Hacking Quick guide/PSA it *is* possible to update to any firmware

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
With specific tools it's possible to update to any firmware. I've read on here numerous times you can't update to 9.2 (for example) because there is no cartridges with that update and the online updater will give you (at the time of writing) the 9.5 update. There is however one other method of updating to a desired firmware version.

Upon joining a local multiplayer / download play session you may be prompted to update your system. The host 3DS acts as a server and delivers the firmware it is running.

For example, I have an emunand 9.2 on system A. System A creates a local mario kart 7 lobby from launching the game via a mk7 .cia installed in emunand. System B joins the lobby and is prompted to update. System A will now send core files for the 9.2 update to system B without either requiring a valid internet access point.

Note this does not occur if loading a game from a .3ds rom or retail cartridge (unless that firmware version is required to play that particular game)

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With specific tools it's possible to update to any firmware. I've read on here numerous times you can't update to 9.2 (for example) because there is no cartridges with that update and the online updater will give you (at the time of writing) the 9.5 update. There is however one other method of updating to a desired firmware version.

Upon joining a local multiplayer / download play session you may be prompted to update your system. The host 3DS acts as a server and delivers the firmware it is running.

For example, I have an emunand 9.2 on system A. System A creates a local mario kart 7 lobby from launching the game via a mk7 .cia installed in emunand. System B joins the lobby and is prompted to update. System A will now send core files for the 9.2 update to system B without either requiring a valid internet access point.

Note this does not occur if loading a game from a .3ds rom or retail cartridge (unless that firmware version is required to play that particular game)

You have performed this upgrade yourself?

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Once the New 3DS (XL/LL) NAND pinouts are discovered, could someone with a NAND mod try this to see what exactly gets updated? It'd be interesting to know if this works in the following situation:

1. You have a New 3DS (LL) with 8.1.0-0 firmware (no browser basically..)
2. You have an old 3DS with an emunand on 9.2
3. You use Download Play to pass 9.2 to the New 3DS and then hopefully update it successfully.

This is just speculation on my part, but: this combined with a region changed emuNAND might let those of us with out of region New 3DSes that are trapped on 8.1.0 update to 9.2 with a browser, assuming that Download Play updates more than just the core files.

phanteon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
didnt know that could happen in local download matches.
Is it safe to update emunand that way or could it brick the updated system?

bache

Trophies
XP
Country
This is really interesting. Luckily, I sold my 9.2 3DS to a friend when I got my 9.0.0 N3DS, so next time I see him, I'll be sure to try it.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
If it's just the core, that would create one hell of a Frankenfirmware in many cases... 9.2.0 with 4.5.0 of most of everything else?

yes, it's the same that happens if you only update by cart. updating by wifi gives you the full fw

Thomas12345

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

But how do you get 9.2 on system A in the first place? Would you need a friend who already has 9.2?

Myria

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What happens if an Old 3DS attempts to serve a game to a New 3DS of an older firmware version?

Helper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once the New 3DS (XL/LL) NAND pinouts are discovered, could someone with a NAND mod try this to see what exactly gets updated? It'd be interesting to know if this works in the following situation:
a
1. You have a New 3DS (LL) with 8.1.0-0 firmware (no browser basically..)
2. You have an old 3DS with an emunand on 9.2
3. You use Download Play to pass 9.2 to the New 3DS and then hopefully update it successfully.

This is just speculation on my part, but: this combined with a region changed emuNAND might let those of us with out of region New 3DSes that are trapped on 8.1.0 update to 9.2 with a browser, assuming that Download Play updates more than just the core files.
Just the ability to dump NAND wouldn't be enough to examine the differences (or anything, really). NAND is encrypted with a console-unique key. The Old 3DS had code execution so you could generate a XORpad to decrypt the NAND image. But the New 3DS does not (yet) have (public) arbitrary code execution (apart from ninjhax which, as I understand it, doesn't provide access to the AES engine), so you can't decrypt a New 3DS NAND image.

EDIT: On a mostly unrelated note, I am so desperate for a N3DS LL NAND pinout. Soon...

EDIT2: Tangentially related to the topic: in my attempt, a JPN 9.1 N3DS could not download a DL Play game from a JPN-region copy of Tetris running on a USA 9.2 O3DS. On the JPN 3DS, the DL Play screen didn't even respond; nothing appeared in the menu. Just... nothing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse