quite literally the dumbest thing i have ever read

weatMod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.ubergizmo.com/2014/03/4chan-user-allegedly-turns-gamestop-into-their-own-private-bank/

"GameStop is a retailer where gamers go to buy their computer games and their consoles and maybe some accessories or peripherals. Basically it would hard to mistake GameStop for anything but a retailer of video games and related products, wouldn’t you agree?

Well it turns out that one anonymous 4chan user has come up an ingenious idea that he/she could turn GameStop into their own personal bank. We can’t verify if what the poster said was real, but the technique does sound plausible although we’re not sure if the folks at GameStop might be too happy with the idea of their company being used as a private bank without their knowledge.

Basically the idea came about when the user claimed that they were annoyed with US banks as they kept overdrafting their account, and had the same thing happen to their credit union accounts as well with a debit card.

So how does the user “bank” in or withdraw their money? Simple. Whenever they get paid, he/she buys a ton of new games at GameStop using their paycheck, and that is how the money is “banked” in. When a withdrawal is needed, all they’d have to is return game titles that they don’t need/want and get their money back.

The user cites how GameStop lines are shorter and just as prevalent as banks in the town he/she lives in, and more convenient too compared to running to the bank. Like we said the idea is ingenious although we’re not sure we would recommend this to anyone. What do you guys think?"

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah but most stores have a 2 week unopened return policy for a full refund

I agree with what your saying, but if he is getting paid every 2 weeks and he is generating over draft fee's... It sounds like he would rarely keep something over 2 weeks.

The problem with this is that, at least to me it seems even less convenient than cashing your check into bills and hiding them. (Or buying a small safe if you have enough money to be worried about.)

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only issue I'd see is that you're basically limited to $60 "withdrawals" and it seems wildly inconvenient. You can't have a debit card for online purchasing, you can't manage multiple accounts, you can't make loans, and a load of other things.

It's ingenious but compared to just using a bank, even a small local bank, I don't see why anyone would use this method.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I disagree with the thread title. Sure, there are some MAJOR flaws in the idea and I don't believe a word of it...but the originality is something I respect. With bank services dropping* and video game stores' return policies being what they are, there could be worse places to park your money. It'll take more effort (as release dates get near, you need to cancel pre-orders and swap it for another one further down the line) but it'll be hard to actually lose money (that is until gamestop goes bankrupt, but that risk isn't that much greater than banks). And if a game is so hyped up that pre-orders can't keep up, it may even be worth it to get the game and ebay it for profit.

Of course all of this is purely theoretical, but it's not that much different than what wall street brokers do all day. Except maybe that gamers know what they're doing. ;)

*I quit my last bank because the account I had for nearly 2 decades decided to charge for features I never wanted nor used, thus netting me a negative interest "for the privilege of being their customer". If all banks around here acted that way, I'd quit using banks as well

weatMod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I disagree with the thread title. Sure, there are some MAJOR flaws in the idea and I don't believe a word of it...but the originality is something I respect. With bank services dropping* and video game stores' return policies being what they are, there could be worse places to park your money. It'll take more effort (as release dates get near, you need to cancel pre-orders and swap it for another one further down the line) but it'll be hard to actually lose money (that is until gamestop goes bankrupt, but that risk isn't that much greater than banks). And if a game is so hyped up that pre-orders can't keep up, it may even be worth it to get the game and ebay it for profit.

Of course all of this is purely theoretical, but it's not that much different than what wall street brokers do all day. Except maybe that gamers know what they're doing. ;)

*I quit my last bank because the account I had for nearly 2 decades decided to charge for features I never wanted nor used, thus netting me a negative interest "for the privilege of being their customer". If all banks around here acted that way, I'd quit using banks as well

yeah i hate the banks too, you dont get any interest, but you could just put the money in your mattress

it's just that the title of the original article was misleading
MFW after reading the article when i found out that this was not some elaborate scheme to get free money and to fuck over gamestop

1384995490142.jpg

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm not sure that there isn't shit they can do about it. If this becomes a trend, you can bet gamestop will introduce cancellation fees at some point (for 'administrative purposes').

Since I'm not American*, I can't figure out if that "gamestops are just as prevalent as banks in my town" is saying something about the services of the banks or of gamestops. If there are more gamestops than banks machines, it would kind of make sense.
...but what does that "getting charged" mean? Does he somehow live in a town that doesn't have ATM machines? :unsure:

*gamestop is USA only, right? :unsure:

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I'm not sure that there isn't shit they can do about it. If this becomes a trend, you can bet gamestop will introduce cancellation fees at some point (for 'administrative purposes').
This.

...but what does that "getting charged" mean? Does he somehow live in a town that doesn't have ATM machines? :unsure:
If you use an ATM by a bank different than your own, you get charged a transaction fee. And often your bank's ATMs are so far away you'd spend more gas getting to it than the fee you pay for just getting money from another bank's machine.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Sure they can do stuff about it - they can ban him from their establishment nation-wide or refuse to accept his return. As far as I know, pre-ordering requires showing proof of identification, be it an ID or a driving license, and on that basis, check his name in the system and identify him as a customer who is abusing store policy.

Gamestop actively bans or flags shady traders and customers. This is a matter of law, sure, but as far as I know, in some American states stores have the right to refuse a return of any kind, be it in the alloted time or not, if so says the store policy. For example, in the state of California, any form of a return is not required unless the merchandise is defective - any return policies more liberal than that are a sign of the store owner's good will.

If he continues to take advantage of their system, the system will simply bite him in the ass. One of those days he might, and I mean "might" end up with 60 pre-orders he doesn't want that he will not be able to cancel because "nope" and there is nothing he can do about that other than either eating plastic and cardboard for a month or selling the games online.

Reactions: Sefi

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I see a potential problem with this. What if the cash register doesn't have enough money when you want to make a "withdrawal"? They only keep so much money on hand. Not to mention it's inconvenient having to bring a whole bag of games with you just to "withdraw" money.
If banks are really such a hassle then why not just keep your money at home?
The idea might work. But why would you want it to? It's stupid.
You must not have read a lot of dumb things, because that wouldn't even be on my list of dumb things I've read.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Not to mention it's inconvenient having to bring a whole bag of games with you just to "withdraw" money.
He doesn't buy games and then return them for money, he makes preorders, and then when he wants to make a "withdrawal" he cancels the preorder and gets his money back. He doesn't actually carry any games around.

Reactions: Foxi4

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
He doesn't buy games and then return them for money, he makes preorders, and then when he wants to make a "withdrawal" he cancels the preorder and gets his money back. He doesn't actually carry any games around.
Did you read the page? It says he buys games and then returns them.
Edit: Oh I see, they misunderstood the original post (which they of course failed to link to, but thanks for providing a copy of it!)

Sure they can do stuff about it - they can ban him from their establishment nation-wide or refuse to accept his return. As far as I know, pre-ordering requires showing proof of identification, be it an ID or a driving license, and on that basis, check his name in the system and identify him as a customer who is abusing store policy.

Gamestop actively bans or flags shady traders and customers. This is a matter of law, sure, but as far as I know, in some American states stores have the right to refuse a return of any kind, be it in the alloted time or not, if so says the store policy. For example, in the state of California, any form of a return is not required unless the merchandise is defective - any return policies more liberal than that are a sign of the store owner's good will.

If he continues to take advantage of their system, the system will simply bite him in the ass. One of those days he might, and I mean "might" end up with 60 pre-orders he doesn't want that he will not be able to cancel because "nope" and there is nothing he can do about that other than either eating plastic and cardboard for a month or selling the games online.
If that happens he can simply resell the games.

xcrimsonstormx

He called me a Nerd, I called him an Ambulance.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with The Real Jdbye on this one why not just keep it at home in a safe or under his/her mattress? What benefit comes from having preorders from gamestop over keeping it in cash at his/her house?

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

They ask for a name and phone number, no ID. ID might only come into play if you lose the receipt, but when I did I just told the dude my name and number and it was fine. You could call yourself anything, as long as you remember it. It's mostly just so they can call you and tell you your pre-order is in (though they only even do that for smaller releases). So he can be Joe Smith one month and Ben Dover the next. No saying the phone number has to be valid either.

Otherwise I agree with what you said.

This entire thing is a joke. I'm not sure why it even warrants a thread when the source is 4chan, a den of retards.
It would likely be a better idea to buy from a retail store which have -extremely- lax return policies for the most part. Customer Service reps don't give a damn, as long as you have a receipt and a brick in the box to add some weight.
Around December I was putting returns away at the store I work at, and came across a lego container taped shut with a taped on product number(UPC). This "UPC" didn't even work, I open it up and there's a $100 compass inside with crumpled paper padding.
Meanwhile I try to return my extra Dark Souls 2 CE and the guy busts my balls because the sticker holding the box shut was slightly lifted because it rubbed against the cardboard box it was shipped in.
Choosing to buy and return videogames is a horrible idea.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1