Quote limit

BlueStar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
You have posted more than the allowed number of quoted blocks of text

What exactly is the purpose of this restriction? If you go over the limit, you can paste half of your post into a new reply, and then the posts will be merged. The post generated by this merging function seems to be totally exempt from the quote limit. But you're then left with a post that you can't edit, even if you don't add any more quotes (and even if you take some out) because when you submit the edit, it's over the limit.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I had a feeling this would come up again soon, but I don't know how I knew.
unsure.gif

For one thing, it reduces clutter from quotes everywhere, such as an instance where you could have 5 enormous posts, but with smaller quotes it can be frustrating, yes.

BlueStar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ProtoKun7 said:
I had a feeling this would come up again soon, but I don't know how I knew.
unsure.gif

For one thing, it reduces clutter from quotes everywhere, such as an instance where you could have 5 enormous posts, but with smaller quotes it can be frustrating, yes.

I think the problem occurs when someone makes tl;dr post and you actually want to address each point individually. If you have the scrap the quotes and use quotation marks from half way through, it becomes very confusing to read. If the quote limit is justified, shouldn't it apply to merged posts as well? Can we at least know what the quote limit is, if we have to stick to it?

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The official IPBv3 explanation:
Max. Number Quotes Per Post
Use this to stop multiple quote embedding which can cause some browsers to hang or crash.[/p]

Anyway, the limit is 10 Quotes per post.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know it's normally five, though tj could be right; recently I've noticed some quotes within quotes and a few posts where including those they've added up to more than five.

qlum

Posting when needed
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's 10 quotes max now but really why would you need more than 10 quotes in one post.
Just use numbers or something if you want to reply on more than 10 parts of a quote or you could just use a second post to do so.
ProtoKun7 said:
ProtoKun7 said:
ProtoKun7 said:
ProtoKun7 said:
ProtoKun7 said:
ProtoKun7 said:
ProtoKun7 said:
ProtoKun7 said:
ProtoKun7 said:
ProtoKun7 said:
I know it's normally five, though tj could be right; recently I've noticed some quotes within quotes and a few posts where including those they've added up to more than five.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool