quick question about something

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by okielokie, Mar 23, 2008.

Mar 23, 2008
  1. okielokie
    OP

Newcomer okielokie Member

United States
    okay so i searched google and the site but didnt find anything. i'm completely new to the DS stuff. is there a way to download games and put it into the DS to play ? like a psp where you can download and put it onto the memory card. am i able to do it without the R4 card / anything like that?

2. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    *Facepalms* [​IMG]

Look...for... DS ROMS! And NO you need a flashkit.

3. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    Firstly, before you ask if "Can I have some sites for Roms, then?", don'tsay it. It's not allowed, and it's against our rules, even if you PM someone to link it.

Also, no, you can't play games with a Memory stick, ETC, because none of the SD cards would fit into the DS.

Thirdly, R4s are outdated, and no longer something to buy. Beware of that when your buying one.

4. aeSentinel

Newcomer aeSentinel Member

Australia
    You can use WiFiMe, but you'll be restricted to the Nintendo DS' RAM, and it can be a pain in the ass to get WiFiMe going anyway. Your only real option is a flash card (not the R4; it's past its prime), which aren't really expensive anyway. You can get one for $50 without a transflash card.

5. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    In Canada, you can buy one for less than that. I bought my Supercard DS1 SDHC for 35 bucks, and it's been working fine for about a week or so. (I got it just a week ago.)

6. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    You're confusing the protocol with the application. WMB is the protocol and stands for Wireless Multiboot. It's the process of sending a DS binary to a DS via Download Play. Wifime is simply an exploit sent over WMB to boot something that is in slot-2. Wifime works only on old DS Phats with firmware 3 or below, while WMB should work on newer DS systems as well, though you can only send officially signed demos unless you have FlashMe installed. FlashMe installation requires some form of homebrew equipment in the first place, so you're not gaining anything.

In short, yes you have to buy stuff to get any unofficial code running on the DS at all.

7. Try2bcool

Member Try2bcool GBAtemp Fan

United States

My R4 runs everything I've thrown at it with no patching, how is that outdated?

8. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    No RTS, SDHC, Ingame menu, real multi-language, etc.

9. Try2bcool

United States
    It won't play Real-Time-Strategy games?

Honestly, do you need all those things? I mean, the games play, do I need extraneous feature fodder?

10. DarkUli

Member DarkUli GBAtemp Regular

Portugal
    I hope you're being sarcastic, but he meant Real-Time-Saving.

About what you said, it's entirely true, my friend still uses an M3 Perfect (I think that's it, gotta ask him again sometime) and he still plays all the NDS game he's thrown at. It just doesn't have any fancy features.

SDHC, that I understand, more space allows for more things.
    Real-Time languages?..What?.. *Facepalm* Like that matters (To me anyways).
    In-game menu? What would that be for?

Other then that, I'm a bit ignorant on the newer cards newer features.. Must search enlightenment soon [​IMG]

11. Try2bcool

United States
    Well, it was only partially sarcasm, I don't know what real time saving is, I just know I don't need any other features until this R4 breaks, then I'll be researching like a mofo. [​IMG]

I would agree that if I didn't already have a flash-cart, I probably wouldn't buy an R4 as my first one at this point in the development of them.

12. bananaweed

Newcomer bananaweed Member

Canada
    Save states.

13. Kaos

Member Kaos Good show!

Australia
    Changing brightness in-game, activating/deactivating slow motion, loading/saving Real Time Saves, soft-resetting back to the CycloDS.

All of the CycloDS's ingame features in one easy to access menu. AFAIK it's the only flashcart that has it.

14. aeSentinel

Newcomer aeSentinel Member

Australia
    Ah, thanks for the correction. I should learn to keep my mouth shut about things I don't know about. [​IMG]

15. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Don't worry, it took me forever to figure out the distinction myself, especially considering the fact that nobody uses Wifime anymore (though WMB is still occasionally used by developers for quickly testing code on real hardware).

If it helps to understand, Wifime is nothing more than a virtual PassMe (NoPass). It boots slot-2 in DS mode, that's it. You still need a homebrew device in slot-2 for it to do anything useful.

16. okielokie
    OP

United States
    dont worry i wont ask where i can get roms. allready read the rules before i posted. but im like on a low budget and i want something easy to use. im just wondering if i can just use the "passcard 3" to boot roms and homebrew. will i need anything else besides the passcard to play roms and homebrew ? ive read on this one forum. it said something about G6 or M3. when i saw the passcard items online it says that it's "M3 PassCard" isnt it the same thing ? passcard 3 and m3. and what about supercard ? is that the same as passcard 3. will i have to use some adapter? i just want a simple cheap card thing like R4 where i can just stick the minisd into the thing and play.

17. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Acekard 2, Edge, or DSTT will do what you want.

-Bri

18. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    You've probably heard about Slot-2 M3 and G6. Passcards go in the DS, otherwise the SLot-2 won't run. But almost all of Slot-2 nowadays suck, and isn't worth buying. you don't need passcard.

As Bri said, get something like EDGE, Acekard 2, or DSTT. None of them need anything else to play, other than a micro sd (Not a mini sd.), and you don't need to have a passcard or anything. Just put the Micro sd in the one you buy, and just play. It's that simple.

19. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Well, you might want to actually put something on the microSD first, like the firmware for whichever cart you have and some .nds files.

-Bri

20. okielokie
    OP

United States
    okay. thanks Bri and ojsinnerz for quick reply.

and also wont this http://www.realhotstuff.com/supercard-lite...rkey-p-137.html be a good sub for EDGE, DSTT, and those others you both mentioned ? i dont really care much for GBA. just booting roms from ds,browser, and the ipod thing is good enough.

and will it work with most games ? such as pokemon diamond and pearl or mario kart