Hacking r.i.p., GMMUHax

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't updated, and I see the major risks if I do, but I don't know how long I can wait without biting the bullet. If there is no CFW soon, I may just say fuck it and miss out on hacking my system this time around.

Soluble

Trophies
XP
Country
I haven't updated, and I see the major risks if I do, but I don't know how long I can wait without biting the bullet. If there is no CFW soon, I may just say fuck it and miss out on hacking my system this time around.
Good things come to those who wait. The only reason I see to update is if you play online, or purchase all games digitally.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good things come to those who wait. The only reason I see to update is if you play online, or purchase all games digitally.

I do both lol. And frankly I'm not dying for my Switch to have a CFW, especially if the new virtual console service becomes a Netflix like service with a large selection of classic games to play as you please; as the main reason I want to even hack is to have emulators. I'm not updating yet, but should something really catch my interest or I get a major hankering for some online play, then I may just do it. We'll see.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well of course they are gonna smash the exploits. They need to stop making them known. The noobs will have to wait for homebrew. go and play emulators on wii/ps3/ps4/wii u/gamecube/xbox/3ds. Not like the switch is the only console for homebrew

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well of course they are gonna smash the exploits. They need to stop making them known. The noobs will have to wait for homebrew. go and play emulators on wii/ps3/ps4/wii u/gamecube/xbox/3ds. Not like the switch is the only console for homebrew
But i sell every electronic i own as soon as a new console is announced!!!!!

Reactions: SCOTT0852

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But i sell every electronic i own as soon as a new console is announced!!!!!
lol. there are ones that actually do that. Also they complain about having to switch to different consoles.
"Oh no i have to actully turn on a second console to play that game? bump that ima sell and complain there is on backwards compatibility."

Reactions: froggestspirit

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except they've had exploits patches before being even hinted at publicly. The bugs are often being given to nintendo by outside parties via the hackerone program. Even when they are being kept secret they are being patched.

Seliph

Best Girl ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
CU_QWmoWUAEOsSE.png
So glad I didn't update

Reactions: ry755

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except they've had exploits patches before being even hinted at publicly. The bugs are often being given to nintendo by outside parties via the hackerone program. Even when they are being kept secret they are being patched.

Yep thats true. Thats why the person that finds needs to stop bragging and old on to that exploit for a few years. Dont even tweet you are finding anything.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep thats true. Thats why the person that finds needs to stop bragging and old on to that exploit for a few years. Dont even tweet you are finding anything.
Again even if they do that they are still being patched. Smhax was never publicly mentioned or even hinted at. They didn't even let on that 3.0.0 really had anything until after smhax was patched in 3.0.1. So even when kept totally secret things get patched thanks to the hackerone program

Absintu

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
we are all humans. If u worked hard and found something, u would start having those thoughts: What if someone finds this after me and gets all the credit? I better show some poc...

at least that's what i would do

Reactions: Quantumcat

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
we are all humans. If u worked hard and found something, u would start having those thoughts: What if someone finds this after me and gets all the credit? I better show some poc...

at least that's what i would do

I suppose thats where im different. Ill release it but in the future. And if someone else found it and released it wll thats fine. I dont need others to stroke my E-Penis

Bowl0l

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I do both lol. And frankly I'm not dying for my Switch to have a CFW, especially if the new virtual console service becomes a Netflix like service with a large selection of classic games to play as you please; as the main reason I want to even hack is to have emulators. I'm not updating yet, but should something really catch my interest or I get a major hankering for some online play, then I may just do it. We'll see.
Probably will not happen.
Sony as the market leader did not offer such service. Microsoft just wants market share.
Nintendo just wants to gut you for an extra adapter and cardboard.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Theoretical concepts in the hack distribution world.

- Once a hack is released, it usually can be patched, circumvented or mitigated.
- If the payload is encrypted or obfuscated - there are ways to reverse it, if you have the money and the means.
- If you've found something, and not hint at it publicaly in any way people wont't wait for a release, because they dont know it exists. Thats still a valid approach though, if you are planing for a (fingers crossed) end of life release.
- Bug bounties can be big money for some people (currently around 5-10k USD if I'm informed correctly, so they are nothing to a multinational company) - and are a game theory proven way to make people betray trust even in smaller groups. For this not to happen you have to basically beat game theory (implied codes of conducts that are stronger.. ;) ) - which can be done. :)
- Nintendo patching hacks is obviously in their interest - they are trying to setup an online ecosystem where people might get "one old emulated game as a temporary reward once in a while", an online store with digital distribution as the main means of how transactions should happen in the future according to them, and try to prevent piracy - while they are at it. So dont expect them to play softball. (Plutoos attempt to position himself as a company friendly hacker, that only releases ethical hacks, that dont go fully against corporate interests, wont prevent them from acting in their financial interest, ever.)
- People not being able to handle delayed gratification well, is a known motivational principle in human psychology - and basically why "forced firmware updates" work so well as a deterrent against hacking/actually owning what you bought (thats all the people that are posting out of their own drive, that they "don't know how long they can wait - to play then next "Smash"").
- If you want to establish emunand, you need to decrypt new firmwares, which isnt a given if Nintendo is changing keys and hardening the kernel every time.

- People will go with most easy. Everytime. ;) Sometimes they'd rather go with free, but most times, most easy readily beats even that.

Last edited by notimp,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.