Hacking R4 NtrBoot

sp3off

GBATemp's least active boy
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sorry if I am missing something obvious...

I saw on this site (https://github.com/kitling/flashcart_core) that the R4 SDHC Dual-core is currently in development for NtrBoot. However, the actual site is this (https://github.com/kitling/ntrboot_flasher) Is the card actually in development, and does it mean that it is one of the timebomb carts?

They are finding out some things about the R4 Dualcore, so it's still in development (some missing patterns, trying to make NTRBoot work...)
And... Timebomb carts ? Never heard of that.

Reactions: NicknameGoesHere

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hope that NTRBoot disable that TimeBomb thingy on R4 DualCore flashcarts, would be a nice secondary feature.
Well, it won't matter for ntrboot usage, but there's no real way around it for normal DS flashcart use besides patching the kernel, something that should be very doable but it'd still require a specialized kernel for each flashcart, and it might not be worth the effort for devs to maintain patched kernels for hundreds of different R4 clones when you can just get a decent flashcart like the R4i Gold 3DS for around $16.

Reactions: Ryccardo

Dave_Chad

Trophies
XP
Country
The time bomb is annoying but I just set the date back by a year or two and it works again.

I'd happily sacrifice my r4 dual core 2016 for any sort of testing.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
That wouldn't work, as it restores the previous state of the card iirc (For the Acekard 2i and R4i)

Right, just forgot that you can restore the firmware after using it as a 3DS tool.

Well, it won't matter for ntrboot usage, but there's no real way around it for normal DS flashcart use besides patching the kernel, something that should be very doable but it'd still require a specialized kernel for each flashcart, and it might not be worth the effort for devs to maintain patched kernels for hundreds of different R4 clones when you can just get a decent flashcart like the R4i Gold 3DS for around $16.

Yes, I'm in the process of buying one from the site being recommended here.

NitroCipher

GBAtemp's Resident Alchemist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder what would happen if you were restore the backup file from a legit card to a time bomb from the NTRbootHax launcher menu. Buy the R4i Gold 3ds.

NicknameGoesHere

RIP my sanity: 2018-2018
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The NTRbootHax launcher saves the files as backup.bin, it doesn't appear as though it has any markers on it. I don't own any time bomb so I can't test this.
Problem for me is I need a cart that is not a time bomb to test. I don't see how it could possibly brick the card, as you could just restore the original backup of the card stops working

NitroCipher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone want to send me a time bomb card for me to test this with? (No guarantee you will get the card back)

NicknameGoesHere

RIP my sanity: 2018-2018
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone want to send me a time bomb card for me to test this with? (No guarantee you will get the card back)
If no one does, the carts are cheap. Also, does the NTRBoot launcher dump the card before or after it checks the card?

EDIT: You could also check if you can flash a backup of one cart to another, even of they aren't time bomb carts

Last edited by NicknameGoesHere,

NitroCipher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If no one does, the carts are cheap. Also, does the NTRBoot launcher dump the card before or after it checks the card?

EDIT: You could also check if you can flash a backup of one cart to another, even of they aren't time bomb carts

I will test this once my other cards are shipped. I am modding and selling NTRbootHax carts, so I will test this.

Ntrboot checks the card after/while dumping.

Dave_Chad

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a dual core card i'm willing to sacrifice but i'd rather someone guided me through how to flash a backup to it i don't really want to send it out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, no sabría cómo decirte