Hacking Quick DSi XL Flashcart Question

dippindivin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've read all of the stickies on this specific topic and all of them were updated almost 6 months ago if not older. So I wanted to check with the forum to make sure this question is 100% up-to-date and modern.

My sister has a DSi XL and she plays on it every single day. She is gone for the next week and I want to get a Flashcart for her. I have to assume that she is on the latest firmware version for the DSi XL. Do you guys know what the latest Firmware version is on the DSi XL?

What is the best (most compatible with DS games and also the most stable) Flashcart for this latest firmware version? I'm not worried about the price so much, just as long as it's stable and plays a lot of games.

Thanks forum!

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The latest dsi/dsi XL firmware is 1.4.3 (1.4.4 for Chinese dsi's). The acekard 2i and the SuperCard DSTwo both have great compatibility to games and have firmware updates that circumvent the block on dsi/3ds. But first, you'll have to get the updater for whichever flashcart you buy and update the boot-strap. For acekard 2i, you'll need a system that the ak2i will already work on (preferably a ds phat or lite, but can be a dsi/3ds if the acekard can run on it). The SuperCard DSTwo has a way to update on a 3ds (I don't know if it works on the dsi as well) even if it's already blocked (Tutorial here).

The DSTwo is much pricier than the acekard 2i, but DSTwo has some additional features (such as Real Time Save/Guide, built-in cpu for GBA emulator and special homebrews, a media player, etc)

All in all, having a ds phat or lite would be much safer if you want to update.

dippindivin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a DS lite that I own myself. So would you recommend that I get the acekard 2i and prep the card on mine. Then put it on her DSi XL and she should be good to go?

Thanks!!

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I have a DS lite that I own myself. So would you recommend that I get the acekard 2i and prep the card on mine. Then put it on her DSi XL and she should be good to go?

Thanks!!
Yup

Just download the latest updater (found on acekard website), put the correct updater in (the one that says dsl is used to update on a ds/dsl while the one that says dsi is used to update on a dsi/3ds; since you have a lite, use the one that says dsl), and run the updater on your ds lite. Your ak2i should be working on the latest dsi/3ds firmwares. After that, download the latest akaio firmware (akaio 1.8.8) which is the unofficial loader for ak2i (the acekard team approves it as 'official' though). AKAIO should boost your compatibility of games by a bunch.

If you need some more help, just ask. :)

dippindivin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Excellent write up.
Thank you for the fast responses you have been a great help and made my little sisters week I'm sure. =)
Oh, two more quick questions, what site do you recommend to purchase the acekard from for a US customer?
I was thinking about dscardworld dot com and whats the cheapest stable flashcard for my DS lite? The R4DS maybe?Thanks !

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Excellent write up.
Thank you for the fast responses you have been a great help and made my little sisters week I'm sure. =)
Oh, two more quick questions, what site do you recommend to purchase the acekard from for a US customer?
I was thinking about dscardworld dot com and whats the cheapest stable flashcard for my DS lite? The R4DS maybe?Thanks !
Take a look around shoptemp to see local/cheap places to buy from. Real Hot Stuff is a place with some great reviews, and it's local. You might want to take a look.

As for the cheapest stable flashcart for your lite, I'd say the original r4ds (make sure you don't get any that says 'sdhc' or 'i' or any of that) because it's very cheap and also has wood r4 support. The only downside is that it only supports micro SD cards (1gb or 2gb cards; doesn't support 4gb and above).

dippindivin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey,

I have a question. I'm trying to update my Acekard2i on my DS Lite. I want to prep it to work on the DSi.

I have the file: ak2ifw_update_3ds21__DSi143_onDSL_NO44.nds

But where do I put it? In what directory on the SD card?

Thanks!

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Hey,

I have a question. I'm trying to update my Acekard2i on my DS Lite. I want to prep it to work on the DSi.

I have the file: ak2ifw_update_3ds21__DSi143_onDSL_NO44.nds

But where do I put it? In what directory on the SD card?

Thanks!
The directory doesn't matter; as long as you can go to that directory using akaio, you'll be able to boot it up like any other game with .nds. I usually put it in the root or in the games' folder.

dippindivin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to setup my Wifi on my DS Lite without using a game? I don't see any wifi configuration options in the DS menu.

Also, do I need an internet connection to update my AceCard2i?

I created a folder called "Games" on my 4gb sdcard and dumped my ROM's into that folder. I also created a folder called "Update" and umped the ak2ifw_update_3ds21__DSi143_onDSL_NO44.nds file into that. When I load up the Acecard it drops me at a menu that has two icons.

1) is a MicroSD Card option
2) is a Slot 2 Card option

If I click the MicroSD card option it drops me to a blank screen like there are no files or folders on the card.
Slot 2 says I have no device in Slot 2, which is obvious.

What do I do here?

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Make sure you create folders on the root (the very first place that you see when you open up your micro sd card on your computer) and not inside the system folder (the folder that says __aio). By default, the system folder is hidden, which can be changed in the System Options (press start and go to System Options).

dippindivin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure you create folders on the root (the very first place that you see when you open up your micro sd card on your computer) and not inside the system folder (the folder that says __aio). By default, the system folder is hidden, which can be changed in the System Options (press start and go to System Options).

Perfect! This was the issue, do I need wifi setup and configured before I open the update nds file?

Thanks again man!

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

Perfect! This was the issue, do I need wifi setup and configured before I open the update nds file?

Thanks again man!
nope, just boot up the updater and do as prompted.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: GM all