R.I.P. Public CDNSP Cert. as Nintendo Getting Better

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by KsAmJ, Aug 24, 2018.

1. guitarheroknight

guitarheroknight 1.6180339887

Nov 9, 2014
    Norway
    Grand Line
    Well fuck Nintendo then, I'll jump trough some hoops if I get CDN banned for the system updates. The game updates and DLC are easy money though.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  2. Ashura66

Ashura66 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 1, 2016
    Portugal
    Under my bed
    FOR NOW. But you have to remember one thing: The DLC and game updates that you can download on certain sites? They all come from CDNSP. And if CDNSP becomes completely unusable...

leda likes this.
  3. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2004
    Then they will switch to dumping DLC and game updates from a real Switch and uploading those instead, no different than how it was done on the 3DS before CDN downloading existed. And then there will be playloads that just dump DLC/game updates/system updates without booting into the Switch OS or changing anything that could be detected, assuming that is not possible already).

Last edited by nl255, Aug 24, 2018
  4. isoisoiso

isoisoiso GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2018
    Niger
    -----a and eherrera322 like this.
  5. Pluupy

Pluupy _(:3」∠)_

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Things just become less convenient but not impossible. People will just return to downloading from rom sites or rather, forums which post links to third party file uploads. It takes a single legit purchase of software to rip the .nsp or .xci.

alepman90 and -----a like this.
  6. kumikochan
    This message by kumikochan has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Aug 25, 2018, Reason: Empty.
    Aug 24, 2018
  7. Ashura66

Ashura66 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 1, 2016
    Portugal
    Under my bed
    Provided people are willing to do that. Because although those sites DO exist already(I know of a HUGE repository of them), they all come from CDNSP. Only time will tell i suppose

8. Pluupy

Pluupy _(:3」∠)_

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Before CDNSP people just ripped their games. With recent tools, such as converters, it will just continue without much issue. This is nothing new. Same as before FreeShop on 3DS.

9. Ashura66

Ashura66 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 1, 2016
    Portugal
    Under my bed
    So it's a step back instead of a step forward.Guess that's just how things work

10. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Normal people shouldn't even care as scene groups (BBB) buy fucked up consoles rip the cert and download as much content as they can anyways, this is no different from the 360 with unbanned KV's dying in 30 minutes to 3 hours of usage.

11. jjbredesen

jjbredesen WarezNX Owner

GBAtemp Patron
    jjbredesen is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 16, 2018
    Norway
    Hyrule
    Ups, thought the topic was client certs...

12. andijames

andijames GBAtemp Fan

Jan 28, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Manchester
    I can't believe people are annoyed at not getting something for free. :) I don't blame them for clamping down on this. What did you expect? God forbid people will have to pay for games now and use CFW for homebrew and retro!

13. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    Because Nintendo showed them they were wrong?

14. sorabora

sorabora GBAtemp Regular

Dec 8, 2016
    United States
    But are actual firmware files a thing you can download (like iOS, for example)? I've never come across one...though I've never looked.

15. Ashura66

Ashura66 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 1, 2016
    Portugal
    Under my bed
    You can but you'd have to find them on your own

sorabora likes this.
  16. sorabora

sorabora GBAtemp Regular

Dec 8, 2016
    United States
    Right. Just didn’t know if it was an actual thing that could be done. Thanks.

17. V-Temp

V-Temp GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 20, 2017
    United States
    People will have to be very careful with firmware downloads, make sure you get them from a very trusted source.

18. Nerdtendo

Nerdtendo Your friendly neighborhood idiot

Sep 29, 2016
    United States
    Guess we'll just have to stick to dumped nsps now. Props to Nintendo for at least improving. I need to buy a second switch though before they go full nuclear

19. Biff627

Biff627 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 15, 2015
    United States
    RIP updates lol. Getting the last updates that I need and then im outty

20. sorabora

sorabora GBAtemp Regular

Dec 8, 2016
    United States
    rest assured I would only download the finest artisanal, organic firmware for use on my Switch.

nero99, kikongokiller, cearp and 2 others like this.
  21. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    It has been a while since I read the CDN breakdown and subsequent. 2 days seems kind of long. If they are that hard on things surely they would just download 3 or 4 unique games or do something unique and from a known IP (I assume the CDN tools don't go out through TOR or anything) and note the cert used.

Do we not have the Nintendo public keys? Even if there were not hashes able to be posted to trusted sites surely they would be able to be used to verify along with games themselves. Also do you expect dodgy firmwares to happen? I am not sure I have seen anything like that before for any previous device despite ample opportunity to do it.