Hacking Questions for people who've used NinjaPass

Spelvin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So I just got a DS, have never used a flash cart GBA or otherwise before, I'd like to give it a try and was thinking maybe this Ninjapass Jr. could be a good place to start. From what I can gather, the NinjaPass Jr. holds a small amount of data, can run homebrew like DSOrganize, and can later be used as a NoPass if I bought like a SuperCard or something. Is this correct? I mean I don't just want to jump in here and spend $150 bucks on a M3 Perfect, a NoPass, and micro SD card right away. Does NinjaPass work ok for a newbie?

PineappleH

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I remember I thought NinjaPass sucks. Long write time and krappy competibility list. I dunno I could be wrong.
tongue.gif

bullet007

Trophies
XP
Country
So I just got a DS, have never used a flash cart GBA or otherwise before, I'd like to give it a try and was thinking maybe this Ninjapass Jr. could be a good place to start. From what I can gather, the NinjaPass Jr. holds a small amount of data, can run homebrew like DSOrganize, and can later be used as a NoPass if I bought like a SuperCard or something. Is this correct? I mean I don't just want to jump in here and spend $150 bucks on a M3 Perfect, a NoPass, and micro SD card right away. Does NinjaPass work ok for a newbie?

First, not all homebrew runs on the Ninjapass (which has crappy homebrew compatibility).
Yes, it can be used as a NoPass.
It works ok for someone new (but there is currently a proble, with having more than 3 games on it at once)

I got Brain Age, Top Gun, Castlevania DoS (ripped and trained, 15MB), and Sudoku mania on mine. The first 3 work A OK, but Sudoku does not boot.

D

Deleted User

To try out some games and get a feeling for what you really want the Ninjapass/UFP solution should be okay (but keep in mind that some games are 1Gbit already). And since you plan to buy the 'Jr.' version the multi roms issue doesn't concern you .
I didn't test any homebrew with my UFP so far because I simply didn't have the time so I can't comment on this.
happy.gif

It's in an early stage so don't expect too much. You need to select the save type for almost all games by yourself (at least until they provide a better 'savetype.ini' file) and some games do not work without the menu, because you need to sync the saver first before you start the game.
The usage and compatibility reminds me somewhat of my first 64Mbit Visoly GBA flashcart back in 2001 though which was far from being a perfect solution but worked okay for me (until I got bigger/newer carts
tongue.gif
).

Long story short, for about 34.99 USD you're getting an okay product that you can keep using as a nopass if you decide to buy another cart.
smile.gif

Tank5890

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
To the people with the Ninjapass, has anyone tested using Download Play games with unflashed DSs as recievers? That's the main advantage I can see this over a NoPass + GBA Cart.

(Mods, feel free to lock my previous thread as this place seems more appropriate.)

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I haven't tried download play because it takes so damn long to write the cart that I just can't be arsed at the moment. As to the original poster, I wouldn't recommend this cart under any circumstances. I could produce a better flashcart on the toilet after a heavy meal. Maybe even after a light meal with a fair bit of pushing..

Get something else, seriously.

D

Deleted User

To the people with the Ninjapass, has anyone tested using Download Play games with unflashed DSs as recievers? That's the main advantage I can see this over a NoPass + GBA Cart.

(Mods, feel free to lock my previous thread as this place seems more appropriate.)
There is no advantage because it simply does not work. I tested it with Mario Kart, my 2 dsl and my normal ds. The receiving DS crashes after the Nintendo Logo fades away ...
What is the point that leads people to believe it works with this UFP/Ninjapass thingy? I mean, the secure area is decrypted in all ROMs I downloaded so far and no ds without flashme should be able to run this decrypted code because it's simply not meant to, right?! Am I missing something seriously here?! If so, please enlighten me ...
happy.gif

Tank5890

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
What is the point that leads people to believe it works with this UFP/Ninjapass thingy? I mean, the secure area is decrypted in all ROMs I downloaded so far and no ds without flashme should be able to run this decrypted code because it's simply not meant to, right?! Am I missing something seriously here?! If so, please enlighten me ...Â
happy.gif
Some topics say it's due to the secure area, some say it's because to run a ROM from a GBA flash cart, it needs to be patched, which invalidates the RSA keys. I don't know which is true, but I've yet to find a better source about Download Play than word of mouth on these forums. The best bet would therefore be listening to people who've tested the UFP/Ninjapass, or eventually the DS-X.

D

Deleted User

Ah ... okay, I simply didn't think of patching being a reason, stupid me.
smile.gif

I tried again and it seems like you can't play single cart multiplayer (using the UFP) if you flash the ROM leaving that little box saying 'No menu mode' unchecked. Mario Kart and also SM64DS crashed when trying to start the game on the receiving ds in menu mode but SM64DS (and also Meteos) played fine without it.
One of the problems if you don't use that horrible menu is that you can't get Mario Kart (and several other games) to work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: That's what I like to see B-)