R4 cannot lock micro SD card?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by eltia, Jan 12, 2007.

Jan 12, 2007

R4 cannot lock micro SD card? by eltia at 3:58 AM (1,637 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. eltia
    OP

Newcomer eltia Member

Canada
    Hi all. My friend tried his R4 today and he found out his micro SD card cannot be locked into the memory card holder of R4. (i.e. the "click" sound is gone and the micro SD card keeps popping back up.)

I am wondering is there any quick fix for this? Thanks!

2. mflo

Member mflo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Have you opened it and taken a look at it? Does the thing that makes the clicky noise look ok? Maybe if you can determine why it won't lock, You'll be able to fix it.
    "Whats that clickin noise?" LoL, This reminded me of Henry Cho on comedy central

3. dazinith

Newcomer dazinith Member

i had this same issue.. it worked fine the 1st time i put it in ("click!"), but it didn't when i tried it again..

its pretty easy to fix. one solution would be to take it apart, but i didnt want to risk that route..

basically there isn't enough tension being put on the card to get it to click..

all you need to do is take the SD card out, provide pressure on the front and back of the R4 in the position of where the SD goes (squeeze the R4 where the card goes into it), and then insert the SD while providing moderate pressure.. it should go in and click and you should be good to go..

ive been doing this since i got mine about 10 days ago, i've noticed that now it actually clicks on its own most of the time, but seeing as how you have to hold the R4 to put the SD in it anyways - it isnt any harder to just put some small pressure on it around the slot when inserting the card..

no big deal, although you could go the screwdriver route and just make it a bit snugger i suppose.

4. Katalyst

Member Katalyst Johnald Everyperson

United States
    That sucks about the card holder for you two. I usually keep my R4 inside of the DS and just take the mircoSD card out when I need to transfer roms. I'm assuming with this problem you wouldn't be able to do that since you've gotta put pressure on the R4...that's gotta suck :/ As long as it works though ;p

5. eltia
    OP

Newcomer eltia Member

Canada
    Thanks for all the suggestion. I will let me friend knows and see if he has any luck!

P.S. Further suggestion are welcome!

6. CatScam

Member CatScam ScamaRama!

United States
    Just a thought, but if dazinith’s tension on the card idea seems to work. Why not open the case &
    squeeze the SD holder to permanently be a tighter fit then screw the case back together & in theory
    all should be good from then on.

7. notchristopher

Member notchristopher GBAtemp Regular

United States
    same thing happened to me but your suggestions wont work for me. im gonna have to email gameyeeah for a replacement (doubt i'll get it). sucks cause its only ONE day old.

edit: well i got it in... but now it wont come out heh...

edit 2: just to finish up, i broke the clicky thing and now i have to put in and remove my card by just pushing and pulling but it is still secure so thats good.

8. kiruyama

Newcomer kiruyama Advanced Member

United States
    couldn't you switch the shells? blah, I wouldn't know, I don't have my R4 yet. [​IMG]

9. Philosophy

Newcomer Philosophy Advanced Member

United States
    ^^I was thinking the switch shell thing to as I think the spring mech is on the shell and not the board, but can't remember from the pictures posted and haven't had to take mine apart. You MAY want to try and contact R4 direct via there email and see what they say if the retailer gives you shit. Since it's a new product they are going to want their customers to be happy. Plus you can give them some excuse if they give you shit like they can use yours as an example for future product development.... [​IMG]

10. Nestea80

Member Nestea80 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    That's sorta scary ... I leave my R4 in my DS Lite when I take out the MicroSD card. I'm gonna be very careful with it ...

11. notchristopher

Member notchristopher GBAtemp Regular

United States

Update:

After using my R4 for a few days (bout 20 times in and out, changing skins and stuff) the clicky thing started working again and all is fine. Funny stuff.. Would be in a good mood about this except the Eagles lost and the Bears won so I'm still pretty upset. =\

12. eltia
    OP

Newcomer eltia Member

Canada
    Well believe it or not. My friend just repeated what you described and he reported success. I guess R4 has self healing power too? [​IMG]