R4 Firmware v1.18 Bug

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by mixinluv2u, May 1, 2008.

May 1, 2008

R4 Firmware v1.18 Bug by mixinluv2u at 2:23 PM (1,419 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. mixinluv2u
    OP

Member mixinluv2u GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    so i recently upgraded to v1.18 firmware for the R4.

if i have soft-reset ON, and i try to launch moonshell with the middle icon, i get white screens and/or freeze and fails. (same if i try to launch other apps like back2fw with the middle icon).

if i have soft-reset OFF, it works.

even if i have soft-reset ON, everything still launchs okay if i browse for it through the first icon. but it's annoying that i can't use the middle icon with soft-reset on.

anyone else having this problem? i don't think this was an issue with earlier firmwares but i also don't remember which version is the one that last worked (since i don't use the middle icon much).

2. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    This could be a symptom of a corrupted memory card. A couple of times I had the middle icon stop working, but I could still run _DS_MSHL.NDS from the games menu without a problem. It turned out to be a corrupted _DS_MENU.DAT file causing the problem both times.

I always have GBA ExpLoader set as the middle icon, and it starts up properly in M3 Simply v1.14 (same as R4 v1.18) with soft reset in either state.

3. mixinluv2u
    OP

United States
    any suggestion on fixes? or am i out of luck with this memory card?

4. Doggy124

Member Doggy124 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Thailand
    no problem for me, try replace _DS_MENU.DAT with a new one and also delete _DS_MENU.SYS

5. mixinluv2u
    OP

United States
    ok i figured this out.

when i format my card, and then copy everything over at once.... that's when the freeze of the middle icon usually happens.

then if i delete _DS_MENU.DAT and and _DS_MENU.SYS then copy a new .DAT over to the memory card again, it fixes it.

not sure why this happens but it works now.