Gamesphere

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My mom bought an R4 from gameyeaahh. We recived it in perfect condition, it was working 2 fine 2 days ago also. Now something wierd has happened. In the menu, the selecting box is stuck in the center highlighting the Moonshell icon. You can't move it with the D-pad like usual, It just glitches back to the center. You can't touch the game icon either. In order to go into games, you have to tap the game icon with the stylus and press the A button simultaniously. The R4 is running on 1.16 FW, I downgraded it to 1.15 FW and still had the same problem.

Any Ideas? Thanks

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
woody0 said:
make sure there are no viruses on any games youv downloaded, turns out i had the same problem and it was a virus from a game.
There are no viruses that target the DS.

Skye07

Trophies
Website
www.skyon.be
XP
Country
Belgium
I've never had this problem although I did have a moonshell that got corrupted somehow, a backup, quick format & restore fixed the issue
biggrin.gif

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, when you update (or revert) your firmware, ALWAYS delete the _DS_MENU.SYS file or things can get weird, such as the problem you are having. It will Be re-created automatically by the R4 for the firmware you have installed. Make sure to have AT LEAST 4megs free for the file to be created upon first boot.

DarkAura

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
woody0 said:
make sure there are no viruses on any games youv downloaded, turns out i had the same problem and it was a virus from a game.

No such thing as a virus in a game. And it's the firmware that messes things up, no the games. Games run from the FW, so it's just not possible.

Jdbye

Always Remember 30/07/08
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Rayder said:
Also, when you update (or revert) your firmware, ALWAYS delete the _DS_MENU.SYS file or things can get weird, such as the problem you are having. It will Be re-created automatically by the R4 for the firmware you have installed. Make sure to have AT LEAST 4megs free for the file to be created upon first boot.
The R4 won't boot if there's not somewhere over 10MB of free space when it tries to create _DS_MENU.SYS - it'll just say "not enough storage space to create system files" or something like that.
I had 10MB free and it wouldn't boot, so I had to delete a ROM and put it back on afterwards.

It sounds like _DS_MENU.SYS is a likely culprit for this "glitch", so try that before you try anything else.

tmop69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have experienced the same problem today.

I have 3 SD card and I wanted to clean up the mess in them, so I copied all the files to PC hard disk, reorganized them and then reformatted the cards to copy back the files. While doing the copy into the SD I have not copied the _DS_MENU.SYS, to leave the R4 to recreate it. But I got this problem and in all the 3 cards! My kernel is 1.17. But I remember to have seen it also on a previous version. Last time it was due to the fact that I upgraded the kernel on the SD, but I have not removed the old _DS_MENU.SYS file.

To fix the problem I removed all the files related to the kernel and reinstalled it using files from the original archive.

There was more than 60M of free space on the SD cards, so I do not think it was related to free disk space.

I wondering if the problem could be in the microSd adapter included with the R4, since I used it to copy files from SD to PC /PC to SD. The SD cards are from different brands (Sandisk and Kingston) and never experienced problems with corruption in ROMs, savefiles. I have copied the kernel files from SD to PC and then back to SD (after the reorganization) and these were working correctly before. The _DS_MENU.SYS was recreated, so this should be something related to curruption of the other kernel files. But, I turned off/on the DS 5/6 times after I have experienced the problem the first time and in 1/2 cases it was working correctly! A bug in the kernel?

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
tmop69 said:
I have experienced the same problem today.

I have 3 SD card and I wanted to clean up the mess in them, so I copied all the files to PC hard disk, reorganized them and then reformatted the cards to copy back the files. While doing the copy into the SD I have not copied the _DS_MENU.SYS, to leave the R4 to recreate it. But I got this problem and in all the 3 cards! My kernel is 1.17. But I remember to have seen it also on a previous version. Last time it was due to the fact that I upgraded the kernel on the SD, but I have not removed the old _DS_MENU.SYS file.

To fix the problem I removed all the files related to the kernel and reinstalled it using files from the original archive.

There was more than 60M of free space on the SD cards, so I do not think it was related to free disk space.

I wondering if the problem could be in the microSd adapter included with the R4, since I used it to copy files from SD to PC /PC to SD. The SD cards are from different brands (Sandisk and Kingston) and never experienced problems with corruption in ROMs, savefiles. I have copied the kernel files from SD to PC and then back to SD (after the reorganization) and these were working correctly before. The _DS_MENU.SYS was recreated, so this should be something related to curruption of the other kernel files. But, I turned off/on the DS 5/6 times after I have experienced the problem the first time and in 1/2 cases it was working correctly! A bug in the kernel?

the included reader has crashed xp on me a few times to a black screen of death. in 400 and some odd days since my last format i have never had xp crash except for issues when the reader was in use. i recently picked up a 15$ 2gb japanese kingston that came with an official kingston reader (http://www.meritline.com/kingston-usb-microsd-reader-with-2gb-microsd-card.html).

now with that said i have read about other issues that stem from the included free reader. so it very well could be the cause of this problem, but i have no proof to back that up.

i have had no personal problems with any roms (although my sources are clean), homebrew, updating firmware, etc. and i always overwrite my firmware without removing or formatting anything.

-aw

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Is it safe to let R4 create that .SYS file by itself? While updating, I only overwrite DS_MENU.DAT, I never touched anything else, and thankfully, my R4DS works fine, and the kernel number is changed too

Back to topic: try reinstall it . Clean Install I mean, copy everything included in the pack you download, make sure the microSD is clean, no file except system file in it. Format the microSD for better result, this step has saved many peope in trouble with varying problems.

@tmop69
I never experinced such a thing like your problem, no R4DS has no such a bug, but to be safe, try r4bugfix from YASU. I fixed my kernel quickly after I got it, so maybe the fixed bug is the bug you encountered.

Sick Wario

Club Nintendo
Trophies
XP
Country
strange thing today... my brother tells me his DS with R4 boots and says "no menu.dat found"
so i plug in the card to PC and it's totally empty. it worked flawlessly for months until today. totally wiped

he charges it constantly could that have wiped it?

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
1st, what do you mean by charge? Do you mean he played NDS while charging the battery? I think no, since I have played NDS while charging, never my R4 deletes its data. BUT i EVER heppened to me once, my sister was playing Cooking Mama 2, sleep moded it, and when she opened the DS, it was white-screen. In my PC it has alien-languange text with size varying from 400MB to 8GB (Yes, GigaByte) imagine it! SO I have to format it all the way.

Btw, maybe you just have to format your microSD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1