Questions on a softmodded Korean Wii bought in China

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by zentis, Feb 3, 2010.

1. zentis
    OP

Newcomer zentis Member

Bahamas, The
    Hi,

I've just bought a Wii in China… As with all wiis sold here, it was already softmodded when I bought it.

- How do I check that they softmodded it in a correct way (without destroying the original IOSes for example?

- When I try to connect to Wiiconnect24, I get a message saying that I need to update the system menu (or at least I guess so, my japanese is not that great with all the kanjis), what can I do to be able to connect?

- For reference, my Wii is a korean Wii (or at least was sold as such) and is running System Menu 4.0J so I guess they used AnyRegion Changer... Is it possible to switch it to english? How risky is it?

Also I've noticed a lot of guides that exclude korean wiis... Why is that?

I'm still trying to read all the faqs… but there's a lot of information to process…

Thanks!

2. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    The first thing you need to know is that if you update the Wii to 4.2 with a region-changed firmware, you WILL be bricked with Error 003. So don't touch the update button. Ever.

Second, you can switch to english with AnyRegionChanger if you feel like it.

Lots of guides don't mention Korean wiis because they have been a pain to work with in the past, and it's only over the past few months that they've been understood well enough to work with reliably.

3. zentis
    OP

Newcomer zentis Member

Bahamas, The
    Thanks, I'll be careful not to update :-)

What is so different for the Korean Wiis? Different protections?

I know that here they are quite popular because they are 20-30% cheaper....

4. Bumpman

Member Bumpman GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Uh... why would it be in japanese?

5. mauifrog

Member mauifrog DA KINE WiiHacker

United States
    Use Anyregion changer mod06 for 4.1 by qk
    password is QK.Mod
    Download

It will allow your to change to any region of 4.1, offline. I would not recommend downgrading to 3.2 with the official anyregion changer, it could go south. Just google the app above and load it in hbc, use ios249, change all of your settings to USA, save, then install 4.1u or e and reboot.

As for 4.2, you need to never update, from disk or online. Never ever ever update. Now unfortunately, your friend or kid may do you a nice favor and update for you. So you need to take some precautions. You need to install ios60 patched to ios70 with a 5 digit version #. The official ios70 is what bricks Korean wii's, so installing this should prevent it. Can post links here, sorry. cIOS70-v6174-v3.6 from cIOSCORP is a good solution.

6. TheShadowRunner

Member TheShadowRunner I'm like you, I have no name.

United States
    That's majorly inaccurate. No problems when switching a US Wii with 4.2 to JPN or JPN 4.2 Wii to US.
    The Error 003 seems to only impact Korean Wiis.

7. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I said "the Wii" in reference to his wii, which is korean console with region-changed firmware. It was not a general statement.

8. zentis
    OP

Newcomer zentis Member

Bahamas, The
    @fivex It's in japanese because for some reason (probably because of the characters) here in china, people prefer having the japanese version (nintendo doesn't sell the wii in China so there are no chinese versions). So most of the wiis are imported from korea, softmodded and region changed to japanese (there are no place here to buy official games, so any wii here will be softmodded)...

@mauifrog Thanks a lot for the info, so before using this anyregion changer for 4.1 should I first upgrade to 4.1?

I'll try installing cIOS70-v6174-v3.6 to protect myself...

Also, my wii doesn't allow to install bootmii as boot2, is it still useful to use to protect myself against bricking my wii?

9. TheShadowRunner

Member TheShadowRunner I'm like you, I have no name.

United States
    My bad then, besides I'm pretty sure you knew this already ^^;
    Just pointing out it's not a general rule.

10. mauifrog

Member mauifrog DA KINE WiiHacker

United States
    You do not need to update to 4.1 first, the app will update you to 4.1 on its own.

Unfortunately, bootmii as boot2 is not an option on any korean wii. You should install it as an ios and make a backup of nand and keys. You would also benefit from installing priiloader as a small forum of brick protection.