Quick Question

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Gingy, Jul 25, 2008.

Jul 25, 2008

Quick Question by Gingy at 5:25 AM (1,010 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. Gingy
    OP

Newcomer Gingy Advanced Member

United States
    Hey, my friend has the Wii and has put multiple .wads on there, but now he wants to uninstall them with the Title Uninstaller. Does he need the Homebrew Channel to use it or can he just use the Twilight hack?

Thanks in advance.

2. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Just using the Twilight Hack will suffice. Make sure you make the uninstaller ELF "boot.elf" in the root of the SD card or USB device.

3. priapism

Member priapism GBAtemp Fan

United States
    he should be able to us the Twilight Hack.

you know how you have to put a boot.elf in the root of your SD card when you run the Twilight Hack? make that boot.elf the one for the WAD Uninstaller. i am assuming he knows how to do this since he probably used the WAD Installer the same way.

he should have a folder called "WADs" on the root of his SD card. if you run the WAD Installer, the program installs all of the WADs in the "WADs" folder. if you run the WAD Uninstaller, the program uninstalls all of the WADs in the "WADs" folder.

4. Gingy
    OP

United States
    Er...okay, I'll let him know. It all sounds pretty confusing from my point of view.

And then, I have my own question.

What is bricking a Wii, and how do you do it?

5. Christen

Member Christen GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Bricking the Wii is basically rendering the Wii useless, basically making it as useful as a brick.

An example would be unplugging the power while it is updating and writing to the memory, that would brick it. People are currently working on anti-brick software though.

6. Gingy
    OP

United States
    Are there other ways to brick it, or is that the only way?

7. priapism

Member priapism GBAtemp Fan

United States
    if he installed the WADs using the WAD Installer then it shouldn't be confusing to him at all.

Bricking a Wii is BAD. it basically means that you make it not work anymore. there are several ways to do this but i don't want to get into them all right now. just do some research before you do anything drastic to your Wii.

8. Gingy
    OP

United States
    Well, I don't want to do anything hacking related to my Wii. Too dangerous for my tastes.

9. Christen

Member Christen GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Installing a custom WAD that has an improper banner can somewhat brick your Wii, although there are work-arounds to fix it, those are the only two I can think of.

10. Gingy
    OP

United States
    By banner, do you mean the picture the channel displays? How does one know if they have downloaded a wad with a bad banner?

11. g4jek8j54

Member g4jek8j54 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Yes, if you install a bad banner, I believe you get a constant black screen after the Warning screen. If the Wii is not modified with a drive chip, there is currently no way of fixing this. I don't think that there is really a way of telling whether or not you have a bad WAD, other than by finding the opinion of other users who have downloaded it, if possible.

Another way to get a semi or full brick would be by installing an out of region update. Again, you can fix the semi brick, but not the full brick.

12. Gingy
    OP

United States
    Well, he ended up using the title uninstaller, and put all the wad files he didn't want anymore into the wad folder. He deleted them all, but when he went back to the Wii channel, he had lost all his channels, not just the ones he wanted to get rid of.

What happened?