Hacking Quick questions

rich0523

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok well ive soldered before but maybe 6 years ago or so. I want to get a few things straight I know it is said to not apply the iron to the solder but rather to the joint and to let the solder melt that way but I've watched a few videos and the person almost always touches the solder wtih the iron. I tried doing it without touching the iron and I couldn't get the solder to melt. This was on a pcb board not the Wii. I know im not supposed to hold it for very long so i try to hold it for a second or two and then go back on trying to heat it and I have no success. Im using a 15w Radio Shack iron and I let it heat up for a while before I tried melting anything. I did tin the tip etc. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong.

rich0523

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok well i played aroudn with it for a few hours and I really cant get it to melt unless I touch the tip to the solder and even then it melts a little slow it isn't instant. Any chance somethings wrong with the iron because I think its supposed to melt as soon as it touches the iron.

KKajun

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Tin the iron (even a little bead on the tip should be fine, and wipe it with a wet sponge after each point), tin the wire. If the solder isn't sticking to the point try a little bit of paste flux on the point you're going to solder to.

rich0523

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well i tried tinning the wire without touching the iron to the solder after i tinned the iron but it wouldnt melt on the wire so your saying to just drip it onto the wire then quickly touch it to the board and let it cool? and that made a tight enough joint for you that isnt giving you any problems

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.