R4 glitch?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Gamesphere, Mar 15, 2008.

Mar 15, 2008

R4 glitch? by Gamesphere at 2:44 PM (4,312 Views / 0 Likes) 24 replies

1. Gamesphere
    OP

Member Gamesphere GBAtemp Regular

United States
    My mom bought an R4 from gameyeaahh. We recived it in perfect condition, it was working 2 fine 2 days ago also. Now something wierd has happened. In the menu, the selecting box is stuck in the center highlighting the Moonshell icon. You can't move it with the D-pad like usual, It just glitches back to the center. You can't touch the game icon either. In order to go into games, you have to tap the game icon with the stylus and press the A button simultaniously. The R4 is running on 1.16 FW, I downgraded it to 1.15 FW and still had the same problem.

Any Ideas? Thanks

2. woody0

Member woody0 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    make sure there are no viruses on any games youv downloaded, turns out i had the same problem and it was a virus from a game.

3. Twiffles

Member Twiffles танковые победы

Germany
    Have you deleted EVERYTHING off your MS and tried a fresh FW download from the R4 website?

4. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    There are no viruses that target the DS.

5. greyhound

Member greyhound GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    this would be your best bet, back everything up, format the card and install the latest firmware from the download section here.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=1845

6. Skye07

Member Skye07 GBAtemp Fan

Belgium
    I've never had this problem although I did have a moonshell that got corrupted somehow, a backup, quick format & restore fixed the issue [​IMG]

7. Shabadage

Member Shabadage GBAtemp Fan

United States
    cough, DS Trojan, cough.

and before you ask, no it's not the trojan; your DS wouldn't even boot up if it was.

8. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Thats not a virus.

9. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Also, when you update (or revert) your firmware, ALWAYS delete the _DS_MENU.SYS file or things can get weird, such as the problem you are having. It will Be re-created automatically by the R4 for the firmware you have installed. Make sure to have AT LEAST 4megs free for the file to be created upon first boot.

10. DarkAura

Member DarkAura Offline

Canada
    No such thing as a virus in a game. And it's the firmware that messes things up, no the games. Games run from the FW, so it's just not possible.

11. Jdbye

Suspended Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    The R4 won't boot if there's not somewhere over 10MB of free space when it tries to create _DS_MENU.SYS - it'll just say "not enough storage space to create system files" or something like that.
    I had 10MB free and it wouldn't boot, so I had to delete a ROM and put it back on afterwards.

It sounds like _DS_MENU.SYS is a likely culprit for this "glitch", so try that before you try anything else.

12. tmop69

Newcomer tmop69 Newbie

United States
    I have experienced the same problem today.

I have 3 SD card and I wanted to clean up the mess in them, so I copied all the files to PC hard disk, reorganized them and then reformatted the cards to copy back the files. While doing the copy into the SD I have not copied the _DS_MENU.SYS, to leave the R4 to recreate it. But I got this problem and in all the 3 cards! My kernel is 1.17. But I remember to have seen it also on a previous version. Last time it was due to the fact that I upgraded the kernel on the SD, but I have not removed the old _DS_MENU.SYS file.

To fix the problem I removed all the files related to the kernel and reinstalled it using files from the original archive.

There was more than 60M of free space on the SD cards, so I do not think it was related to free disk space.

I wondering if the problem could be in the microSd adapter included with the R4, since I used it to copy files from SD to PC /PC to SD. The SD cards are from different brands (Sandisk and Kingston) and never experienced problems with corruption in ROMs, savefiles. I have copied the kernel files from SD to PC and then back to SD (after the reorganization) and these were working correctly before. The _DS_MENU.SYS was recreated, so this should be something related to curruption of the other kernel files. But, I turned off/on the DS 5/6 times after I have experienced the problem the first time and in 1/2 cases it was working correctly! A bug in the kernel?

13. 0xyG3N

Banned 0xyG3N Banned

Netherlands
    An virus in a game ? rofl [​IMG]

14. InuYasha

Member InuYasha Professional Coke Fiend

United States
    Are you using a cheap memory card???

15. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    the included reader has crashed xp on me a few times to a black screen of death. in 400 and some odd days since my last format i have never had xp crash except for issues when the reader was in use. i recently picked up a 15$ 2gb japanese kingston that came with an official kingston reader (http://www.meritline.com/kingston-usb-microsd-reader-with-2gb-microsd-card.html).

now with that said i have read about other issues that stem from the included free reader. so it very well could be the cause of this problem, but i have no proof to back that up.

i have had no personal problems with any roms (although my sources are clean), homebrew, updating firmware, etc. and i always overwrite my firmware without removing or formatting anything.

-aw

16. Raestloz

Member Raestloz GBATemp's Lone Wolf

Indonesia
    Is it safe to let R4 create that .SYS file by itself? While updating, I only overwrite DS_MENU.DAT, I never touched anything else, and thankfully, my R4DS works fine, and the kernel number is changed too

Back to topic: try reinstall it . Clean Install I mean, copy everything included in the pack you download, make sure the microSD is clean, no file except system file in it. Format the microSD for better result, this step has saved many peope in trouble with varying problems.

@tmop69
    I never experinced such a thing like your problem, no R4DS has no such a bug, but to be safe, try r4bugfix from YASU. I fixed my kernel quickly after I got it, so maybe the fixed bug is the bug you encountered.

17. SavageWaffle

Member SavageWaffle GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    First, why would you downgrade the FW*?

18. Raestloz

Indonesia
    Maybe he thought it was the v1.17's fault that the problem emerged, and he thought v1.15 has no such a problem.
    Turns out it does nothing, so, how's the news?

19. Sick Wario

Member Sick Wario Club Nintendo

United Arab Emirates
    strange thing today... my brother tells me his DS with R4 boots and says "no menu.dat found"
    so i plug in the card to PC and it's totally empty. it worked flawlessly for months until today. totally wiped

he charges it constantly could that have wiped it?

20. Raestloz

Indonesia
    1st, what do you mean by charge? Do you mean he played NDS while charging the battery? I think no, since I have played NDS while charging, never my R4 deletes its data. BUT i EVER heppened to me once, my sister was playing Cooking Mama 2, sleep moded it, and when she opened the DS, it was white-screen. In my PC it has alien-languange text with size varying from 400MB to 8GB (Yes, GigaByte) imagine it! SO I have to format it all the way.

Btw, maybe you just have to format your microSD