Homebrew Quick Question: Is the 3DS graphics card faster than the 3DS CPU?

delete12345

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been to www.3dbrew.org to see if there are articles about GPU clock rate and CPU clock rate. Boy, is the interface hard to navigate...

In the end, I can't quickly find where it mentions GPU and CPU comparisons with how fast it can calculate heavy tasks.

This is for me to figure out if it's a good idea to do matrix calculations in the vertex shader for the GPU, or do it in the CPU, then pass in the results to the vertex shader.

Just a quickie. Thanks.

ShawnBurress

HI i'm Shawn, i love "Loither Squad."
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do a quick google search of "3DS CPU vs 3DS Graphics card" or "3DS CPU and Graphics card specs" and figure it out from there

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
In general, GPUs are always faster than CPUs for graphics, because they have been optimized for them, while CPUs are more for general use. Similarly, CPUs can do graphics, but will be slower than GPUs.

delete12345

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can't find it, couldn't you always test it for yourself and find out?
I wished I can do that, but I don't have the knowledge to do so.
In general, GPUs are always faster than CPUs for graphics, because they have been optimized for them, while CPUs are more for general use. Similarly, CPUs can do graphics, but will be slower than GPUs.
Ok I guess. Not sure if applying the general case to Nintendo 3DS is the same, but I'll buy it.

TheCruel

Developer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd be surprised if matrix operations were faster on CPU considering shader instruction set includes vector operations used in matrix math.

Though usually you only have need of using matrix operations once per entity (and setting it to shader uniform). If you need to generate matrices for every vertex, using shader would be best. But that's unusual.

Last edited by TheCruel,

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They're also good at brute-forcing passwords and crypto keys - or so I heard.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lDRjqI-fBVI&pp=ygUPVml0Z2luIG1hZ2ljaWFu