Quick question

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Melchizedek, Aug 8, 2010.

Aug 8, 2010

Quick question by Melchizedek at 9:15 PM (682 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. Melchizedek
    OP

Member Melchizedek GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I know quite a bit about Wii modding, but very little about XBOX flashing. If I were to buy a new XBOX Arcade (regular edition), I would most likely have a LiteOn 9xxxx drive, right? Then, the simplest way to flash it would be by using the CK3 Blaster kit, right? Would this kit work if my drive was by any chance not a LiteOn? Is there any simpler way to flash a newer LiteOn drive without the use of solder?

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    A modern arcade will most likely be a 9 series liteon as you say- you can poke through the hole to see the date and you might get yourself a 8v1 or even 7 series. We first saw the 8v2 and 9 series liteon drives in late October 2009 (although retail might be a bit later).
    The only solder "free" methods use conductive ink instead which I dislike even more than soldering traces (it is easier but to fix it when it goes wrong is a nightmare and I never hold out much hope for a long term join).

A CK3 Blaster kit is overkill and will probably not do much for you (you might be able to butcher something together but for the money you will be paying you might as well get it right first time around), a CK3 Pro will do the trick. You can do the cut trace method on all liteon drives but a kit for a 7 series and indeed just the need to power an 8v1 liteon will run you far less.

It does not apply here (you will need a 360 from mid June 2009 or older) but if you JTAG hack it then you can get drive keys as part of that.

3. Melchizedek
    OP

Member Melchizedek GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I first thought that the CK3 Blaster kit did the trick even with the latest Liteon drives, but it does seem that it only allows further firmware upgrade without opening the case, and that I must first solder the LT Switch to extract the DVD drive key.

Ah man, then I guess I won't buy a XBox after all : I don't know anything about soldering, or even cutting the board with an Xacto. I wanted an easy solution, but I guess it doesn't exist with the newer firmwares...