R4/M3 Experiment?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by zone97, Feb 20, 2007.

1. zone97
    OP

zone97 GBAtemp Fan

Feb 16, 2005
    United States
    Eastern Time zone
    Anyway.... I had this idea, kicking around in my head, tell me what you think...

If you were to pin out the micro sd card back to the pins on a standard sd card, could you then build a tiny board with an sd slot on it and wire it directly to the pins on an M3/R4 board using some tiny ribbon cable and have it work? Why you ask, well you can get a 4 gig sd card fairly cheap, and use it with the r4 instead of the highly expesive 2/4 gig micros?

you could get one of those clear protecive shells for the DSL and superglue your board and sd slot to it.

just a though?

2. xalphax

xalphax Internet killed the Ponystar.

Nov 18, 2006
    Croatia
    here'n'there
    this may work, idk if the big SD consumes more power and therefore will not be recognized by the R4/M3

3. Modrak

Modrak GBAtemp Regular

Dec 14, 2006
    Okay, here's the tech stuff. Standard SD cards can be up to 2GB, due to addressing and stuff...does R4 support SDHC ? There are already SDHC microSD cards out, so a very rich person could test that for us [​IMG]

Read this

4. XeroRestraint

XeroRestraint GBAtemp Regular

Jan 29, 2007
    United States
    In theory that would work, but in reality the amount of time required to perform such a modification (in economic terms) would cost more than a high capacity microSD card. Still, some things are worth doing just to see if they can be done!

5. Modrak

Modrak GBAtemp Regular

Dec 14, 2006
    Donate me money for a spare R4 and 4GB SDHC card and I'll happily do it (soldering skills tested at 2 UPs for PSP [​IMG] )

I tell you it will work for 2GB cards and no more. Which you can get as microSD for $30 (as froogle says)