Hardware Quick Question about Wii Key 2 / Mod Chips in General

IOwnAndPwnU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Right now, I have a Wii mod chipped with the Wii Key 2 and firmware 3.3U. No softmod (as of now).

Is there any risk in updating my Wii through official Nintendo updates (for example: through Wi-Fi, through Punch-Out)? Because I'm not sure if there is a risk with updating Wiis that are hardmodded. And just wanted to confirm.

1. So, if there is no risk in updating with only a mod chip installed: I could play any official Nintendo game (a backup) and update if I need to (through Nintendo disks or online), without any risks, bricking and still being able to play games.

2. So, if there is a risk in updating with a mod chip installed: I should probably soft mod it for the HomeBrew Channel so I do not have to update through Nintendo for the specific files. I could install the files (IOS's?? :S ) manually through HBC for the specific games I want to play. Along with other benefits such as WiiWare games and Virtual Console games - although, I risk a brick, right?

P.S. Anyone know specifically what update Punch-Out has?
tongue.gif

Thanks,
IOAPU

ozguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a WiiKey 2 installed as well as a USB Loader since I would rather not have to swap disks.

Older mod-chips could be detected. Newer mod-chips supposedly cannot be detected.

Best suggestion is to not use any official update. Wait for patched updates to become available.
The patched updates simply put back the bugs that are 'fixed' in the official updates.

ozguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Usually Waninkoko comes out with the patched update.
Do a google search for Waninkoko and you will find his blog (it is in spanish but you can use google's translate option).
Often you will see a post about it listed in the Hacking forum right here though before it is listed on the blog.

IOwnAndPwnU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm having some trouble in figuring out how to use this.
Would I need to install the HBC in order to apply Waninkoko's patches?
Or could I just do it with a mod chip?

ozguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is possible to install HBC through CD since you have a modchip. I have never done it that way though. I used the twilight hack to install it.

Now of course we have the Banner Bomb exploit, though to use that you need 4.0 already installed.

From what I have read, we now have the ability to downgrade to earlier system menus from 4.0 ayway. So if you are wanting to stay with an earlier version you can still do so. You won't have the new SD menu capabilities though unless you use 4.0. I have never really seen any reason to stay on an earlier version though.

Some people prefer to use homebrew apps to manage their SD card content and move files to/from the NAND memory, etc.
If you have not even installed HBC yet then I assume you probably want to keep things simple and would rather use the SD menu in V4.0.

So having said that, the easiest thing to do is do a normal V4.0 update through Nintendo, then use the Banner Bomb hack to install HBC.

IOwnAndPwnU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the info.

Although ... we kinda got sidetracked.

Does updating your Wii through official Nintendo updates affect your modded Wii with Wii Key 2?

ozguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. Using the V4.0 Nintendo update will have no effect on the WiiKey 2.

Supposedly it is completely undetectable, so any future updates should also be perfectly safe.

ozguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ya, once you do the Banner Bomb (or twilight) hack you can install the HBC and start enjoying the great homebrew stuff available.

IOwnAndPwnU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yep, I've done the HBC. (look in my sig)

Now, today, hopefully I'll get some homebrew.
By the way, how would you arrange the files in a formatted SD card? Because it's a bit confusing.

ozguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One of the first homebrew programs you will want to get is the Homebrew Browser.
The HBB gives you a graphical interface for downloading, extracting, and updating your homebrew programs directly from the wii.
Most HB programs are listed in HBB except hacking related items such as cIOS updates.

Programs get put in the apps folder
Wads go in the wads folder

Those are the 2 standard folders. Any additional folders are generally created by the HB programs when you run them.

IOwnAndPwnU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, I think I just figured it out (because I was impatient...a bit).
The folders on my SD card are "apps", "private", and "wad". I put the Wad Manager (boot.dol) in a folder in the apps folder. Then I put my wads in the wads folder. Then, my Wii created this "private" folder. I'm guessing all channels and saves I transfer to SD card go here. And all the programs you launch from HBC go in the apps folder with their own folder, and each one has a "boot.dol" file.

And, I was looking at the Homebrew Browser already, just to lazy to install it. But I will, next time in the HBC.

So, with the 4.0 update, I can play all WiiWare/VirtualConsole games through my SD? Because first, I installed it from Wad Manager, then I moved from my system memory (channels) to my SD card. Then I went to the SD Channel and selected the wad (in this case, Defend Your Castle), and it played after launching. And I checked the Wii system memory and it was not in there. I guess the Wii System memory, at this point, is just good for save files.

ozguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually when you launch a game from the SD card, the Wii temporarily copies the file to the Wii NAND and runs it from there (that is what is happening when you see that new 'launching' screen.
Once you exit the program, it deletes it from the NAND again.

If you do not have enough free NAND blocks available, you will get a message that you need to free up some blocks by moving other stuff to the SD card.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey