R4 and CycloDS Evolution

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by TriggerOfHel, Aug 3, 2008.

Aug 3, 2008

R4 and CycloDS Evolution by TriggerOfHel at 7:43 AM (1,489 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. TriggerOfHel
    OP

Newcomer TriggerOfHel Member

United States
    Alright...

Recently, I've been hearing that there is some sort of update that allows the CycloDS Evolution to run GBA ROMs much easier than other flashcards, though it still requires the EZFlash 3-in-1. Paired with SDHC compatibility and the fact that one of my SD cards recently fried, I'm seriously thinking of ditching my R4 and getting myself a Cyclo.

However, my friends all have R4 cards, and I've heard there was some incompatibility issues between the carts when it came to multiplayer in some video games. I doubt there is really any place that can pinpoint all the problems and let me know what the two are compatible with, but I was wondering if it would still be worth it. I also was wondering about skin-compatibility and how the cheat editor works.

Anyway, any and all feedback is appreciated.

EDIT: OH! And I was also wondering which of these applications won't work (if any) on the CycloDS:

Pocket Physics
    NitroTracker
    StillAliveDS
    World of Sand DS
    Population: Tire
    lameboyDS
    SNEmulDS
    PowderDS
    jEnesisDS
    nesDS
    Colors!

2. Raestloz

Member Raestloz GBATemp's Lone Wolf

Indonesia
    I think there's no problem with WFC between carts, since WFC uses Nintendo's built in WFC mechanics inside the DS. It's not the carts who talk while playing using WFC, it's the DS, so getting a Cyclo won't give you problem

I heard CycloDS has a pretty good homebrew compatibility, but I don't have Cyclo, I only own R4, so I can't tell you

3. paul3100

Member paul3100 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I don't own an R4 any more but i can say for sure that all the apps and games you listed will work on the cyclods, the cyclods and (my card) the supercard slot 1 schc1 have great almost perfect homebrew support.

And as for your first question as Raestloz answered , it should be fine :-)

A good idea to invest in a new card though and ditch that R4, sell it to your mates who have never heard of ds flash carts and make loads of £££$$$

paul

4. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South
    well first of all, wrong section.

The R4 has a problem in homebrew when compared to other carts, and cycloDS will probably be the best flashcart. So if something works in the R4, just think it will work in cycloDS.
    for more information, just search for any topic in http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showforum=40

5. evoo1

Member evoo1 GBAtemp Regular

Austria
    I'm using a CycloDS EVO (1.41 firmware) and all of these homebrews work for me [​IMG]

6. Kaos

Member Kaos Good show!

Australia
    Everything the R4DS can do, the CycloDS can do.

7. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    No.

8. Cykoduck

Newcomer Cykoduck Member

Australia
    Actually, it's Anything the R4 can do, The CycloDs can do better

Also, the Cyclods can soft-reset while in a homebrew.

so, it's way better then a R4 [​IMG]

9. LuOmeoga

Member LuOmeoga GBAtemp Regular

United States
    =] Happy editing.

10. matrix121391

Member matrix121391 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I too have been wanting to get a CycloDS in place of my R4 for a while, but after thinking about it, spending an extra $50 bucks on a brand new flashcart when the R4 works fine is a waste. Sure the R4 isn't nearly as good as the CycloDS, but none of the extra features from the CycloDS are NECESSARY. Unless you really want the extra features, then get the upgrade, but if not, just stick with whatever's working. Plus, I hear SDHC drains your battery life faster, so unless you need a LOT more room on your SD card, an R4 should still be fine. Anyway, that's just my humble opinion. No offense to anyone. Also, the fact that school is right around the corner also affects my thoughts. Not a lot of gaming time for me in the upcoming months... [​IMG]

11. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    Buy an M3 Real, theres optional GBA support and cheat switch. They help me!
    The CycloDS is awesome but M3 is better in my opinion (I havn't actually seen/got one, but I'll be getting one to review from dealwoot)