R4 now has SDHC?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by thejellydude, Mar 29, 2008.

Mar 29, 2008

R4 now has SDHC? by thejellydude at 4:14 AM (4,294 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. thejellydude
    OP

Member thejellydude GBAtemp Regular

United States
  2. CheatingSoi

Member CheatingSoi Graphic Designer

United States
    I think its a fake but sence it works who cares.

3. thejellydude
    OP

United States
    We need to find out what card it is for future kernels... That's why we care.

4. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    It's just an R4 clone (a lot of them have been popping up lately). The SDHC support is a lie; the only difference between these clones and the real thing is that the kernel is decrypted and the build/component quality is worse.

5. thejellydude
    OP

United States
    ^ If the SDHC support is a lie, how is it running it? Also, for my friend's sake, will the R4 kernel be fine for the clone (Just take an educated guess please)?

6. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Wait, so there is no R4 v3 at all? I was under the impression that the SDHC-enabled R4 v3 was an "official" R4 product.

7. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    wow you really do believe everything you read on the net eh? i would trust a member of this forum who has over 2,000 posts (Destructobot) when they tell you it is a clone. if this forum has not reported on a v3 of the r4 in the review section then it simply does not exist. if you don't trust this forum e-mail the team over at r4ds.com (sales@r4ds.com, tech@r4ds.com ).

tell your friend "for his own sake" to spend the 54.99 on an official r4.

-another world

8. RealApprentice

Newcomer RealApprentice Member

Netherlands
    Did you see the firmware version on the screen from amazon? version 1.05 that must have been ages ago.

9. thejellydude
    OP

United States
    I'd like to know where in my post I said it wasn't a clone. [​IMG]
    All I'm asking is if the clone has SDHC, can it still use the official R4 Kernel?

10. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    you never said it was or wasn't a clone, you just asked if the r4 has sdhc support!

anyways...

a clone of the r4 would be an r4 which is manufactured cheaply but does the exact same thing. i think it is safer to assume that this is a clone of an m3 simply and just a screen shot of the r4. however, if your friend is sure he is running and sdhc msd and the boot up firmware is the r4 then it is more probably an m3 simply clone running hacked r4 firmware.

i have not found a clone of the r4 yet that has added sdhc support. i don't expect to come across one either because clones are cheaply made hacks of the original. people who reverse engineer a bit of technology aren't the type of people who are trying to add extra features to it.

now could you put the r4 firmware on the clone or on the m3? sure it is possible. i have read about experiments to mix the firmware from each card because they so closly match eachother.

your really better off picking up a card that offers sdhc and firmware updates and support, etc.

-another world

11. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    I just realized it's probably a DSTT. People have been selling those as updated R4s, and they do support SDHC cards.

12. MacGnG

Member MacGnG GBAtemp Regular

United States
    there is no official r4 V3.

the only person selling it, is that guy on amazon.

he is posting on every r4 forum trying to trick people.

13. LoneSyn

Newcomer LoneSyn Advanced Member

United States
    Well, that guy obviously did a good job. He got this guy's friend to get it.

14. redoxlp

Newcomer redoxlp Member

United States
    Yeah, I bought one recently and I have to confirm it a Fake.

The box says it is an "upgrade" of the R4 and that "www.r4dsl.com" is the new R4 site.

There was even a slip of paper saying something like "This is the new version of the R4 with better capbilities. Make sure to copy and paste all the software on the CD because this is the new software that is 100% different than the one on the old R4 site. People have gotten a freeze at the "loading" screen. Please make sure to mail it back to Digital Gaming International Trading Inc."

Digital Gaming International Trading Inc. is responsible for reselling this item and they are located in someplace New York.

They aren't necessarily bad although they are selling a fake R4.
    All my games/wi-fi/music/movies/homebrew still work on it.

I bought my EDGE DS from Digital Gaming International Trading Inc. as well and it works perfectly fine.

It's funny though how real the thing actually appears, the fake R4. I knew it was fake at first from the Amazon store but that didn't stop me from buying. On the front where there is a sticker you can notice a small square indenture in which the sticker is pushed into. On the back there is no sign/picture on the way the microSD card is supposed to go in. The build is strictly square and don't have the curve indentures on the sides as the real R4 does. The fake R4 even has some hologram sticker on the back to further convince people it is real.

Even though it is fake, it works perfectly.

I'll post some pics up later and make a mini-review of it.

15. arsehat

Member arsehat GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Only the later ones, with the springless slots, have those indents - and they also don't have the "plastic fingers" between the connectors. The "update II"/n5/e7 look very much like the earlier 1st generation R4s, with the addition of a punch-out in the label side to accomodate the extra chip.

16. ryuben

Newcomer ryuben Newbie

Hi can anyone help me? I bought the "fake" R4 II upgraded Revolution for ndsl/nds in the internet and there's no cd installer with it. I tried to download in the internet the diff kernel for R4 and it's not working on my DS.. When I opened my DS only the Loading screen appear. can anyone send me the files to be use for the R4 II upgraded please. Thank you