R4 EOL??

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by g4med4d, Jul 28, 2008.

Jul 28, 2008

R4 EOL?? by g4med4d at 7:42 PM (3,194 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. g4med4d
    OP

Member g4med4d GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I've seen a post mentioned the the R4 has stopped production.
    There's no mentioned of this at R4 Team's site though. Anyone know for sure?

If so, what's gonna happen to firmware releases? I hope if the R4 Team really stop making the R4s, they should release the source code.

2. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    Do ya think they will? They can't make any profit, even if they did make a firmware, because they're not being producing anymore. Maybe they'll release the firmware that'll break all the DSs, but breaks any DSs that even use the firmware, hahaha.

But seriously, no.

And if they could've released the source code, why didn't they do it earlier? It's been almost 4 months since the last firmware, etc. Nothing.

3. neoice

Newcomer neoice Advanced Member

Canada
    Well, Personally I think they are just moving the factory and are going to produce again sometime next year. But that's just a guess.

They didn't say they will stop making it FOREVER. They just said No more R4s. *shrugs*

There's a new firmware coming out in Sept anyways.

4. DarkDragonLord

Newcomer DarkDragonLord Advanced Member

Brazil
    Well. Could be a loss since if we require Support from them we will get none.
    About firmware, i don't care.
    YSMENU do same thing as R4's firmware do.

And when something is missing, always have someone to make another to tap the hole the official r4 firmware will leave

5. BurlyEd

Member BurlyEd GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I believe the R4 TEAM is dead, however there are at least two R4's that take MicroSDHC's and are NOT from Team R4.
    These are usually dismissed as fakes or counterfeits, but they clearly claim additions and improvements over the old versions.
    They also have distinctive Boxes and deny affiliation with the R4 team.
    The R4 Team (and all flash card producers) operate in a legal gray area where copyrights and patents do not count.

Examples:
    R4-Advance NDS MicroSD Card Adapter English Version (Support 4GB TF Cards)
    http://www.volumerate.com/details.vr/sku.60261#
    R4 Advance Web site with working "R4-A v1.19 2008-04-24" download link:
    http://www.r4ds-a.com/index-en.php

R4-III Upgrade (Clone, Supports SDHC) [r4-3]
    http://www.realhotstuff.com/r4iii-upgrade-...sdhc-p-289.html
    http://www.r4sdhc.com/index-en.htm

Since the R4 team will not or cannot produce MicroSDHC versions, it looks like others can and did.
    I hope they work - I would like one, but I am not convinced that they will not brick my DS (like n5's are reported to do).
    Has anyone tried either of these? I cannot find any user reports at all.

Edit
    I dual-boot DSTT and YSMenu on my DSTT.
    Neither of these show the full name of a Cheat, much less the paragraph of the cheat description as R4 does.
    I cannot change screen brightness from YSMenu, as I can on R4 or DSTT menu.
    So - YSMENU does NOT do the same thing as R4's firmware does.
    Nothing handles cheat names and descriptions as well as R4.
    Both handle software reset much better than R4, though.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I don't know if the R4 team is actually dead or not, but the way I see it is this; if a game comes out that I want to play and it doesn't work in my R4, and the R4 team doesn't update to fix it within a couple weeks to solve the problem, I WON'T buy the game, oh no. I will buy a new flashcart. Simple as that.

It doesn't matter how much a flashcart costs, it's MUCH more practical than buying any single game. A flashcart pays for itself very quickly. Buying a single game is just a waste of money, IMO.

There are rumors that the R4 team will release a FW in September to disable fake R4's.......that's all well-and-fine, but if they don't keep up on compatibility fixes during the the time in between, it will be a moot point to me as I will have already upgraded to a newer, better flashcart.

In the pirate's gaming world, September is an eternity to wait for a FW update. Especially if new games aren't working. We've been pretty lucky so far, I only know of two games that currently don't work in the R4...Hulk, which was easily fixed with an ARM7 fix (and sucked anyway) and that one game that requires a 1meg save file (which I have no interest in)... but if they are truly dead, it will only be a matter of time before new games just stop working on the cart. When that happens, upgrade time.

My R4 has served me well, but I won't hesitate to dump it off if it stops serving my needs.

7. Son of Science

Member Son of Science GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Edge>R4 who cares if the R4 is dead

8. g4med4d
    OP

Member g4med4d GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I've two R4s one of which I'll be giving to my niece soon. I'm replacing it with an Acekard2(my own use). [​IMG]

Maybe they have to stop production for a while due to the Olympics. All factories with 500km of Beijing have to shut down to try to improve the atmosphere. If the R4 is truly dead, it'll serve as a good reminder of the fun we've had with it.

R4's firmware is definitely not the greatest but it works for what it's suppose to do. I think giving out the source code is just a good way of thanking their customers and if the R4 team is not going to support it farther. Maybe they might come up with another product with better features.

9. manaphy4ever

Member manaphy4ever GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Bahrain

Maybe they have to stop production for a while due to the Olympics. All factories with 500km of Beijing have to shut down to try to improve the atmosphere. If the R4 is truly dead, it'll serve as a good reminder of the fun we've had with it.

thats what you say is true maybe right [​IMG] All factories with 500km of Beijing have to shut down to try to improve the atmosphere.

lets say when the 8/8/2008 when finish the Olympics show and come one day after then we see the site is it open or R4 Team Dead [​IMG]

10. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    FOR THE RECORD HERE..... clone R4 cards will no doubt die out too unless someone figures out how to make the updates themselves! ... Because at the minute they are just decrypting the R4 kernel firmware at the minute and re-badging as their own!

The R4-A v1.19 2008-04-24 firmware is R4 1.18 kernel ... it has the same flaws as the 1.18 the same games DO NOT BOOT the only plus point with the clones is they have added the hardware for SDHC mem cards the rest is all cloned!

11. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    The N5, and a R4 SDHC clone got a new firmware...... So, even clones get firmwares themselves....

12. AndreXL

Member AndreXL GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Philippines
    Right now, The R4 website gives me a " Directory Listing Denied" screen... [​IMG]
    Homepage is DOWN at the moment...
    http://www.r4ds.com/

13. BurlyEd

Member BurlyEd GBAtemp Fan

United States
    http://www.r4sdhc.com/download-en.htm

"Update R4 SDHC v1.20 kernel 2008-7-19
    1.Fixed some problems with the the multimedia configuration.
    2.Fixed compatibility issued with The Incredible Hulk?2341?2352)"

Has anyone tested this?

I have a couple of "R4 Advance's" on order from VolumeRate.
    I will report my experiences if and when I get them.

The R4-A v1.19 2008-04-24 firmware is not the same as the R4 SDHC v1.19 kernel 2008-6-15 download.
    Can it get any more confusing?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

14. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom

yes but ...THEY STILL DO NOT WORK!!

you or anyone can test them by patching them with the M4/R4/DSTT kernel patcher you can make them boot on the R4 but they still DO NOT LOAD the problematic games that the R4 will not load with real firmware .....example CARNIVAL GAMES and HULK still have the save error and refuse to go any further!

@BurlyEd as I've mentioned above you can hack the clone firmwares even the N5 firmwares to work on the R4 cards with the patcher tool [​IMG]

15. Raestloz

Member Raestloz GBATemp's Lone Wolf

Indonesia
    How do you think they'll disable the fakes? Isn't it possible to see what variables changed during the patching process and set some destructive commands (like auto-data-erasure, maybe?) triggerred by the variables's change?

16. BiscuitCookie

Member BiscuitCookie GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    Have you ever used both flash carts if not I understand why this is a wrong statement
    but if you did you should try again and rethink if you get the same conclusion get a brain surgeon (this is not about the R4 is dead part that doesn't matter to me)

17. Spongeboy5040

Newcomer Spongeboy5040 Newbie

United States
    Well i'll get back to you guys on the R4-Advance because i ordered one from volumerate.com and it just got thru customs yesterday. since then i have found out that the R4 is a fake and got a shiny new M3 Real yesterday [​IMG] so yea i'll keep ya posted on how well it works.