OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Hello all.

A couple of weeks ago, after doing a lot of research, I ordered an R4 along with a 1GB MicroSD card (Kingston - Japan).
I dug out my DS Phat from the dust that was its blanket (Bought it on the release and had hardly played it!)
It worked perfectly! The whole DS world was at my feet!
wub.gif

But good things don't last, eh?
A little over a week ago, I started having problems.
Sometimes my DS wouldn't recognize the R4 when booting, which I assume is normal as I've read so many people have this little issue.
I can perfectly live with it, although sometimes taking out the R4 and blowing on the contacts on the cart as well as inside the DS wouldn't help and I'd just be taking out the cart and putting it in again 4 times in a row before it would be recognized.
My other BIG issue is that games get stuck. In the middle of playing them, not when starting them.
This happens to several games, not just one.

The first thing that came to mind was that I had to format my MicroSD card and so I did.
Yet, right after formatting the card and reinstalling the V1.11 again, a game got stuck again while playing.
I contacted the shop where I bought my R4 and explained everything.
They said that they believed that my problem lied with the MicroSD card and that I should send it back to get it replaced.
I thought it was odd as I'd written that I could read the card perfectly on my computer, and could write and read from it without any issues.
But yes, I considered it as a possibility. Before sending off my card (and possibility to have my daily DS fix!), I bought myself another MicroSD card in another store around the corner yesterday. This is another 1GB Kingston Japan card.
Everything seemed to work perfectly up to now. Yet another game got stuck!

Tomorrow, I'll be mailing the shop where I bought my R4 again to write that I'm having the same problems with a new memory card.
The thing that I'm worried about is... Are these problems most probably caused by my R4?
Or could it be my DS Phat which is showing its age?
See, the shop charges quite a lot if you return a product that is working perfectly!
And this is not something along the lines of: "It's broken." but more along the lines of "It works but sometimes I have a problem".
See my issues?

I'm just wondering if other people are having or have had the same problems?
If so, what were they caused by?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me!

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It may simply be the game that you're trying to play. Make sure it is a clean ROM. Can you tell us what game/games are hanging?

Switchy

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
The ones I can come up with from the top of my head are:

- Animal Crossing (trimmed)
- Clubhouse Games (trimmed)
- Feel the Magic XY XX
- Tamagotchi Connexion Corner Shop 2
- Touch Detective (trimmed)
- Trace Memory (trimmed)

I've gotten nearly all my ROMs from the same site of which I think is quite reliable, although I can never be sure, really.
Are these games known for having bad dumps?

Switchy

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
I used R4DS ROM Trimmer 2.0 which I got from the R4 official site.

Another question, could one bad ROM corrupt the others on a card?

I'm sort of starting to think there's a bad contact between my DS and the R4, but don't know which of the two could be to blame.
Maybe I should spend a couple of hours playing with my original carts to see if the same thing occurs..

XeroRestraint

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'd recommend reformatting it as FAT32 if it's not already. I've heard of some people having problems that were miraculously solved by formatting FAT16 --> FAT32

Switchy

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Both cards were formatted in FAT32 and my problems have occurred with both trimmed and untrimmed ROMs but I'll be replacing my trimmed ROMs with untrimmed ones. I hated how sometimes intros were trimmed and such. And as I almost always play at home, it's not that hard to switch ROMs from my computer to my card and the other way around.
smile.gif

Switchy

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm not trimming games anymore
smile.gif
It's pretty useless for me.
But I will be replacing my trimmed roms with untrimmed ones.

Just... The games have been hanging with untrimmed roms as well.
Maybe I'm just having bad luck with my games after all then, eh?

maxpowersin

Trophies
XP
Country
India
An unusual problem there!!!

For me the only game which ever gave problems is Worms.

But that's just because of the "arm7" thingy!!

Maybe there is a fault in the r4?

Freaker

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
teamos.org
XP
Country
Had a similar problem. I actually had a spare MicroSD from my mobile phone which I tried as well. I still had the occassional hang. I'm pretty sure it wasn't game specific either - it'd hang in Phoenix Wright, Advance Wars, Chocobo Tales, just whenever it felt temperamental.

Since getting my DSLite it's only frozen a couple of times mid-game. I'm not sure if it can be completely attributed to the DSLite, but obviously there was an improvement somewhere.

Switchy

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Maybe I should use this as an excuse to get myself a very pretty & shiny Lite
laugh.gif

Well, I've been in touch with the store where I got my R4 from and they've asked me to send them my R4 and memory card to see what is going wrong since it's not a problem they've encountered up to now. I am not a happy puppy
frown.gif

thomasroberts6

Trophies
XP
Country
THats very weird.... Mkaes me wonder if this might happen to me after a while
frown.gif

This is a stupid question, but what is a 'DS Phat'?

Does it mean the original NDS?

Switchy

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Well, I've decided to sell my Phat and get a Lite instead.
If the problem still occurs, that'll mean it's the R4 and I'll have it exchanged.

Now only to find a way to get that Crimson/Onyx to Belgium without paying twice the value
frown.gif

gravolik

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately, this happens to two of my three R4s.
The games will just freeze right in the middle of playing. I use untrimmed roms and it happens on any/all of them.
It is really annoying when playing Animal Crossing because then you have to put up with that Resetti bastage.
dry.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I didn't know they made an MSU cart for the Genesis.... I knew about the SNES one and the... +1