R4 DS Review By Rockstar99

Discussion in 'GBAtemp Reviews & Guides' started by rockstar99, Jun 7, 2009.

Jun 7, 2009

R4 DS Review By Rockstar99 by rockstar99 at 4:31 PM (5,461 Views / 0 Likes) 23 replies

1. rockstar99
    OP

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    If you need any flashcarts visit DSCartShop [​IMG]
    2 days ago i got a new cobalt ds lite and got an R4 DS free with a 2gb micro sd card so today i make this reviw for all tempsters:

Part A-Packaging
    The R4ds comes in a dark green box with a giant r4 logo on it and some other text giving out information on the card and where to download the software required to run it.The box is made of weak cardboard.When you open the boxthere will be a white box with the r4 containing an r4 card in a blue case,card reader and a cd with the firmware(note the firmware on the cd is outdated and you should not use it)
    The latest firmware can be downloaded from www.r4ds.cn
    [​IMG]

I would give packaging
    6/10

Part B-Cart design
    the r4ds is made of white plastic with a small slot to insert your microsd card.Its made of strong plastic but there have been many reports of the spring breaking but there is an easy fix to remove it but it requirs opening up the R4.The size of the cart is exactly the same as any other ds game and it fits perfectly into the ds slot.
    [​IMG]

I would give cart design
    8/10

Part C-Firmware/Gui
    The only think i hate about the R4 is that it gets no more updates.So let me give you a tour of their last update v1.18.When you turn on your nintnedo ds series system it will skip the ds menu and jump directly to the r4(meaning to use download play and pictochat you must take the card out which is not such a big deal)a loading screen will pop up for half a second and then you will be taken to the R4 menu.On the top screen there is a large R4 logo (this can be changed by skins).On the lower screen there are 3 icons.the first one from the left is games/homebrew when you select it it will start a file browser which is almost identical to ysmenu you can searh for your .nds files and boot them most of load in less then 4 second(tested on a kingston 2gb)It also creates .sav files for games which dont have one.The second option is music not much to explain about it all it does is launch moonshell (a popular ds media player which can play varios audio files and .dpg movies).Finally the last option is slot 2 it boots whatever is in slot 2 wheather its a slot 2 flash cart or a gba game.

[​IMG]

I would give the gui
    5/10
    Part D-How to set it up
    To set it up all you have to do is download the kernal from www.r4ds.cn and copy dsmenu.dat,system folder,moonshl folder and moonshl.nds to the root of your card and your done.
    [​IMG]

Its easy to set up so ill give it a 9/10 there

Part E- Homebrew compatibilty
    Ive tested a lot of apps and most dont work and also ive found out the ones that dont work all require to read stuff stored on the card like roms for emulators but homebrew which only need a.nds work flawlessly
    [​IMG]
    3/10
    Final Verdict

The R4 is a nice card with a user friendly gui and easy drag and drop controls so the final score i give it is

6/10
    But i dont reccomend anyone on the sit to buy it as the team is dead and there are no more firmware updates.
    [​IMG]

If you need any flashcarts visit DSCartShop [​IMG]

2. MasterPenguin

Member MasterPenguin GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I always liked the R4 packaging, especially its bonus blue case. But that's all I really do like of it, sadly.

3. rockstar99
    OP

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    yeah im using the blue box for my ttds right now

4. raing3

Member raing3 CNET_Richard

Australia
    LOL... I'd say the reason most homebrew won't work is probably because the R4DS doesn't have an auto-DLDI patching function so you'll probably have to do it on the computer... this is just a guess though I haven't actually looked to see if the R4 does patch homebrew.

5. rockstar99
    OP

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    wrong the r4 does auto dldi patching [​IMG]

6. Panzer Tacticer

Member Panzer Tacticer veteran human

Canada
    I'm impressed, impressed how this post is a recent post, but sounds like the poster is still in 2006.

Oh well, other than a real R4DS Revolution is actually black plastic. As long as he got it for free, and it actually works, he likely will be as happy as I am with mine (which I bought in 2006 back when anyone actually gave a damn about the thing).

7. nicky041192

Member nicky041192 GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    i think the r4 is good. it does whatever i wanted it to do. plays games,homebrew etc. i had no problemes at all. just because the cart is dead doesnt make it useless. just use ysmenu and its still good. its my opinion on the r4. i had it for around a year. no problems,easy to use.

8. rockstar99
    OP

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    yeah i know i also dont have that many problems people tell me to get another card but i dont see why if the r4 is working great and untill i find some major problem with it im not planning to upgrade

9. deathking

Member deathking GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
  10. Strider

Member Strider Next to the mainstream

Argggghhhh why does someone always dig up the R4 again...

That said, I still have one too and it works ok. However!

Buying one new has been a stupid idea for quite some time now. Prices for e.g. an acekard 2(i) are cheap and it's supported, no manual patching needed, etc.

Another thing: you should've mentioned ysmenu, since that is the most current 'firmware' you can have on the R4.

11. rockstar99
    OP

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    dude at the end of my review i said that you shouldnt buy one now cuz its outdated i just got mine for free

12. Strider

Yeah I noticed... still. It's like reviewing Windows 95 today: it'll work, but....

Feels like dragging a year old thread up to the top.

I also wanted to add, before the forum went kaputt: no offense, really none [​IMG]

13. rockstar99
    OP

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    well you can expect a acekard 2 review when i get mine in a week or 2

14. nicky041192

Member nicky041192 GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    i dont expect to upgrade from my r4 until its damaged.

15. rockstar99
    OP

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    same here but im getting an acekard 2 for my bros dsi could someone tell me whats the difference in akaio and the officail firmware

16. Strider

Citing the akaio wiki:

Right now the two firmwares can not be compared. AKAIO is leaps and bounds ahead of the firmware it was once based on. It features better compatibility, more options, more behind the scenes optimizations, better 3in1 support, anti-piracy patching, WI-FI updates, multiple patching methods, faster directory scrolling, more soft-reset fixes, a rewritten cheat engine, an active development team, and much more.

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php/AKAIO

17. RT-9

Member RT-9 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    mine R4 is not working properly now:s....sometimes it wont even boot up!! and instead of the R4 menu i get the DS main menu!
    even if i reboot the ds it still wont boot up!

no ofcourse i have to take the R4 out and in again to get it too work again!
    R4 sorta sucks in some ways but ok.. as long as it works...(barely could say that) i can play the games

**sigh**

18. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    I appreciate your hard work, but isn't the R4 team dead, and lets face it, there are better cards out now, but like 2years ago, the R4 was amongst the best cards money could buy you.

19. rockstar99
    OP

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    dude i got the thing for free and i am getting an acekard 2 in a week soo ill be reviewing that too its just that this is my only card for now and at the end i mentiond that if your planning on getting a new card dont get the r4 as its outdated but if you have 1 from brfore and dont have any problems with it its a good card to keep

20. Domination

Member Domination GBAtemp Psycho!

Singapore
    Oh the one you got from your father's friend? Is it an original one?

You have a DSTT and a R4.... plan on getting a better cart? Like Acekard, since both of your carts are pretty much dead.

And your final verdict should also add that you can't find an original r4 and everything else is crap so you shouldn't get it.