Hacking R4 "hardware is incompatible"...

Metrotitan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay,

So I bought a new Japanese Dslite and a R4 Revolution DS. Came home...no cd in the package. No problem...went to the website put the latest English kernal on the Micro Sd card and some games...no prob, soon I was playing New SMB...however I turned off the DS to change to a different gave after saving.

Big Mistake.

Since then all I get is a "hardware is incompatible" message. I have changed the firmware many times. I tried a new Mirco Sd card. Nothing is happening. It is one of those new R4s with no spring so I am not supposed to hear a "click" when I put the SD card in, right?

Any help would be great...I emailed the manufacturers directly, but I dunno what that'll do... :'(

Do I have to exchange it or what?

If this topic has been covered a million times, I apologize. I sifted through dozens and dozens of pages and the search option is off soooo.....

HELP Please!!!

MrBubbles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you try the firmware test on the DS? Go to pictochat and take out a GBA or DS game from the DS to crash it. Tell us what color you get.

azotyp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Poland
maybe nintendo started war against flashcarts, and you maybe have on of first consoles with firmware that is flashcartsproof (or maybe not
smile.gif
)

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Can you clean the contacts on the R4 with some alcohol or something?

I've got that message before, and I just cleaned the contacts and it went away.

oushi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never had to do it, but other people with contact problems have tried slipping a piece of paper between the R4 and DS to bring them closer together. Sounds like you got the R4 from a local store, so if it isn't too big of a hassle, I would just go exchange it...

Metrotitan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've never had to do it, but other people with contact problems have tried slipping a piece of paper between the R4 and DS to bring them closer together. Sounds like you got the R4 from a local store, so if it isn't too big of a hassle, I would just go exchange it...

Yeah, gonna go do that tomorrow! I hope they don't try to rip me off!
hate2.gif

Metrotitan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
UPDATE:

ARRRGH!!!

I exchanged my card after showing the store staff that my card was indeed the problem. The new one was working fine with my SD card card with the new kernel and my roms....but when I played New SMB and saved...I used the soft reset on the DSlite then got the...SAME ERROR MESSAGE!!!!

Now it won't load like before! Saving the game is what's doing the damage I think...and it seems to be irreversible...is this new anti-piracy measures by Nintendo? A problem with the ROM? IS my card permanantly %&$#ed?
cry.gif
I can't get another exchange now!

Comments or thoughts?

Metrotitan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Do you know anyone else with a DS that you can test your R4 in?

We tried the "problem" R4 in the DSlite at the shop. It was the same as mine...

I believe the problem is some kinda "zap" that saving the rom does to the R4...makes it unusable.

I don't know what to do! I got so stoked to play New SMB today I went out and bought a real copy!

Javacat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That's really weird.. Maybe the shops just got a bad batch of R4's, or are stocking some cheap crappy clones (although I've never heard of cloned R4's...)?

Is there any sign of a save file on the SD card that you were playing the game on?

Metrotitan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes...I tried reformatting many times and tried many different kernels, including the Chinese one just to be sure. Once it's displayed this "hardware incompatible" error there seems to be no going back...
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER