Questions before updating to 4.2...

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by dartdude6, Oct 5, 2009.

Oct 5, 2009
  1. dartdude6
    OP

Member dartdude6 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm currently on a softmodded v3.3U console with BootMii, cIOS (I don't remember what rev), mIOS that came with GC Backup Launcher 0.2, DVDX, Homebrew Channel, USB Loader GX channel, and a Neogamma R6 Channel. I'm looking to update to 4.2 because of Wii Motion Plus, SDHC, and some other stuff. Anyways, will updating through Nintendo brick my console? I don't care if it will block my homebrew, since I could always use Bannerbomb on 4.2. I'm sure this has been asked many times but help would be very appreciated.

2. G0dLiKe

Member G0dLiKe who needs a title ;)

United States
    As long as you dont have cIOSCORP installed it should be safe to update.

Make sure to install the latest BootMii, HBC and DVDX through the new hackmii installer before updating because it will survive the update, the old one wont.

EDIT: After updating refer to this guide: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901

3. Deviyl

Member Deviyl GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Not really much sense in upgrading via Nintendo to 4.2. It's more of a headache at the moment than it's worth. Use Wanin's updater to get you to 4.1. Wii Motion+ works fine in 4.1.

4. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    4.2 does absolutely nothing of this. It doesn't add any features at all. It just deletes homebrew, nothing more. Update to 4.1 instead.

5. dartdude6
    OP

Member dartdude6 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm on 4.2 already. I installed bootmii, Homebrew Channel, and DVDX. But I also saved a NAND backup of my 3.3U system right before I updated to 4.2. Can I use BootMii on 4.2U to restore my 3.3U's NAND and if so, will that bring me back to exactly how my Wii was before 4.2U?

And if I get back to 3.3U, how do I upgrade to 4.1U?

6. xzxero

Member xzxero ♥bong milk does good for the brain♥

United States
    yes you can revert back to 3.3 with your NAND.bin

to get to 4.1 follow my guide.