R.I.P. Public CDNSP Cert. as Nintendo Getting Better

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by KsAmJ, Aug 24, 2018.

1. deinonychus71

deinonychus71 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 12, 2008
    United States
    Chicago
    Ok but... I don't see how hard it would be to just put that behind a proxy/middleware that checks activity on a specific cert. If there's a sudden peak coming from different IPs it wouldn't be hard to flag...
    I don't know, I can't believe this isn't monitorable xD

2. V-Temp

V-Temp GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 20, 2017
    United States
    Monitoring millions of certificates in real time on intercept would consume more bandwidth than CDNSP does, probably. They clearly do log it but it doesn't seem to be monitored in real time. They likely have a log of access per cert, and just do simple checks every so often then purge bad certs.

3. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    I dunno about consume more bandwidth, but they would have to give people specifically that job, in the end nintendo doesnt care, they probably only ban so they can talk about how they ban people when someone at a stockholder meeting says "what are you doing about piracy".

4. Mr. Wizard

Mr. Wizard Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    E8 lattice
    Their infrastructure can no doubt handle logging every connection they get, it's an emergent property. What they aren't doing is running any auto ban algorithm since if something goes wrong, it would be catastrophic. Imagine millions of people mistakenly getting banned. So what they do is consolidate all the information using some kind of parsing algorithm and then batch issue bans accordingly, at their leisure/discretion.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  5. Indigo Marz

Indigo Marz Indigo Marz - No HooX

Aug 4, 2011
    United States
    Funcoland
    I play it every day on as hard as it goes and have fun, yea it could have more but I'm enjoying it and I'll def enjoy it more on switch

6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Wouldn't be that bad PR* and said in house credit stuff would probably do even then. Spin it along the lines of "in our efforts to combat piracy and online cheating and misuse of our services we accidentally excluded someone we later found to be using the services acceptably, by way of apology for the inconvenience we have offered the person affected free online and some credit for the shop and have taken measures to make sure this false detection does not happen again". Maybe throw in there a nice custom theme/skin/badge just for them.

In private respond to them with our services say this is the data, if you wish to allow us to do a forensic analysis on the device then we will send a courier.

*MS banned plenty of people under dubious circumstances. Never got any traction in the gaming press.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  7. Bellebite2000

Bellebite2000 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 31, 2018
    Afghanistan
    Well, I used to be a journalist, and all the manufacturers are providing tons of free, trips all around the world, games and stuff all the time. Why would you eat the hand feeding you? When you are a journalist, you are either a prostitute, or you don't have a job.

What is easier? Get a free flight, hotel, free food and shit, the latest GeForce for free and say this is the best thing ever invented OR try to get one on your own (with your own money and network), not having to sign any NDA and say what you want about it? Look at any popular website, and you will see the answer. People should only review games / hardware they purchased with their OWN money, and not owing anything anyone. Any other "reviewer" is just a prostitute, whether they admit it or not.

8. smf

smf GBAtemp Addict

Feb 23, 2009
    It will come down to how much money they want to invest as they have to pay salaries to people rubber stamping the bans.

The amount of potential bans being thrown up by their system will also play a part.

9. YodaXY

YodaXY Member

Newcomer
    Jan 26, 2009
    Germany
    sorry guys but i'm a bit confused is the cert offline now? If not where can I find a new one?

10. Ashura66

Ashura66 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 1, 2016
    Portugal
    Under my bed
    There's a new cert already

11. Ashura66

Ashura66 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 1, 2016
    Portugal
    Under my bed

Last edited by Ashura66, Sep 17, 2018
  12. guily6669

guily6669 GbaTemp is my Drug

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    If I try Freeshop on the 3DS will I get instantly banned and not even work?

13. Ashura66

Ashura66 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 1, 2016
    Portugal
    Under my bed
    Probably wont even work

14. CallmeBerto

CallmeBerto Vigilante

GBAtemp Patron
    CallmeBerto is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 1, 2017
    United States
    USA
    -snip-

Last edited by CallmeBerto, Sep 21, 2018 - Reason: nvm dumb question
  15. Toctave
    This message by Toctave has been removed from public view by linuxares, Sep 21, 2018, Reason: No.
    Sep 21, 2018
  16. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    Stop asking for a new Cert. It's not something you are allowed to share here.

mmajunkie77 and andyhappypants like this.
  17. andyhappypants

andyhappypants Pika!

Jul 27, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Hoenn
    NVM...

18. KsAmJ
    OP

KsAmJ GBAtemp Regular

Oct 1, 2015
    CDNSP Public Cert Status: DEAD

GAME OVER

Last edited by KsAmJ, Sep 26, 2018
  19. Switchup

Switchup Member

Newcomer
    Aug 28, 2018
    Australia
    Fun while it lasted. Fingers crossed for not dauth.

F

20. Darth Meteos

Darth Meteos Entertainer

GBAtemp Patron
    Darth Meteos is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 6, 2015
    Australia
    Down Under
    Rest in peace, CDNSP.

mmajunkie77 likes this.
  21. aos10

aos10 ❤ Zelda ❤\(^o^)/

Apr 10, 2012
    Saudi Arabia
    and this time for good
    "RIP all certs. Nintendo has finally implemented Dauth when downloading games, thus banning your cert the moment it detects your trying to get one you don't own. If you want games from this point on, you will have to use torrents made from CDNSP or that dark site. DO NOT test any certs from this point on, you'll have them insta-banned."