Quick Bootmii to IOS question

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by rhoelsch, Feb 11, 2010.

Feb 11, 2010
  1. rhoelsch
    OP

Newcomer rhoelsch Member

United States
    If I can't run Bootmii from Boot2, where do I stand, softmod-wise, in the future? I loaded up a few homebrew apps and emu's, and I'm cool with them, but I'm sure I'll want to run backups in the future. Lots of older info out there... is there now a relatively simple way to get the NAND backed up? Point me toward a thread or something if you want, I just need info from an accurate source. If you just found out you had to run from ios, what would be your next steps, if any, on your machine? Or maybe I'm best off leaving everything alone?

I appreciate it!

2. foolontehill

Newcomer foolontehill Advanced Member

United States
    follow the guide on this forum, in the stickies.

couldnt be easier or safer.

3. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
  4. rhoelsch
    OP

Newcomer rhoelsch Member

United States
    So there's no reason not to continue plowing forward into backup territory... found some info from the fall that was still sketchy on the matter. I'll take a look at the links. Thanks

5. rhoelsch
    OP

Newcomer rhoelsch Member

United States
    ok, the Complete Softmod Guide doesn't indicate what to do after running Bootmii as IOS... just says if you can't run it as boot2, you have no brick protection, then next is the TruchaBug info. Kinda scary. Backed up the NAND...proceeding with the guide. Thanks

6. tylerzentz

Member tylerzentz GBAtemp Regular

United States
    if you are not able to install bootmii to boot2, you need to install bootmii to IOS and then install Priiloader. doing this will give you similar backup capabilities as boot2 would have offered.

7. longtom1

Member longtom1 Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen

Antarctica
    Not quite

but some brick protection is better than none

8. tylerzentz

United States
    i said similar protection, not the same. silly.

9. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Regardless, that's misleading to a noob. Priiloader adds virtually nothing to bootmii IOS's functionality.

10. tylerzentz

United States
    is it really that risky to restore a backup on bootmii IOS? what makes it so risky?

11. nabster92

United States
    Because it's not like an update where the only risk is losing power or something while it's installing the system menu or system menu IOS or something. On top of that risk there could be some sort of write failure when trying to modify EVERYTHING that was changed with the Wii. So if something goes wrong with one critical part and your system fails to load anymore, you're fucked.

If you have bootmii installed to boot2, nothing a NAND restore writes will touch that boot2 sector, so even if something does fuck up with a NAND restore with boot2 bootmii, it won't stop the bootmii menu from coming up when you start your Wii so you can just try the restore again until it writes it properly. Priiloader is installed later in the boot process so that can still potentially be fucked up a lot easier than boot2 bootmii.

12. nabster92

United States
    Doesn't IOS bootmii like detect if you have it installed to boot2 and give you some warning message if you don't? Did that message still come up in your case? Or did you also test it without boot2 bootmii with an infectus as a backup plan?

I don't doubt that IOS bootmii CAN restore fine in a lot of cases, but it still doesn't seem like something you should be comfortable with doing before you've exhausted your other options you would have at that point.

13. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    I'm sure BootMii IOS CAN restore backups perfectly
    But If you can access BootMii IOS, you can probably access the HBC too, which usually has better methods to solve the brick...

14. linuxares

Member linuxares GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    Install the Indiana Pwnz save also. Just incase, so you can do an auto-boot with the game, BUT then you need a modchip.

15. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    or cIOSCORP installed...

16. rhoelsch
    OP

Newcomer rhoelsch Member

United States
    Ok, too many conversations going on here. It looks as if my best bet would be to load Priiloader (seems complicated), then continue with replacing the Trucha bug. Am I still taking what you'd call a big risk? I'd like to be safe, but I'd rather not spend the next week reading up on how to execute a billion protection steps. Thanks

17. nabster92

United States
    Just follow the guides as they say. Priiloader should be installed after you're set on your system menu that you want because it won't survive any kind of system menu change. Do the trucha bug restoring step and get your cIOS and stuff installed and then install priiloader and enable some of the update blocking hacks.

18. rhoelsch
    OP

Newcomer rhoelsch Member

United States
    I'm on 4.2, and the HBC was set up yesterday, along with the NAND backup. Those were easy. I was under the impression that I'd be most likely to brick messing with the cios stuff and that's what I'd need Priiloader for. I'll stick to the guides like glue, and install Priiloader last, like you said. I still need to check the serial and see if I need to find an external drive. Hacking my handhelds was so much easier.... so am I at extra risk of bricking, or it's just harder to unbrick without bootmii on boot2?

19. nabster92

United States
    Really there aren't that many ways to brick just doing standard things. As long as you don't do anything terribly stupid you shouldn't brick your Wii. The most dangerous things are anything that deals with your system menu or system menu IOS. Having bootmii installed to boot2 would have just allowed you to recover from anything at any point in time no matter what you did unless it was some sort of hardware failure. The cIOS installation isn't really dangerous at all.

Basically don't uninstall IOS's ESPECIALLY system menu IOS's. Don't install stub system menu IOS's for the system menu IOS your system menu is currently using. These are the kinds of things priiloader won't save you from because it requires a working system menu IOS. Priiloader will help prevent bricks that aren't entirely your fault such as banner bricks which occur by installing a bad wad and things like that. It will also allow you to enable system menu hacks such as disabling disc updates and such which can also POTENTIALLY brick you although it likely wouldn't anyways (would just probably remove everything you did.)

Having bootmii technically is EASIER to unbrick a Wii in the event one occurs, but it's not always the best way to do it. Priiloader should suffice for anything that isn't just stupid on your part.

20. rhoelsch
    OP

Newcomer rhoelsch Member

United States
    ok, I'm done restoring the Trucha bug and restoring the IOSs... the disc channel has changed to updating the system menu...guessing I DON't want to do that... that's the end of my guide...am I now ok to install Preloader and does that also allow me to stop any system menu updates as well? Like I said, I'm out of instructions on my end here...

Thanks!