R4-III "Upgrade Revolution" Questions

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by HastyLumbago, Sep 3, 2010.

Sep 3, 2010
  1. HastyLumbago
    OP

Newcomer HastyLumbago Newbie

United States
    OK, So a while back, someone gifts me an old fat-style DS, because they're buying a DSi. They also gift me their flashcart: an R4-III Upgrade Revolution. Much fun is had by me. Pretty much everything works like a charm until a few days ago, when I try to play Chrono Trigger on it, and run into the copy protection. I do some Googling, and find out that there's a pretty easy workaround, involving the cheat menus. The text accompanying the cheat file I grabbed recommended I grab a copy of Wood to make my flashcart more better.

Some of you doubtless see where this is going. Wood doesn't work on my card. At all. Now, I've wandered around a bit on this forum, and I've seen the anger directed at folks with this card, or any card released since the death of the R4 team with the R4 name or architecture. I've even seen some users who seem to exist for no other reason than to perpetuate the flames. I'd like to stress at this time that:

A) I did not buy this card. It was a gift.

B) I cannot afford a new card. Or really anything else. I am a poor-ass poor person. And I'm poor, to boot.

C) As a result of these two things, flaming me won't do you or me a lick of good.

What I'd like to know is this: Is there a better option for my cart than the 2008 R4 1.18 software? If so, where can I find it? Is there maybe a way to make Wood work that I haven't happened upon yet? Please, I've been working on this for better than five hours, with no results. If that's because of a failing on my part, I'd rather just know for sure, rather than hunt around for six more hours. If it's because my card isn't supported by anything, well, then I'd like to know that, too.

Thanks in advance.

2. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
  3. HastyLumbago
    OP

Newcomer HastyLumbago Newbie

United States
    Thanks for pointing me to that. I'll be giving it a try shortly.

Seeing as how the R4 III Update Revolution has differing architecture (I looked inside, it looks very little like the pics I've seen of the interior of the R4), and even differing capabilities, why refer to it as a clone? I know you've got a low opinion of anything using the name or GUI of the R4, as I've read several other threads in which you've voiced said opinion, but surely this is a revision of the original, albeit by a different devteam, and the worst that can be said of it is that it attempts to leech off the success of a previous (and arguably inferior) product.

The R4 team is gone, and from what I can tell, will be sorely missed, but if the internet has taught me anything, it's that hardware with merit will find support among the user base of that hardware. I mean, look at the Dreamcast. There are *still* folks writing software for it. Sure, there are newer and better cards out there, and yeah, from what I've read, some of the successors to the R4 have been steaming piles, but that doesn't mean that one of these so-called "clones" can't be a good product. Or am I misreading the situation?

Heh, I think I may be hijacking my own thread. Sorry about that.

4. fearofshorts

Member fearofshorts GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    No, the real problem is that there are simply too many clones and their teams all modified the hardware slightly to make sure that their firmware will be incompatible with all of the other clones. Not to mention the fact that not all R4s have hardware which is actually based off of the original R4 at all- they are often renamed clones of every major modern flashcart out there.

So unofficially supporting all of the different clones is a huge undertaking for anyone- and even then, the people who actually do go ahead with this are not motivated and usually give up without giving anyone the source code.

If you want a bit of a GUI change, try using DSision 2. Or - if your cart is an AceKard clone - try an older version of AKAIO (one of the non-protected ones) and patch any games which won't run.