Questions On How To Proceed With Update On Offline Switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Suavalicious, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Suavalicious
    OP

Suavalicious Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 31, 2018
    United States
    A few quick questions. I want to update my switch to a more recent firmware and will likely be using Atmosphere or SX OS.

OFW Version: 3.0.1
    Online: Never been online and turned on Airplane Mode right away.
    CFW/Homebrew: The only thing done so far is booted into RCM with a jig and loaded the ReSwitched splash screen with the rocket.

1) Before anything else, I want to backup my nand. Does firmware matter when/if I restore it? Example: Back up on 3.0.1 and restore on 5.1.0.

2) Will the RCM ReSwitched boot I've done likely get me banned?

3) Ive seen that clearing the log can result in a ban but would this matter since I have never been online and would I really need to clear them at the moment?

4) While I intend to go online at some point (maybe for Monster Hunter) I might not anytime soon. Would it be better for me to just backup my nand now and then just update with a cartridge or other means besides connecting to Nintendo?

I know that once it is updated, I will have burned fuses and cant downgrade. I am not interested in bypassing that since my end goal is to hopefully keep my Switch unbanned and then use emunand for cfw and ofw for online (Assuming that is ever released). While cold/Semi cold boot would be nice, it is not that vital for me as well.

Last edited by Suavalicious, Aug 27, 2018
  2. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    1. Only if you burn fuses when updating from 3.0.1 to 5.1 because if you do, your backup from 3.0.1 will no longer normally work on 5.1 without booting into RCM first
    2. Highly unlikely
    3. The tool to clear error logs is not even public anymore

3. Suavalicious
    OP

Suavalicious Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 31, 2018
    United States
    Thank you. Was going to do the backup on current firmware but I will do it after updating.