Quick Question about 3 in 1 Save Files

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by NinjaGaijin, Nov 1, 2007.

Nov 1, 2007
  1. NinjaGaijin
    OP

Newcomer NinjaGaijin Member

United States
    Hello there,

I've been reading all over GBATemp and the net in general about managing save files on the 3 in 1 and haven't been able to really find anything.

I am curious, if I want to switch games I have loaded into either PSRam or NOR on my 3 in 1 and want to load the appropriate save file for that game, how do I go about doing so?

I have been able to load a game, save the game, and then go back into the game and load my save just fine. I am wondering how to back up a copy of that save file, then load another game, be able to save that, and then at some point load the original game and save file and continue with that.

I am hoping this makes sense. I just want Game A and Save A to be able to be replaced with Game B and Save B, and then switch back and forth.

I am using Rudolph's 3 in 1 expansion tool for loading them up... Do I use the backup save option there? Then how do i restore it when another game's save has overwritten the 3 in 1 card?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer!

NG

2. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    The saves should be managed automatically. Whenever you load a game into PSRAM, the old save is backed up, and the save for the current game is loaded (or the save file is created if it doesn't already exist). Same with NOR; when you write a different game to NOR the old save is backed up and the save for the current game is loaded.

Saves for the game in NOR and the last game run from PSRAM are stored in different parts of the save memory, and they are not synchronized. If you play a game from PSRAM, then you want to write it to NOR, you will need to back up the save manually (or run a different game from PSRAM). You should not run a game from PSRAM if it's already written to NOR. If you aren't careful about this you could have the most recent save file for a game overwitten by older data.

If you're having problems with saves not being backed up, or if the PSRAM and NOR games are deleting each other's saves, make sure you patch games with GBATA instead of the EZ4 Client. The EZ4 Client causes games run from PSRAM to put their saves in the part of the save memory that the NOR games use for their saves. This overwrites the save for the NOR game, and it also means that the save for the PSRAM game isn't in the part of the save memory that is written to its save file.

Games that have gone through the EZ4 Client (even if they haven't been save patched) can only safely be run from NOR.

3. NinjaGaijin
    OP

Newcomer NinjaGaijin Member

United States
    Thank you so much for your reply!

So it sounds like I want to avoid using the EZ Client altogether and just patch with GBATA right? I will definitely have to try this!

Thank you so much
    T