Hardware Questions regarding factory resets and digital downloads

Chickenhat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello everyone,
I just purchased a used 3DS XL due to arrive tommorow and I had some questions.

The system that I purchased comes with a couple of great games such as Bravely Default, Smash Bros, Fire Emblem: Awakening, RE: Revelations, but all of the games are on a 32GB SD card. I asked the seller and he told me that all the games are legit bought copies so that must mean they are digital download bought from the eShop. Could you transfer a cartridged game's data to a SD card?

Ok, so here is what was puzzling me. I was thinking of factory resetting the device, because I want to get that "new" feel if that makes sence, but I was concerned about the games. Does factory resetting the console wipe the games from the SD card? What about if the SD card is not inserted? Will I be able to play the games after the factory reset just by simply inserting the SD back in or will it corrupt their data somehow?

Can digital downlod versions of games bought from the eShop be re-downloaded multiple times? If so, does re-downloading games require some eShop account information? Is that account bound to the system and even after a factory reset does it stay the same? Does it require a specific username, email, password that I might have to obtain from the previous owner? Can I change information such as email adresses and passwords?

In short, the system comes with games on a SD card, I want to factory reset the device. Will I lose the games if I do? Can I re-download them and if so what information do I need to have in order to do so?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope I get some detailed answers.

misterb98

Moral Gateway User. Wat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, be wary that the seller can contact nintendo and have the games removed from that system. The games are likely tied to his NNID, unless they are old enough purchases to predate 7.X (last year, around this time?)

Second, formatting the device will result in those games being deleted. If you remove the sd card, they will not be, however the device will no long recognize them as valid. If the games are tied to the console's serial, you should be able to redownload them for free from the eShop, but otherwise they will not be recoverable.

Hope this helps :)

Chickenhat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
First off, be wary that the seller can contact nintendo and have the games removed from that system. The games are likely tied to his NNID, unless they are old enough purchases to predate 7.X (last year, around this time?)

Second, formatting the device will result in those games being deleted. If you remove the sd card, they will not be, however the device will no long recognize them as valid. If the games are tied to the console's serial, you should be able to redownload them for free from the eShop, but otherwise they will not be recoverable.

Hope this helps :)

The seller said that he hasn't put any login protection (whatever that means) and he likely won't remove the games, because he said that the reason he is selling the system was because he has played through the games and has gotten a Majora's Mask New 3DS XL and doesn't need two consoles. He seem very nice. Anyway, when I get the system how can I find out if a game is tied to the console's serial (serial number?)?

misterb98

Moral Gateway User. Wat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The seller said that he hasn't put any login protection (whatever that means) and he likely won't remove the games, because he said that the reason he is selling the system was because he has played through the games and has gotten a Majora's Mask New 3DS XL and doesn't need two consoles. He seem very nice. Anyway, when I get the system how can I find out if a game is tied to the console's serial (serial number?)?
When you get it, go to the eshop. If it shows "logging in as (someaccountname)", it is tied to a NNID. If it goes in without saying anything, or asks if you want to set up an account, the games are tied to the serial. You can proceed to create an account around them and the games will be yours :)

You can also redownload them after formatting.

Chickenhat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
When you get it, go to the eshop. If it shows "logging in as (someaccountname)", it is tied to a NNID. If it goes in without saying anything, or asks if you want to set up an account, the games are tied to the serial. You can proceed to create an account around them and the games will be yours :)

You can also redownload them after formatting.

Thanks for the information, kind sir.

Reactions: misterb98

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the console ends up having a NNID linked with a password; without the password, you will not be able to do any system transfers later on unless you do a system format to remove the account (and thus the games too)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse