NinjaGaijin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello there,

I've been reading all over GBATemp and the net in general about managing save files on the 3 in 1 and haven't been able to really find anything.

I am curious, if I want to switch games I have loaded into either PSRam or NOR on my 3 in 1 and want to load the appropriate save file for that game, how do I go about doing so?

I have been able to load a game, save the game, and then go back into the game and load my save just fine. I am wondering how to back up a copy of that save file, then load another game, be able to save that, and then at some point load the original game and save file and continue with that.

I am hoping this makes sense. I just want Game A and Save A to be able to be replaced with Game B and Save B, and then switch back and forth.

I am using Rudolph's 3 in 1 expansion tool for loading them up... Do I use the backup save option there? Then how do i restore it when another game's save has overwritten the 3 in 1 card?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer!

NG

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have been able to load a game, save the game, and then go back into the game and load my save just fine. I am wondering how to back up a copy of that save file, then load another game, be able to save that, and then at some point load the original game and save file and continue with that.Â
The saves should be managed automatically. Whenever you load a game into PSRAM, the old save is backed up, and the save for the current game is loaded (or the save file is created if it doesn't already exist). Same with NOR; when you write a different game to NOR the old save is backed up and the save for the current game is loaded.

Saves for the game in NOR and the last game run from PSRAM are stored in different parts of the save memory, and they are not synchronized. If you play a game from PSRAM, then you want to write it to NOR, you will need to back up the save manually (or run a different game from PSRAM). You should not run a game from PSRAM if it's already written to NOR. If you aren't careful about this you could have the most recent save file for a game overwitten by older data.

If you're having problems with saves not being backed up, or if the PSRAM and NOR games are deleting each other's saves, make sure you patch games with GBATA instead of the EZ4 Client. The EZ4 Client causes games run from PSRAM to put their saves in the part of the save memory that the NOR games use for their saves. This overwrites the save for the NOR game, and it also means that the save for the PSRAM game isn't in the part of the save memory that is written to its save file.

Games that have gone through the EZ4 Client (even if they haven't been save patched) can only safely be run from NOR.

NinjaGaijin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you so much for your reply!

So it sounds like I want to avoid using the EZ Client altogether and just patch with GBATA right? I will definitely have to try this!

Thank you so much
T

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16