R4 is playing up

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by mr_blonde_88, Jun 17, 2007.

Jun 17, 2007

R4 is playing up by mr_blonde_88 at 11:08 AM (1,282 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. mr_blonde_88
    OP

Member mr_blonde_88 Torture You? That's A Good Idea. I Like That

United Kingdom
    So recently, my R4 hasnt been working properly

Firstly, it'll be in my NDS securly, as will the MicroSD card in its slot, i'll turn the DS on, and ill get the 'touch screen to continue' message, which shouldn't happen with the R4
    A newly discoverd problem i got last night; i was in a game, and went back a menu, then i got a message 'Game Cart has been removed'
    :S

Anyone else got any other problems like this?

2. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    This is usually caused by dust/dirty contacts. Try blowing into the DS cart slot. Inserting and removing the R4 a few times may also help.

3. mr_blonde_88
    OP

United Kingdom
    I do that and it works
    But then then next time i come to play my DS is does't it again

4. squeaks

Member squeaks GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    the touch screen to continue message really does show up, no more than a second though.

5. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    If that screen shows up, it means the R4 is not detected and can't be used.

Blondie: Either the contacts on your R4 or the contacts on the DS are dirty/messed up. The R4 is easy enough to clean, but the DS cart slot... that will require special hardware. The old 8-bit and 16-bit consoles had cleaning kits, I don't know there are any for the DS.

6. Orc

Member Orc ‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

Hong Kong
    Yup this has been happening to my first R4 as well, I'd have to reinsert the microSD until it boots up properly. I think it has something to do with the microSD slot. [​IMG] My 3rd R4 (which is gray [​IMG]) seems to have a tighter microSD slot and so far doesn't show any problems like the first.

7. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    i'm having this problem aswell, it doesn't matter for now as if it dies i will just buy another R4DS or another diffrent flash cart when it eventually dies.

8. CatScam

Member CatScam ScamaRama!

United States
    When this happened I just removed the R4 squeezed the center of the card & it’s never happened
    again. I figured it was the SD slot because I never remove my R4 & the culprit must be the SD
    card not making proper connection. It’s been over 2 months now & the problem has not returned.

9. gamermole

Banned gamermole Banned

United Kingdom
    my r4 works fine and every single time ive booted up my ds i get the touch screen to continue message [​IMG]

10. mr_blonde_88
    OP

United Kingdom
    Do you reckon the R4 team will release new R4's that will work with these new MicroSD cards, cant remember their name, HDMicroSD or something?
    Cus if they are, i might wait and get a new R4, so i can have uber ROM space [​IMG]

11. chalupa

Member chalupa GBAtemp Fan

United States
    well as far as cleaning kits go buy cleaning kit
    I might buy one of these myself, maybe it can fix my old dead R4's.

12. TroyBagnell

TroyBagnell Newbie

I just started having this problem recently. I ejected the R4 to switch SD cards but I accidently left the DS on while doing so. Now when I boot up the DS it doesn't recognize the card. I tried using different SD cards, the thing is almost brand new so I don't think it needs to be cleaned. It plays all other DS games perfectly. But it just won't boot the R4.

Any ideas? Besides me being really stupid for not turning it off before switching cards...

13. TroyBagnell

TroyBagnell Newbie

Alright, so I got it to book up now only to get the message: "Couldn't find _DS_MENU.DAT" but it's clearly on the SD card when I check... does this mean the R4 itself has bad connectors? As in, it can't properly read data from the SD card?

Gah, I've only had the thing 1 month.

14. ZeWarriorReturnz

Banned ZeWarriorReturnz Banned

United States
    Maybe the card is corrupt. backup all the files and format the card. Copy the files back and try again. Make sure _DS_MENU.DAT is in the root of the card.