Quicksolder advice needed

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Dirtie, Apr 20, 2007.

Apr 20, 2007

Quicksolder advice needed by Dirtie at 7:08 AM (991 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Dirtie
    OP

Former Staff Dirtie :'D

New Zealand
    I've got a Cyclowiz here, and I'm in need of a bit of advice.

I'll admit, I'm not a highly skilled solderer (is that a word?), but I was able to tin the contacts on the chip and attach the switch and disable wires (and they do look pretty nice if I do say so myself).

However, I've come to the quicksolder part, and I'm a little stuck (at this time I'll resume it later because it's getting too dark over here now). I attempted it with one of the two big points (chip taped in place of course). Basically I was unable to get it to stick to the contact on the board. I added enough solder so that now there's no hole in the chip, but just a layer of solder (not a big deal, I can remove it if need be). I added a bit of fresh solder to the point on the board, and tried again. The problem is you can't see the contact which is underneath and what's happening to it. So I was able to melt the solder sitting in the hole on the chip, but after taking my iron away it's obvious it still hasn't joined to the solder on the bottom. I'm a bit loathe to leave my soldering iron there longer for fear of damaging something.

Basically, all I'm asking is if there is a technique to quicksoldering I should be aware of? For example, which part should I heat first and where and in what order should the iron and solder be applied?

2. DEF-

Member DEF- GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    The most common problem when you quicksolder is the one you have, solder not sticking to the points on the dvdboard (also common when you install with wires too).

If I where you I'd pretinn the points on the dvdboard before placing the chip there. That way you know that the points have great contact with the solder, so you just have to focus on connecting the solder with the pad on the chip. Haven't really installed with quicksolder before, so I dont know if this is possible, just an idea.

One thing that will help for sure is a flux pen or flux paste. The solder will stick much better to whereever you apply flux. Rosin core solder will also stick better.

I was also scared of applying too much heat, I was probally overreacting. Just keep under two seconds and nothing should go wrong.

3. TheCheekyMonkey

Newcomer TheCheekyMonkey Newbie

United Kingdom
    1 as above, use flux, dont solder without it. apply flux to points, add solder simple.

just apply flux to all your points, and put your iron on it for a second or 2. Make sure your iron has had ample time to get to its proper heat, cold irons kill just as much as a really hot iron will.

dont rely on the flux in the solder alone, use extra flux.

4. bliss-chris

Newcomer bliss-chris Member

Germany
    Using extra flux is for beginners!!! [​IMG] No, honestly, when you put a wee bit of solder the points and you do it quickly, then a little flux will not vaporize or at least the solder stays fluent when it's heated again. It takes a few secs of heating the solder to lose its fluency or surface tension. So, if you don't have extra flux, you ought to be able to manage without. If you're a quick solderer, that is.

5. Takrin

Member Takrin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I would recommend wires, if it must be quicksolder then just make sure you heat up both contact points. often people have problems with quicksolders because the solder isnt melted on the bottom pad, basicly you melt everything and fuse it into 1 blob but if only one is heated it can form a blob that hovers on top of the acual pad needed for contact

if your not having any luck heating up everything then press on the chip slightly while melting the solder on the chips pads, and hope that heat transfers to the bottom pad and fuses everything good idea also give the point a rest if failed to solder it, let it cool for about 30sec or blow on it before attempting again so the temp dont rise to a point where the pads get lifted

also a good idea to clean the wii contacts with a pencil eraser, alcohol/acetone, could also scratch it up lightly with steel wool, or a crafting knife.

6. shtonkalot

Member shtonkalot Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!

Australia
    As deff said I would tin the points on the board first. They may have blobs of solder on them but it's different solder than what you are using. Clean the points on the board first (I use a pen eraser) and then if you have any dab a little flux on the points. Then tin your iron and add a little extra solder to it which you'll then apply to the points on the board.
    This should make it much easier for the solder to connect to the points on the chip. Oh yeah tin the chip points first too!
    Tin everything, a little extra flux is a help, and as you said don't apply heat for too long and you should be fine.

IMHO quicksolder sucks though. I would go get some kynar wire and do it that way.

Good luck.

7. Louse76

Member Louse76 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Best tip you can ever be given for quicksolder: Don't do it.

Go with the wires. Sounds like you're already good with them since you installed the switch, etc.

Good luck either way!

8. Dirtie
    OP

New Zealand
    The reason I'm using quicksolder is because this is for a review, and as quicksolder is stated as one of the features (it's supposed to be easier - I also think using wires would be to be honest), I thought I had better try it out.

Anyway, like I said, I had already tinned the contacts on both the chip and the board, so I've got that part covered.

Otherwise, thanks a lot for the advice. I don't think I've got any flux lying around (other than what's in the solder obviously), but I'll have a look anyway.
    I'll get rid of all that solder sitting in the hole on the chip and try again [​IMG] *rummages around for solder sucker*

9. darrrren

Newcomer darrrren Member

United Kingdom
    its the first time iv soldered any chip but all i did was. clean and tin the all contacts. then cut and strip 6 50 mm lenths of kynar wire ,applied small blobs of solder to one end of each wire. then just solder them verticaly to the contacts on the board ,then carefully snip them off at about 0.5-1mm longer than the thickness of the chip. then put the chip with pre tined contacts into position. and finally a small blob of solder against each wire.

10. Dirtie
    OP

New Zealand
    My quicksolder job was succesful (other things not so much so, but I won't delve into that), thanks a lot.