Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

R4 Commander V2.0 beta

By TrolleyDave

GBAtemp member TrolleyDave has released version 2.0 beta of his R4 Commander software - a tool designed to help manage your R4 ROMs, saves and homebrew.

Here's what's new in v2.0:
TrolleyDave said:
R4 Commander V2.0beta

-----------------------------

Main Features

- Drag and drop

- Automatically organize your games in the folder of your choice.

- Use the Classic R4 Commander file browser or the new library features.

- Optional renaming of your files automatically

- Trim your backups as they're copied to your card (Safe-trim method always used)

- Create build lists to copy games, movies, music, emulators, firmwares and more to your card easily.

- Automatic save retrieval or drop them in the window to have them automatically copied to the library.

- Automatic save archiving/backup and restore

- .ZIP, .RAR and .7z support.

- Use different modes to just copy stuff direct to your card or rename your files.

- Settings for DS-X and SCDS1 as well.

- Easily save and load your favourite builds.

- SkinR4 utility built-in!

- Automatic downloading of the latest release database

- View news downloaded direct from the internet.

Libraries

- Game library using a release database.

- Sort your games by game name, archive name or .NDS name.

- Show only games from various regions.

- Show only games of certain languages.

- Automatically rename the files in your library.

- Mark games as favourites and filter the others out.

- Homebrew library using .EZC packs.

- Organize homebrew software easily.

- Save library for easy browsing of saves.

- Archive your saves by the current date with the click of a button.

- R4DS Skin browser.

- Easily preview your skin archives.

- Easily preview the skins already on your MicroSD card.

- Easily apply your chosen skin to your card.

- Release List for easy browsing of all releases

- Show only missing games

- Show only missing games from various regions.
download.gif
Download R4 Commander 2.0 beta from our Downloads Centre.

Don't forget you can subscribe to files in the downloads centre and be informed of new updates by the authors via e-mail!

jhoff80

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Can't say that I see the point of most of the changes, and I have to say, I hate when the version of the file is included in the default install directory and start menu programs, because inevitably it ends up giving multiple copies.

In fact, I made it install into the C:\Program Files\R4 Commander\ folder, and what it ended up doing was making a subfolder there called R4 Commander v2.0. If I wanted it to install to that folder, I'd have told it to.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
It should be set to install into the R4 Commander folder with no subfolders. That's the way it installs on my machine.

I'll have a look at the installation build script.

jhoff80

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Also, is there any way to monitor a folder, and have it automatically check for new files added there?

Also, some of the buttons and text is too close to the edge, which since Vista has wider borders, cuts off some of them/ jumbles up the text at the bottom.

Finally, I can't figure out how to show only the missing games from one region.

My suggestions, would be a few things. First, everything in one window, rather than a new window coming up for each button you hit. Secondly, I'd do a little work on making things more intuitive to use, which they were in the old versions, but not quite as much in this version. Still a great program though.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Also, is there any way to monitor a folder, and have it automatically check for new files added there? 

Also, some of the buttons and text is too close to the edge, which since Vista has wider borders, cuts off some of them/ jumbles up the text at the bottom.

Finally, I can't figure out how to show only the missing games from one region.

My suggestions, would be a few things.  First, everything in one window, rather than a new window coming up for each button you hit.  Secondly, I'd do a little work on making things more intuitive to use, which they were in the old versions, but not quite as much in this version.  Still a great program though.

It doesn't automatically scan the folder but you can do a folder scan in a couple of clicks. Open the classic browser, browse to the folder you want to scan and click Catalog All. Anything that's not already in the library will be added.

I plan on putting everything in one window eventually but I'm only just learning to program for Windows (I haven't written anything since DOS) and to be honest with you because everything is so drastically different in size it's a little beyond me at the minute. I'm a pretty quick learner though so it'll come eventually.

Can you send me screenshots of where Vista is screwing stuff up? I haven't got it and don't know anyone with it so can't really design it with it in mind but if you show me pics of what it's doing I'll do my best.

Lot's of people complained that the first one had a huge learning curve and wasn't intuitive at all which is why I went this route! I'm thinking of moving the classic browser into the main window though as I'm thinking this might make it a bit easier at first glance. Any suggestions you've got would be great.

Thanks for the compliments as well, most appreciated!

EDIT: Oh yeah, totally forgot. To show your missing games from missing regions go to the release list (Libraries menu) and click the right mouse button. It'll bring up the options to select the country and missing games. I've put a checkbox in the new version and you just reminded that I meant to put a drop down list in as well!

I've put it in along with some error checking for the classic browser if you want to try redownloading it.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Vista:

Edit:Â I'm having trouble with the classic browser...Getting a file not found...

Cheers, I'll work on it tomorrow. Does the file browser still let you browse or does it stop? It's reading a directory from the registry in R4Commander\Paths called ROM_PATH and it doesn't exist. If you alter it to C:\ by editing the registry it'll solve the problem.

I'll put some error checking in tomorrow and it should fix the problem. It'll just default to the directory that the program starts up in.

Other than the graphical glitches is there any other problems with the program running under Vista?

Flyfishing

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Vista:

Edit:Â I'm having trouble with the classic browser...Getting a file not found...

Cheers, I'll work on it tomorrow. Does the file browser still let you browse or does it stop? It's reading a directory from the registry in R4Commander\Paths called ROM_PATH and it doesn't exist. If you alter it to C:\ by editing the registry it'll solve the problem.

I'll put some error checking in tomorrow and it should fix the problem. It'll just default to the directory that the program starts up in.

Other than the graphical glitches is there any other problems with the program running under Vista?
After file -> classic browser, I get an error "File not found"
After changing the registry key I continue to get the error.

And I haven't played around too much...I'll load the program onto an XP computer tomorrow and try to see what I can do on it that I can't do on Vista.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I've uploaded a new version that'll default to the programs launch folder if it encounters an error when opening up the classic browser if you want to download it and see if it fixes the problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night