Questions Regarding Custom Firmware, Nand, Getting Banned

Akhaz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, I've been using Atmosphere for about three months now, not even knowing anything about NAND and stuff. I've used 90DNS to block being able to connect to Nintendo's services, but only did this about three weeks ago.

My questions are:
1. Since I didn't use emuNAND, or use 90DNS to not connect to Nintendo's servers when I started hacking my Switch, does this mean that my console will eventually be banned?

2. I don't suppose there's any way to avoid the ban if that's the case? Saw on another thread that if the ban does hit, there's no way around it, but if I haven't been banned yet, I'd like to know if there's something I can do to avoid it.

3. I'm looking at https://www.cfwaifu.com/switch-incognito/ and wonder if this is a necessity if I'm already using 90DNS? Is it an extra layer of protection from connecting to Nintendo's servers or will changing the DNS settings be enough?

4. Regardless of whether my console will be banned eventually or not, I'm about to format my SD Card, Clean my NAND and everything. Should I clean my NAND and back that up before the format? Do I back up my Nintendo folder before cleaning the NAND? I've already backed up my saves with JKSV, so I'm not too worried about that. But is there anything I need from the Nintendo folder before the cleaning, or can I clean, back up then format?

wiiNinja

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you've played online with dirty Nand, there's no telling what's going to happen. If you don't want to be banned, then don't play online. If you're going to play online, then you need a clean Nand, one that you should have saved before hacking. Not sure if anyone can tell you for certain what's going to happen, regardless what you're about to do with SD and current Nand.

Akhaz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you've played online with dirty Nand, there's no telling what's going to happen. If you don't want to be banned, then don't play online. If you're going to play online, then you need a clean Nand, one that you should have saved before hacking. Not sure if anyone can tell you for certain what's going to happen, regardless what you're about to do with SD and current Nand.
If by play online with a dirty nand means going back to the stock firmware and playing online after installing and using custom firmware, then yep, I've done that. Guessing this counts as that? I only started looking into NAND's recently.

I've only gone online using custom firmware after finding out about and using 90DNS.

Last edited by Akhaz,

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
Depends what you did, if you installed any nsps then yes you're going to be banned, if you just used homebrew through title redirection then you'll be fine

Akhaz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Depends what you did, if you installed any nsps then yes you're going to be banned, if you just used homebrew through title redirection then you'll be fine
I did save backups and restores, the AIO Updater, EdiZon cheats. Not entirely sure what Title redirection is, but I didn't put in any homebrew games. I did dump my games into NSP's to use on emulators though.

The only time I started connecting to the internet while actually on CFW, was to download cheats through AIO Updater. But I made sure to use 90DNS by then. Before that, whenever I went into CFW, I was in airplane mode.

Last edited by Akhaz,

Tomato123

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I did save backups and restores, the AIO Updater, EdiZon cheats. Not entirely sure what Title redirection is, but I didn't put in any homebrew games. I did dump my games into NSP's to use on emulators though.

The only time I started connecting to the internet while actually on CFW, was to download cheats through AIO Updater. But I made sure to use 90DNS by then. Before that, whenever I went into CFW, I was in airplane mode.
No one can say for certain if you will or won't be banned. People who are way more careful than you have been banned while people who don't have a care in the world don't get banned. It's somewhat random but the more you do to avoid it, the lower the chance.

However, based on what you have/haven't done, you probably will be fine.

Akhaz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No one can say for certain if you will or won't be banned. People who are way more careful than you have been banned while people who don't have a care in the world don't get banned. It's somewhat random but the more you do to avoid it, the lower the chance.

However, based on what you have/haven't done, you probably will be fine.
Cool, thanks. Guess if it happens, it happens.

Reactions: Tomato123

Akhaz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Forgot to ask, if I do get banned, will I get some sort of notification or will I just not be able to connect to services like the eShop, or play Multiplayer?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.