Quick electronics question

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by notnarb, Jul 11, 2008.

Jul 11, 2008

Quick electronics question by notnarb at 6:34 AM (740 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. notnarb
    OP

Member notnarb Not narbing it up

I stole the cpu fan (among other things) from an old ('91) computer before I sent it to an electronics recycling center a while back and just now found the fan again and, being bored, decided to see if I could make it run off of a battery. It had two wires, one red, one black making it pretty obvious what they were for so I cut off the ends of both, cut the insulation a little farther and applied both ends to an AA battery and much to my dismay, nothing happened. Based on my basic knowledge of electronics, I know that battery + DC motor = working, but the fan isn't giving the slightest hint of wanting to move (with the battery attached, not when I push it with finger). Any explanation would be nice, the fan is rated as 12V, 1.4W and AA batteries (LR6 to you Euros) are raated at 1.5V. Checking to see if 8 connected batteries will work now (8 x 1.5 = 12)

2. gizmo_gal

Member gizmo_gal QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!

United States
    I didn't read all of that, but are you sure that the batteries are powerful enough to run the fan?

Older PC parts weren't always very, how shall I say this--good at working without consuming copious amounts of energy?

Thats not 100% accurate, of course but I say try a bigger, better battery.

3. Maktub

Member Maktub GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Spain
    Or wet it, put it into a plug in your house with NO gloves or else your body will be terrible at conducting electricity.

Of course, that was a joke.

Now seriously, it should work as the power a cpu uses is DC (I think you call it that way in English, as opposed to AC). That's the kind of energy a battery provides so it's either: the battery's not powerful enough or the fan is broken.

4. Cheater388

Newcomer Cheater388 Advanced Member

United States
    I want to see whether several batteries work out. Post soon!

Remember that:
    you increase the Amperes by connecting batteries in parralell and,
    you increase the Voltage by connecting batteries in series.

5. notnarb
    OP

Member notnarb Not narbing it up

I put 8 in series to no avail, tempted to try a car battery (or car battery charger)