Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
you forgot realhotstuff ^^

just a question how do i know if the game needs to be patched?
RHS = RealHotStuff.com

If you open a game in GBATA it will tell you what the save type is. SRAM and None don't need to be patched. EEPROM and flash save types need the SRAM patch.

Icarus

fire walk with me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So here's my final questions. I figured out most of the stuff but I've read somewhere that some games just have problems if they run on PSRAM. Can anyone confirm that? So can I just use NOR all the time instead of PSRAM? I know the loadings are longer etc but it has better support and it can run games that are bigger than 16MB right? [Besides you just have to load it once then you can just boot it from the slot2 option]

Another thing. What exactly GBA Loader does that E-Z V Client can't do? I don't seem to have any problems with EZ V Client so far.

EDIT: I edited the whole post cuz I figured out most of the stuff I've asked before.
QFE? I'm really sorry, I hate this but I don't want to be ignored, really =/

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It looks like all of the problems with running games from PSRAM are caused by the EZ4 Client. If you want to run a game from PSRAM, patch it with GBATA instead. If you're only going to run games from NOR, it shouldn't matter which program you use to patch the games.

If the games have been patched with GBATA, you should be able to run games in both NOR and PSRAM modes without having problems with the saves getting overwritten.

You can run any GBA game (that works on the 3-in-1) from NOR. You can only run games up to 16MB from PSRAM.

Games that use 128KB (AKA 1 Mbit or 1024 Kbit) saves are a bit more complicated. They can be patched with GBATA, and if they still work afterwards, they can be run from PSRAM. If they do not run or save properly after being patched with GBATA they must be patched with the EZ4 Client instead, and then they can only be run from NOR.

GBALdr doesn't do much that the EZ-V kernel doesn't do in terms of running games, but it does have a few other features like the ability to dump GBA roms. If the EZ-V does everything you need/want by itself, feel free to not bother with other software.

Icarus

fire walk with me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That's interesting. Then I guess I should use GBATA all the time to patch my games just to be sure[instead of 128kb games]. The games I've tried so far worked perfectly with GBATA patch.

Also, I've read somewhere that once you start playing a game on PSRAM or NOR, I should always keep playing it with the same option. Is this true? Or can I altarnate between PSRAM and NOR for the same game?

SargeSmash

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Destructobot is right. My several posts chronicle the pain induced by the EZ-Flash client. Nothing wrong using it for anything run in NOR, but if you move to PSRAM, you can expect to start losing stuff. Use GBATA for all BUT the 1Mb Flash games, of which there are few, if I'm not mistaken (the Pokemons and Super Mario 3 come to mind).

Also, you probably don't want to alternate, although something tells me you might be able to if you're careful, although I have also been informed that it's probably not a good idea. Now that I've resolved my issues, I may test to see if swapping on the games works correctly. It'd be something interesting to know.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can play a game from PSRAM then flash it to NOR (or vice versa) without problems, but you need to be carful about having two saves for the same game in SRAM at once. The same save file is used for both modes, so you could end up having the most recent save overwritten with an older one.

If you play a game from PSRAM, back up its save (or load a different game in PSRAM mode) before you write the game to NOR. If you have a game flashed to NOR, don't load the game into PSRAM until you've written a different game to NOR.

JeffForSale

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just got my EZFlash and have gotten the basics down, but once i load up a game, how do i soft-reset it?

and is there a way to save gba states? whenever i try to save using the ingame saver i get "error eeprom write 49153"
frown.gif

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can't soft reset out of GBA games. You cannot save the state of a GBA game with the 3-in-1.

You need to patch the games that use EEPROM or Flash save types. Use GBATA for all save types EXCEPT Flash 1024 Kbit. Use the EZ4 Client for games that use Flash 1024 Kbit saves. GBATA will tell you what the save type is.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=224

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
All flash memory can only be written so many times before it stops working, regardless of whether it's NOR like the 3-in-1 uses or NAND like SD cards use.

Information on how many write cycles flash memory can survive is inconsistant. The numbers I've seen range from a guranteed minimum of 1,000 writes to a maximum of 1,000,000 writes. I'd think the actual number is somewhere inbetween, probably around 10,000+ writes for the 3-in-1. That's just a guess though.

Icarus

fire walk with me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, if I just use NOR for games that are bigger than 32 MB, I don't think I'll have a problem. I want it as future proof as possible. But it's not like it's an expensive thing anyway.

seto9008

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
omg stop bumping it.. look at the date it was made >_> JUNE 27!! so stop posting stuff about stuff that are so old..

Hiratai

I'm like *tick* *tick*
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Can someone please help me with NOR. Every time I try to flash a game it stays at 0% at it's really aggravating me. Can anyone please help?

leetdude_007

Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wow. I have to read through this. It'll REALLY help out the GBAtemp wiki with the accuracy and the pokey and the man.

EDIT:
Can someone please help me with NOR. Every time I try to flash a game it stays at 0% at it's really aggravating me. Can anyone please help?

I don't know if this is reliable yet: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/index.php?title=3_..._for_EZ-Flash_V
It basically tells you to properly patch your loader program with DLDI and properly patch your ROMs. Also, try waiting. the NOR is slow... unless it's taking more than minute to get any progress past 0%.

boinkboink

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Help me guys.. I just purchased EZ Flash V 3-in-1 and I am having problem with loading GBA games. It freezes at GBA logo whether I used Rudolph or NDStation. I used the steps suggested at http://youtube.com/watch?v=5iOvpO3-96Y and http://youtube.com/watch?v=_gPJr25R7BE (I can't believe I learned from a kid).

Anyway I also tried DLDI patching the nds roms, still no avail.

What else do I need to do? Patch the R4 firmware? Please any answer is appreciated.

valyr

Trophies
XP
Country
un-zip rudolphs 3 in 1 tool and place the .nds into the root of your memory stick. now create in the root of your memory stick a folder called gba and inside that create one called save, place unaltered gba roms into the gba folder and run the 3 in 1 tool and it should work at least it did for me. some gamesave types will need patching to allow saving for this use ez-flash 4 client and patcher (get it here )and run your roms through the patcher i think its eeprom type and flash 512 type saves that need patching but i just patched them all to be safe
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.