Quick hacking info/help

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Oshae93, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Oshae93
    OP

Oshae93 Laying Down The Law

Jun 14, 2013
    United States
    1st off yea you can call me lazy for not searching for this, but im tired from college so i get a pass lol.

(optional read)
    I bought a 360 about 2 years ago and the shit is like mnt condition. I barely play and the only person that does play it is my little sister for minecraft/skyrim. I hacked everything else i own besides ps3 so i thought what the hell why not this.

(Main thing to read)
    I wanted to know if i hacked my xbox 360 slim can i manually apply updates to games. My sister likes playing minecraft and they have a new update ever so often. Skin packs and other stuff. Or does my system have to have a xbox live connection to download the updates.

P.s idgaf about xbox live i dont pay for that. Im ok with not being able to get live again, but need to know if i can update/patch games. Also can i download free dlc from sites or am i just screwed on dlc?

2. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    I'm tired from waking up early so I get a pass from answering your question. Funny how that works both ways.

What kind of hack do you want?

3. Oshae93
    OP

Jun 14, 2013
    United States
    ok i wasnt trying to be a dick

And im new to hacking a 360 but looks like ill have to flash my disc drive. I was looking around on other sites and here and it seems i dont think i can do what i want to. I want to be able to flash the drive and play backups from the internal or an external harddrive w/o getting an xkey

4. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    If you want to play backups from a hard drive, you need an xk3y or an RGH/rJTAG - DinohScene knows tons on that subject. Going that route, you'll never be able to access XBL again, but, provided you can find the stuff, you can get all of your games and DLC for free, as well as homebrew and probably a whole bunch of other stuff I don't even know about (I don't have a console modded like this yet). RGH/rJTAG requires (fairly) expensive equipment, and the ability to solder. If you're not comfortable doing so, you might need to ship it off to someone to have it installed.

Your other option would be a drive flash, which requires luck (a compatible SATA chipset on your computer) or more expensive stuff (like the x360USB Pro v2). After that, you need an iHAS x24 rev B drive, or one with another compatible chipset, and Verbatim DL DVD-R disks manufactured in Singapore (yes, specifically Singapore, these ones tend to be the highest quality ones). For this, you need to keep burning any games you want to play, you keep XBL access (as long as you patch your games with ABGX, don't truncate your burns, use good media, and don't play games before they're released), however, you don't get free DLC (unless it was released on a disk), but you can keep updating stuff. I have a few consoles modded this way.

If you don't want to burn disks, then you follow up to the point of having a compatible SATA chipset or getting the x360USB Pro v2, at which point you dump your drive keys and get something like the xk3y or the x360dock and an external hard drive. You get the same functionality as a burned drives, but without the hassle of burning all of your games. I don't have an consoles modded this way yet, but once I run out of Verbatim DVDs I plan to buy an xk3y.

Edit - on an RGH/rJTAG I don't know if you can manually get title updates or not. I'd assume yes, however, one way or another.

5. Oshae93
    OP

Jun 14, 2013
    United States
    damn seems like an xkey is the best route. guess ill save up some change for one. thx for the help

6. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    If you don't have a compatible SATA chipset to dump your drive (it's kinda just trial and error to see if it works), myself and a few others here have the ability to dump keys (and flash, etc), so if you need it done but don't feel like dropping the money for an x360USB Pro/Pro v2 (considering you'd probably only use it once, the v2 runs about $75, I think the v1 was ~$60 last I looked), it'll probably be cheaper to ship the drive to someone and have them send it back with your keys dumped to a CD or something.

7. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I'm tired of writing a guide that makes it easier for people to choose what they want by writing somewhat detailed things on what the different hacks are.
    I'm also tired of people not reading stickies >_>

Flashing the drive only allows for DVD based backups.
    You'll need an Xkey if you want to launch backups from an external drive.
    Internal drive is hardware hacking only, which will void your XBL access forever.
    I'd send the drive to someone to get the DVD keys dumped.
    Iirc Devin still does that.
    Then you can install the Xkey yourself (just follow this guide)

FSD3 now has an update that allows you to download multiple TU's at once for a title.
    You'll still have to manually download them on the 360 but you'll no longer need to transfer them via USB from your PC ;p