R4 basic questions?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by skfields01, Jan 1, 2007.

Jan 1, 2007

R4 basic questions? by skfields01 at 7:13 PM (1,519 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. skfields01
    OP

Member skfields01 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I will be getting my R4 on Friday and wanted to get a jump on things and have a few questions.

1. R4 uses straight Drag & Drop. I know the Supercard DS and EZ-Flash V both have D&D and Patching software. There is no patching software for the R4 at all?

2. To update to the latest Hardcore... is this really just firmware upgrades? If so... all I need to do is put the Shell Folder and DS_MENU.DAT、 _DS_MSHL.NDS to the TF card?

3. Can I use any Rom Trimming software... or does it have to be the one supplied on R4's website?

4. Using the Rom Trimming software... it talks about files .nds and .ids. What is an .ids?

2. ShadowXP

Member ShadowXP ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

United Kingdom
    I'm not sure about your other questions but I can definately answer your first one, you can drag and drop clean ROMs onto the R4 without the need for patching.

3. aristo

Newcomer aristo Advanced Member

South Africa
    1. Yes R4 uses drag and drop... No patching what so ever.

2. It's not firmware.. more like os upgrade. R4 looks for the hardcore when boot up and loads them.
    It's matter of just unziping into the MicroSD.

3. Not sure about other trimming software..

4. nds is Nintendo DS rom dump file, ids is China's ique (China version of Nintendo DS which runs Chinese DS roms).

Hope it answered your question.

4. Kyuzumaki

Member Kyuzumaki GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I only have 2 trimmers one from ds-x manager and the r4 one both work fine so yeah. As long as the prog trims properly it'll work fine