R4 or CycloDS?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by ryohki, Aug 19, 2007.

Aug 19, 2007

R4 or CycloDS? by ryohki at 12:22 PM (3,931 Views / 0 Likes) 26 replies

1. ryohki
    OP

Member ryohki GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    okay... yes it's another "which one do I choose?" thread.
    basically, my situation is this:
    I have an r4. it's great, but then the spring screws up.
    stupid bloody spring.
    so no I decide, okay... I'll just get another one.
    r4's are all out of stock. poo.
    so I'm thinking this may be my oppertunity to get something better.

so, who here has a cyclo?
    and is it that much better than r4?

how's the card slot?
    how's homebrew compatability now?
    you can skin it, right?

does castlevania slow down on it? ( I have a jap kingston card, anyway)

basically, since I already have a microsd card, the little bit extra I'd pay for a cyclo may be worth it, to me.

edit: also, if any other aussies have one, where did you get it from? I looked at OZModChips.com... anyone used them before?

2. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    if its only the spring that bothers you, take it out the moment you get your R4

Problem solved!

also, you might want to have a look at the supercard ds one if you have a good microsd since i heard the spring is great and i really love the layout, especially since you can change it into 4 different layouts, to resemble the R4 or even a pda type layout
    the R4 GUI is a bit bland
    if you dont have a decent microsd and you still want games like tony hawks downhill jam and the castlevania games to run good, have a look at the EZV
    its got a hybrid mode which allows slow microsd's to play the more fast games

im not recommending the cyclods since i dont know anything but i do know that the support behinf it is brilliant and most cards have been leeching(for lack of a better word) off its brilliance

perfect download play? cyclo did it first
    wii connectivity? only the G6DS and tyhe cyclods
    people thought it was only because you have internal memory that you could connect to the wii but cyclo proved them wrong
    in a month or so were gonna see other cards do the same

3. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    The posted above basically summed it up.

Freezing in Castlevania is not an issue on either card, slowdown in Tony Hawk is.

Homebrew compatibility is roughly the same, and you can skin the CycloDS GUI.

4. cheapassdave

Member cheapassdave GBAtemp Regular

United States
    you can fix your spring. ive had 2 r4s with "broken" springs, but its a really easy fix. r4 forums had a good tutorial but you know its down. ill make a youtube once my other r4 spring breaks

5. superrob

Member superrob H4X H4X H4X!

Denmark
    Well the spring is easy to pull out i did it in 2 minnuts the best operationion ever lol.

6. iwakura

Member iwakura HHNNNNNNGGGG

United States
    I like the cycloDS evo much better for reasons I can't seem to express in words. I've been to their forums since it opened, I've been in contact with their team, I thoroughly know the cycloDS. Unfortunately, the R4 isnt that easy to talk with the developers about, but I do know pretty much every function there. Overall, I'd just say that the CycloDS evo is better. While the R4 team is very devoted to getting you the updates and etc you want, they are mostly trying to catch up with the cyclods.

its just my 2 cents.

7. TheNeck

Member TheNeck GBAtemp Fan

United States
    just my 2 cents.

Either one you get you wont regret. I actually have both the R4 & CycloDS, and the G6 Real 16GB. I just got the R4 & G6 Real today from RHS.

Its weird all 3 of them have there own feel, i personally like the G6 Real.

Right now the R4 has the most skins, but the CycloDS will catch on big time, as for the G6 Real, its a nitch market, so there will never be that many skins like the other 2.

As for the spring in the R4, for some reason when i push it in, if feel weird, as though i think it might break eventually but im sure thats just me being paranoid. As for the CycloDS not having a spring, once you do it over and over, it becomes really easy.

Just one other comment, the build quality between the 3 of these carts. I would say 1)G6, 2)R4, and the CycloDS way at the bottom. The G6 & R4 feel real solid. So if you think you about it, you might find the R4 for about $10 cheaper than the CycloDS, which is a plus for the R4, as the build quality you would think would be better for the CycloDS since its more expensive. The reason I mention the $ thing is im a cheap ass, so if $ was really tight I would easily get the R4 with a 1gig stick and it would be totally fine with this combination.

8. silverspoon

Member silverspoon GBAtemp Fan

9. IxthusTiger

Member IxthusTiger Cruddy's Buddy

United States
    keep the r4, take out the spring

10. JacobReaper

Member JacobReaper I Love You....

United States
    i have an R4 and love it, but the Cyclo has SDHC support.. but ya, there even to me [​IMG]

11. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    The R4 is still the top selling flashcart and the R4 team is still adding new features. How can you say "the R4's time is over"?

12. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    True enough.

I guess I'm still used to seeing a 20 dollar difference between the carts.

13. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    If the prices don't differ to much, I'd go for the CycloDS Evolution.

14. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    I can't stand this constant bickering about prices of flashcarts... Sure, you can mention it, but if it gets to argument levels it's just stupid. Both flashcarts cost LESS than an official game. WHAT IS THERE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT?

- Sam

15. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    While a 10 dollar difference doesn't really matter, I wasn't going to pay 25 dollars for features I'll barely ever use.

16. flai

Member flai Androgynous Apparently :)

United Kingdom
    They are both really good cards. I would say R4 because I have more experience with this card and it has all the features of the CycloDS. It is also easier to update the firmware but this is a small annoyance. Its really down to preference, they are both very, very good cards.

17. 4saken

Australia
    In the UK, maybe [​IMG]

Anyway, it doesn't really matter on what you get. The price is absolutely ripper considering you people are probably going to pirate over 1000 dollars worth of DS software

18. villa_bryan

Newcomer villa_bryan Advanced Member

United States
    i vote cyclo

i have one and it rocks

team cyclops has worked very hard with me and i totally love them for that.

I got one of those defective first ones. It was too late to send to modchipstore.com.

so team cyclops took it and they walked me through every little step of replacing it. plus i had to pay nothing.

and anytime i've had a game that won't work, i just do a bug report and on the next firmware it works. I remember a few days after i reported the yoshii touch and go problem it was fixed.

it may not have 100% compatibality but that's cause certain games have not been reported.

I say get a cyclo, test all ur games and if some don't work, GREAT! So then they can fix and no one else has to go through.

get a cyclods and you won't regret it.

19. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    R4 for popularity and side feature ie skins and Cylco for little extra support
    If u want a card either are good but if u are lookin for cheap then go for R4 still take either one... it's gonna last long don't worry

20. 4saken

Australia
    The CycloDS Evo skinning community is starting to grow now (in their forums mainly), but of course it is not the size of the R4 skinning community. Most of the R4 skins on NDSthemes and stuff suck anyway. It's like images which are stretched to fit 256x192 so they look all distorted