R4 or Acekard 2?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by m12, May 18, 2008.

May 18, 2008

R4 or Acekard 2? by m12 at 7:26 PM (24,995 Views / 0 Likes) 39 replies

1. m12
    OP

Newcomer m12 Member

United States
    Which one is better interms of compatibility and support for homebrew?

Why is it that i hear the R4 is not that great now?

2. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    AceKard 2 hands down [​IMG]

R4 is outdated nowadays, and there are TOO many clones out there to be sure of getting an original one. So I would say go with AceKard 2.

3. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    Because the R4 is dated, its basically ancient compared to flashcards on the market now. The only updates you will ever ee for it are compatibility fixes and theres better cards that cost the same and even cost less that have more features than the R4. The R4 was a decent card when it first came out, still is now, but theres better cards out there which makes R4 obsolete.

4. Kellicros

Member Kellicros GBAtemp Fan

AK2 is better because it is cheaper, has better interface, frequently updated firmwares, more functions(rom trimming, cut/copy/paste, etc), supports SDHC, , and is semi-opensource with a good team of third party coders making custom firmware for it, I believe more than one AKRPG unofficial coders had requested AK2 sourcecode from the team after Bliss' custom firmware release.

5. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    How can you go wrong with an Acekard 2, when it's only 24 bucks?

6. iwakura

Member iwakura HHNNNNNNGGGG

United States
    same logic doesn't apply for women. [​IMG]

Just kidding, the AK2 is a lot better. R4 is just outdated nowadays. AK2 has got all the advantages that the R4 has, plus some. They're also a lot better at helping you, the R4 company pretty much only spoke chinese and it was hard to communicate with them

7. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    lol
    not only does the R4 cost like 2 times as much as the AK2 but also its an ancient ds cart and bearly has no features besides the basics

8. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    the r4 loads and runs games/homebrew with very high compatibility what more do you want a flash kit to do?

-another world

9. Unchi-san

Member Unchi-san Unchi on a stick! yay~

United States
    R4 is 2X more the cost of an AK2. In addition, AK2 has even MORE features than the R4. What more do you want from a flashcart?

10. krazykirk

Member krazykirk GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    It's true, back in the day, the R4 was one of the best flash cards around, but now it has been wayyy supassed by other cards, like the Acekard 2 [​IMG]

11. BioHazardN00B

Newcomer BioHazardN00B Advanced Member

United States
    [​IMG] [​IMG] But i love my r4.... T_T. Also the r4 used to be 34.99, so like EAT THAT! xD
    All that matters is the R4DS Team is dedicated to providing updates. And so what if the R4 is obsolete now.
    It doesnt mean its not any good.... [​IMG]

12. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    They are dedicated in providing game compatibility updates and thats just about it, don't expect any cool new features. Also the reason why the price is so high right now is because the factories are producing less and less R4DS flashcards while the demand remains high due to the R4DS brand name. Right now, if priced by the features it had, it would go for like 10-15$. Its not a bad cart, I have one myself, but its dated and theres better flashcards with more features that cost far less.

13. Apex

Member Apex GBAtemp Fan

Japan
    R4 was supposed to be bare bones though, but with a flashcart there's nothing really wrong with that, as it leaves itself open to be customized with games and homebrew.

Honestly though, those extra features would be nice to have, therefore I'd go with an Acekard2 if features are important too you, I'd much rather have one, but if it came down to cost being an issue, I'd get an R4, if you can find them.

14. gizmo_gal

Member gizmo_gal QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!

United States
    I'd say go with the AK2. Its going to take you a bit further, I feel than the R4. Plus you can take more with you.

15. BioHazardN00B

United States
    Well said narin...Well said...
    [​IMG]

16. Unchi-san

Member Unchi-san Unchi on a stick! yay~

United States
    wait i am totally confused. An R4 is more expensive than an Acekard 2. So if cost is the issue, he should get the Acekard 2.

The R4 is outdated and more expensive than alot of cards nowadays, such as AK2, DSTT, Edge, SD-DS1, M3Real, etc.

17. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    No it wasn't.

The R4 was released before any of these extra features were standard (and before most even existed). So at the time the R4 had all the features of every other cart.

All the other teams worked on improving their product however, while the R4 Team did nothing. Thats why its considered "bare bones" now.

As far as customization is concerned, the R4's loader is one of the least customizable available.

18. BioHazardN00B

United States
    The skin isnt that bad Urza, I mean sure ive seen Acekard 2 skins and they are filled with tons of files. Also the R4s compatibility was one of the best and still is one of the best. On a side note, Your avatar scares me Urza

19. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    1. 3 files + no INI = least customizable.

2. The R4 has one of the worst release-day compatibility of all flashcarts. If a new game is released with copy protection, you can be almost positive it won't work on the R4.

Mr. Fanboy.

20. Tanas

Member Tanas GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    When did you last use your R4? six months ago?