Questions on a Flash Cart

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by GameAssassin989, May 13, 2014.

1. GameAssassin989
    OP

GameAssassin989 Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 8, 2014
    United States
    Hello GBATemp Community,

I know this is my first posting her but, it will not be my last I promise.

So I have been looking around for a flash cart that if there is only one ROM on it, the cart will boot it​
    automatically. I have an opportunity to purchase a "128M Fire Linker" cart for pretty cheap. I've been looking around for some information on them but i'm just not finding exactly what i'm looking for.

1.) I have a Pokemon Fire Red ROM that is a size of 32MBs rather then 16MBs. ​
    *From what I have read it sounded that 26MB ROMs take up the 128MBs. which does't ​
    make sense to me.​

2.) I have also read that it can handle games saves but, also heard it does not. Im hoping someone might be able to shine some light on the subject for me.​
    *I personally hope it does support saves.​

P.S I just want to thank you in advance for your feedback, all is appreciated.

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    You probably can get some more modern carts to autoboot but it would be very annoying.

Anyway it sounds like the megabits vs megabytes thing is back to haunt us.

For various reasons the consoles using carts tend to get measured in megabits, some say it is a hangover from the 16 bit era where magazines would even print sizes ad others have other ideas. The fact remains it happens and stuck around into the GBA era.

It is actually very simple -- megabytes multiplied by 8 gives you megabits. Here a 32 megabyte ROM is 256 Megabits. No dumped* GBA ROM went beyond 256 Mbit, indeed most never went beyond 16 megabytes aka 128Mbit. The fire red ROM should not have been more than 16 megabytes/128Mbit, did you dump it yourself or is a hack?
    If you dumped it yourself (possibly with a DS dumping tool?) then you probably overdumped it, most DS dumpers for the GBA slot did this as GBA games do not have a size value anywhere in them. GBATA from http://www.no-intro.org/tools.htm should have a "fix overdump" option for what you want.
    ROM hacks can use more (every game can address 32 megabytes with no hassle at all), indeed it is one of the niceties of GBA ROM hacking compared to some of the earlier consoles.

2) It should support saves, only a handful of homebrew flash carts did not support saves. Pokemon games are annoying sometimes for this but it should just be a matter of patching.

By the way you might not be able to use this setup for fiddling with pal park for pokemon or any of the stadium games. PAL park had a patch for the DS game which might work (not sure if fire cards are supported, it would not be surprised if it worked but it was never actually added like some other GBA carts). Similar patches would be needed for stadium but nobody ever cared enough.

*there are some undumped films/videos, I believe some of the tourist trap "600 in 1" multigame carts would be above this and some homebrew like pogoshell could exceed it with the right flash cart.

3. GameAssassin989
    OP

GameAssassin989 Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 8, 2014
    United States
    Thanks for such a quick and in depth reply. After reading your reply Things made much more since about the Flash Cart size.

My Fire Red ROM is a hack in process. A group of us are working on it so the ROM was 32MBs because it was expanded but, we were working on two versions a 32MB one and a 16MB. After talking to the group I think we have decided to eliminate the 32MB one and just stick with the 16MB version.

Now, if we stick with the 16MB version we should fit the Flash Cart right? And also you were saying something about a patching the Fire Red ROM for saving. I never came across any patch for saving before, so i'm hoping you might be able to shed some more light on that if you can.

Again I want to thank you again for your reply it was extremely helpful.

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Every flash cart that is not the supercard or one its clones is basically "if it fits on the cart then it runs". However new saves did appear from time to time (sometimes after flash carts did not get updates for their software), you have things like VBA (the emulator) that did not have great save detection (why you might have had to change it) and depending upon the cart if you pack enough of the right ROMs (and pokemon did use one of the biggest save types) you might run out of save space.

What is more often the problem is pokemon's real time clock, however FR and LG do not have this so it is not a problem.
    On the no 32 meg edition you will have several flash cart users thank you for that one, yours is probably the only cart available these days that will not be able to run 32 megabyte games but it is annoying on the others that are commonly available today.

ROM space issue aside though you have GBATA that I mentioned earlier and that solves everything mentioned here, save for Emerald real time clock but it can still apply the IPS patch that people made to fix it.