download Play works. Thing is, some of the Download Play works on the R4 as well, so I'm holding out to see if Bleach 2nd works on it, then it will have sealed the deal. R4...

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Go with what everyone is getting either the R4 or the M3 simple. The more people that have bought the product the more you know that the firmware will be updated.

RottenFox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ive just gotten home,and found my ticket from royal mail to pick up my packet tomorrow.
i bought a supercard,and m3 simply/R4--whatever was in stock!,dont know whats been put in it,and cant decide..the R4 being the same as the M3,but is it really better than the supercard 1 slotter,or should i just keep the M3/R4
kind of in the same boat as the OP,but i bought the 2 on promise of returning 1,dont know what to keep.?

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ive just gotten home,and found my ticket from royal mail to pick up my packet tomorrow.
i bought a supercard,and m3 simply/R4--whatever was in stock!,dont know whats been put in it,and cant decide..the R4 being the same as the M3,but is it really better than the supercard 1 slotter,or should i just keep the M3/R4
kind of in the same boat as the OP,but i bought the 2 on promise of returning 1,dont know what to keep.?

People have been trying to sell the supercard slot 1 solution, and also rumours are going about that the supercard team are going to release a better one. I've been a fan of the supercard from the very beginning so have a lot of other people but they've still bought the R4 as its better and cheaper.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am shock that nobody update m3 simply compatibility some more at http://wiki.scorpei.com/index.php/M3_DS_Si...patibility_list

Come on, update more until they are fully!
biggrin.gif

I cannot test it because I do not have either R4 or M3 DS Simply. LOL~!

RottenFox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
well,must admit,the supercardDS wouldnt recognise my transflash card,something that the R4 did straight away,so the supercard has been posted back.
thanks for the info guys!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."