R4/M3 Experiment?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by zone97, Feb 20, 2007.

Feb 20, 2007

R4/M3 Experiment? by zone97 at 8:48 PM (777 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. zone97
    OP

Member zone97 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Anyway.... I had this idea, kicking around in my head, tell me what you think...

If you were to pin out the micro sd card back to the pins on a standard sd card, could you then build a tiny board with an sd slot on it and wire it directly to the pins on an M3/R4 board using some tiny ribbon cable and have it work? Why you ask, well you can get a 4 gig sd card fairly cheap, and use it with the r4 instead of the highly expesive 2/4 gig micros?

you could get one of those clear protecive shells for the DSL and superglue your board and sd slot to it.

just a though?

2. xalphax

Member xalphax Internet killed the Ponystar.

Croatia
    this may work, idk if the big SD consumes more power and therefore will not be recognized by the R4/M3

3. Modrak

Member Modrak GBAtemp Regular

Czech Republic
    Okay, here's the tech stuff. Standard SD cards can be up to 2GB, due to addressing and stuff...does R4 support SDHC ? There are already SDHC microSD cards out, so a very rich person could test that for us [​IMG]

Read this

4. XeroRestraint

Member XeroRestraint GBAtemp Regular

United States
    In theory that would work, but in reality the amount of time required to perform such a modification (in economic terms) would cost more than a high capacity microSD card. Still, some things are worth doing just to see if they can be done!

5. Modrak

Member Modrak GBAtemp Regular

Czech Republic
    Donate me money for a spare R4 and 4GB SDHC card and I'll happily do it (soldering skills tested at 2 UPs for PSP [​IMG] )

I tell you it will work for 2GB cards and no more. Which you can get as microSD for $30 (as froogle says)