R4 - 5 months old - not recognized by NDS at times

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Another World, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Another World
    OP

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    My R4 is now 5 months old. I use a 1GB Japanese Kinston MSD and a 2GB Japanese, FAT 32 formatted running the current firmware. They have both been tested on other flash kits and work perfectly. I am an adult and I respect my gaming systems and use them with care. The following problems have happened since the 1.16 firmware, however as stated I am not running the most current. The NDS is a DS Lite with no other problems or issues related to retail cards or my other flash kits. The NDS is clean and in perfect working order. The R4 contacts are clean and have never been touched by my fingers or placed in a area that would have compromised them in any way.

With that said...

Starting a few weeks ago when I boot up my NDS with the R4 in it at times it will freeze at a half faded Nintendo logo. Other times it loads up just fine but the R4 is not detected. I sometimes have to eject it multiple times before the NDS can see it in slot1. Some games will now freeze up while booting or duing game play if I pause. I have had no problems with Homebrew.

These problems are not usually an every day issue. It only seems to happen if I take the R4 out (to load a new ROM, etc). If I leave it in and carry it with me while on the go I have no issues.

I have read others complaining about such issues and I am just curious if the R4 is in some way defective or perhaps just worn out after only half a year of use.

Any constructive comments or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Another World

2. Brocktree

Member Brocktree GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Ive had mine for just about 1.5 years now and everything is working fine. Though my spring is gone.

3. Foxmc

Newcomer Foxmc Newbie

Brazil
    Unfortunately, I happened to experience the same problem if mine, I tried putting the paper, but even if that I couldn't make it work properly, I am going to buy a acekard RPG when it'll become available here, in Brazil.

But sometimes I can play it without problem. I think the problem really is the contacts thought.

P.S: Sorry about the bad english.

4. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    hm. it mite just be a simple dust issue? try taking the r4 out, blowing on it and the ds cartage slot softly, and that should do the trick. if the problem persists, trying reformatting ur microsd card. if it STILL doesn't work, then there's probably something wrong with the r4 itself.

5. Holaitsme

Member Holaitsme 10/10 would be loyal again

United States
    are the contacts clean blow into the r4 and the ds lite slot 1 that use to happen to me and this would fix it for me

6. genuisgeek

Member genuisgeek GBAtemp Regular

United States
    well although i dont have a r4(dstt) my suggestion is that if u still have the spring keep the r4 cart inside and only eject the mirosd card when loading roms
    thats what i do the card is like literlly glued inside the ds lol
    you've prob heard reviews about the dstt having contact problems out of the box but mine is fine and has been for almost 4.5 months

so just keep ur r4 in the ds

7. Raestloz

Member Raestloz GBATemp's Lone Wolf

Indonesia
    That won't work, sadly. Taking out the microSD doesn't guarantee your NDS will always accept R4, I know it soce I've experienced it. And I can't play my DS for a whole day because of that stupid contacts

8. Another World
    OP

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    my r4 is the new style without the spring. i have popped it in and out of my nds more than the average user as i was writing my nesds compatibility list (see sig). the nds was blown into to clean it of any dust. i had an issue with my R shoulder button not working so i am aware of what a tiny bit of dust can do to the nds.

i wonder if the r4 simply has a limited life span which runs out the more you take it in and out of your nds. in the 5 months i have owned it i have probably taken it in and out at least 25 times a week which would be close to or maybe over 500 times total.

as i said in my first post i have read about users who had this problem, simply that the r4 has what appears to be contact issues at or around 6 months. i tried holding it in various positions when it failed to be recognized. positions as in holding it down, holding it forward, etc. nothing helped and only popping it in and out of the nds a few times allowed it to function.

i would like to understand why and perhaps fix it if someone knows the cause. i can't really say that i'm upset because i only spent $45 on it and have already gotten my money out of it, compared to the 1 nds game i could have purchased for the same amount of money.

anyways thanks for replies so far, who else has something to add?

-another world

9. DarkSpace

Member DarkSpace Custom member title

United States
    Try rubbing alcohol, I think, you might want to look that suggestion up before doing it.

10. Grimalkin

Member Grimalkin Waaaaaaaah!

Canada
    Do not blow into onto your R4 contacts. Use rubbing alcohol.

Saliva = 99% Water.

Water + Non-stainless metal = corrosion.

Corrosion = Genital Herpes.

Look it up.

11. OrcMonkey©

Banned OrcMonkey© Banned

sh*t

12. MysteriousCookie

Newcomer MysteriousCookie Advanced Member

Australia
    mine stuffs up too [​IMG]
    my solution is to push it al the way in so that is isnt locked into slot 1
    then turn on the ds, if it works, turn of the ds and let it lock into slot one
    and [​IMG]

13. Raestloz

Indonesia
    True, water+non-stainless metal= corrosion, but if you do it correctly, a simple blow will only spray air with water excluded, and it works 99% of time with me now, I don't have any idea why it is though o.O

14. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    Fold a 2" square of paper in half and put it behind the R4. Mine was doing the exact same thing, now it works perfectly.

15. Raestloz

Indonesia
    How did you make the paper? I tried the same thing, and nothing changed, can you post a pic about the paper? I wanna try it too

16. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    It just has to be thick enough to force the card to the right side - I used a piece of card stock, and put it behind the card (closest to the bottom of the DS)

17. teH XeRO

Member teH XeRO GBAtemp Fan

United States
    ive experienced this issue at random times over the span that i've owned by r4 for. for me, taking it out of the ds and putting it back in the slot-1 seems to fix the problem when it does occur