-R? +R?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Osaka, Mar 5, 2008.

Mar 5, 2008

-R? +R? by Osaka at 3:48 PM (1,724 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. Osaka
    OP

Member Osaka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    whats the difference between -R and +R on DVDs? why are there two versions? which is better for what? [​IMG]

2. paul1991

Banned paul1991 Banned

United States
  3. BigX

Member BigX GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    welcome to the internet.
    you will find a lot of information if you know how to use it.
    First of all there are search engines....[skiping some parts]
    at Wikipedia (for example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD) you find some shared knowledge
    You must have mist a lot of discussion, it took years for the market to "accept" and understand the two formats.

generally DVD-R:
    - is the format approved by DVD-Forum, which published the official specifications for all the DVD Norms out there.
    - the copy protection is assured by the way, the user could only write information from a certain sector no. on. and each commercial DVD has some kind of ID, that cannot be written by ordinary burners.

DVD+R
    - was developed by the DVD+RW Alliance...pretty much the same "war" as with HD DVD and Blu-ray in the last years
    - the copy protection is, that you can write from certain adresses on (a little bit earlier than DVD-R) and the burners firmware must set the booktype of the media accordingly.
    - Is the format you can alter the book type of a burned media, if there is an illegal hacked firmware available

you can use both formats for any means, they are working according to their specifications. The problems start if you want to copy something you are not allowed to do ;-)

seldom know facts:
    - DVD-R DL are called "Dual Layer", while DVD+R DL are called "Double Layer"
    - problems and chances of your succes are linked to the used firmware and media charge

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
  5. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    -R is the original format, but then some other company decided that they would make a better format of +R. People claim -R is more stable, I say they are full of bull as I have a nice collection of -R coasters despite the fact that they take longer to burn. Now a days, you can't buy a burner/reader that doesn't do both formats. So just buy + and enjoy not having coasters.

6. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    What's a coaster?

7. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    Coasters are rings that you put on tables to set drinks on so the drinks don't leave water rings on your furniture. When a disc fails to burn correctly, it is referred to as a coaster as it's the only thing it's good for.

8. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    I have far more +R coasters than -R.
    I don't think I have any -R TBH, aside from the ones where I realised I made a mistake and stopped the burn process.

9. CrEsPo

Member CrEsPo GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Reason why your DVD's are turning into coasters: Blank DVD Media Quality Guide

As for +/- R it's really simple. DVD +R is the newer and better format. DVD -R is the older and more compatible format. If you have an old DVD player it might not be able to play DVD +R, but all modern DVD players will play DVD +R media.

Why DVD+R(W) is superior to DVD-R(W)

10. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    Even after reading that link, I can't see why +R is better. Also that link is comparing the (different) -RW and +RW specifications.

11. xJonny

Member xJonny ...

Most cheap drives write +RW at 8x and -RW at 6x, so that's faster, not sure about +R and -R though.

12. Osaka
    OP

Member Osaka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I didn't ask here because I don't know how to use the internet. I asked so I could discuss it and read the people, that I know, opinions on the differences

Thanks for the Info too

13. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    love dvd+r media like a newborn child [​IMG]

14. CrEsPo

Member CrEsPo GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    The article was written in June 03 so I assume that support for this feature is available.

15. Cletebob

Newcomer Cletebob Member

United States
    The way I chose was to buy a small pack of each, and see what worked better with MY gear, and that is what I use. The burners will use either in almost every case, but sometimes different players are picky and will play one better than the other. All the tech info in the world means nothing if you buy the "better" media, and it doesn't work on your particular player of choice...

My 2 cents. [​IMG]

16. BigX

Member BigX GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Well I did not think you couldn't find that but from my experience such a question always leads to this pointless discussion.
    There is no way to give a qualified reason as any of the formats available is the one and only format valid for all purposes.
    It allways depends on the purpose and available equipment...

hth anyway ;-)

oh and don't forget...my opinion is the only correct one forget all the others.
    Do not confuse me with facts, my opinion is set ;-)

17. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    Virtually no difference, I got a 100 pack of TDK disks for 20$ and never once had a coaster.

18. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    Sometimes it's not about +/-, sometimes it's the brand. I bought a pack of no name DVD's and nearly all of them were coasters, the memorax ones are good to this day.

19. Jaejae

Member Jaejae Superfly Don't Used

New Zealand
    I bought a 50 pack of Verbatims for $15NZD, and no coasters so far.